• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Not much of a surprise. And people wonder why morale at IMPD is in the toilet and officers just sit in parking lots and watch movies (or surf INGO).
    Not much of a surprise, and I don't wonder about the morale. But this maybe might not be a reason for it. Was it to shut up the crowd/because they thought the officer was in the wrong? Or was it simply a bean counter thing, cost of the trial, cost of the appeal win or lose, chance of losing at trial/appeal, vs cost of simply paying out? If the first yeah I agree. If the second, yeah it sucks but it is what it is. I don't necessarily agree with it, but can understand the reasoning behind it. I think that reasoning is stupid, because it will simply lead to more BS suits and BS settlements but I can understand it at least.

My county was hiring a while back, might still be. But yeah probably be taking a heck of a cut in pay, but cost of living is much lower. But then again the boredom. Would you rather be herding hood rats or herding cows/horses off the road? Gets a bit busier during summer/tourist season but even then...

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Dreasjon Reed was a dumb ****.

Some may disagree and I welcome the opportunity to discuss.
    Anyone disagreeing I don’t want to waste my time with. They’re either sone woke piece of **** or so ****ing stupid that I would literally lose IQ standing near them because the vacuum in their head is so ****ing strong they pull everyone near them down.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Not much of a surprise, and I don't wonder about the morale. But this maybe might not be a reason for it. Was it to shut up the crowd/because they thought the officer was in the wrong? Or was it simply a bean counter thing, cost of the trial, cost of the appeal win or lose, chance of losing at trial/appeal, vs cost of simply paying out? If the first yeah I agree. If the second, yeah it sucks but it is what it is. I don't necessarily agree with it, but can understand the reasoning behind it. I think that reasoning is stupid, because it will simply lead to more BS suits and BS settlements but I can understand it at least.

My county was hiring a while back, might still be. But yeah probably be taking a heck of a cut in pay, but cost of living is much lower. But then again the boredom. Would you rather be herding hood rats or herding cows/horses off the road? Gets a bit busier during summer/tourist season but even then...
    I sometimes wonder if the math to settle these things really does work out. On a case-by-case basis, I’m sure it’s cheaper than fighting it in court. But when you create a reputation for giving out tens/hundreds of thousands any time someone sues, I start to wonder if becomes more costly. At some point the city becomes known as an easy target.

I know of a successful local business that has a policy of fighting every lawsuit, even if it’s easier to settle. I would guess that word gets out amongst attorneys, but maybe that’s wishful thinking.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I sometimes wonder if the math to settle these things really does work out. On a case-by-case basis, I’m sure it’s cheaper than fighting it in court. But when you create a reputation for giving out tens/hundreds of thousands any time someone sues, I start to wonder if becomes more costly. At some point the city becomes known as an easy target.

I know of a successful local business that has a policy of fighting every lawsuit, even if it’s easier to settle. I would guess that word gets out amongst attorneys, but maybe that’s wishful thinking.
    Yep that's why I said IMO that reasoning is stupid.

Is it the city or an insurance company making the decision?
    And that's a good question as well.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

The officer was cleared by the department, the Special Prosecutor, and the State Police. He did nothing wrong. Money was paid because the City "leaders" are afraid to stand up for themselves.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

That's the problem. They look at one case, and say it's cheaper.
    But then, more and more cases come.

I think giving in is the problem, costing us more and more.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The officer was cleared by the department, the Special Prosecutor, and the State Police. He did nothing wrong. Money was paid because the City "leaders" are afraid to stand up for themselves.
    I agree completely that he did nothing wrong. I hope you didn't take it that I was questioning his actions. I was talking about who approved the payout. And as someone asked, was the decision by the city or the insurers or joint?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I agree completely that he did nothing wrong. I hope you didn't take it that I was questioning his actions. I was talking about who approved the payout. And as someone asked, was the decision by the city or the insurers or joint?
    I'm sure it was a joint decision, but I am leaning toward it being a decision pushed by the Chief and the Mayor.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm sure it was a joint decision, but I am leaning toward it being a decision pushed by the Chief and the Mayor.
    I'm of joking/kind of being serious here... instead of throwing money at the problem, maybe send them a bill? Not all encompassing but a quick list below.

Now Room Temperature Thug (NRTT)

- Cost of investigating drive-by shootings (later confirmed by social media of NRTT that it was the NRTT)

- Cost of high-speed pursuit of NRTT on I-65 (Chief Taylor was in that one IIRC, that's some bucks)

- Cost of the multiple investigations into an Officer who ended a significant threat to countless lives, while at great risk of his own life. The NRTT did shoot at the Officer after all.)

- Cost of the production of the timeline provided at the press conference. (Outstanding presentation, a lot of time from a lot of people not doing anything else... like their regular jobs)

- Overtime costs for hundreds of Officers on duty in preparation for the riots after the press conference. (Thankfully the city didn't burn.)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom