+1 for a Hendricks County Deputy (story)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    On my way home I was asked by the lady of the house to pick up some groceries on my way home from work. Okay, no problem, and I promptly got a paper and pen, because I knew that a list ensued. When I drive my pickup, my firearm goes under into the center of the bench seat with the flip down console. So I stop at her grocery store, I don't really care where the food comes from, but she does:dunno:. It's one of those compromise things, know what I mean? Anyhow, I digress. So I park the truck, kinda sloppy I admit, but within the lines. I retrieve my snubby .38 in a paddle holster at three o'clock,and throw my hoodie on. You can't even see it with the hoodie, because I like them a little bigger. Anyhow, I go shopping, check everything off the list, call to double check she hasn't thought of anything else, and checkout. Only took about 15 mins or so. I was just ready to go home.

So I put everything in the truck, and return my cart. At which point, I am approached by a fellow who begins with "Excuse me sir". I thought that I had forgotten something, so I turn around and am met with an LEO. He's roughly six inches taller than me (I'm about 5'10"), and a pretty built fellow. Something close to the following ensues.
    "Hello Officer, how have you been?"
    "Pretty good, how are you?"
    "Just picking up some groceries... Is there something I can help you with?"
    "I was wondering if you could show me your DL, and LTCH please?"

I gave him a strange look to which he replied
    "You are carrying aren't you?"
    "Yes, did my shirt come up, and security call you?"
    "No, I could just tell."
    So I show him my DL, and LTCH, and he says
    "You turn 21 next week?"
    "Yes sir, a week from today."
    "How did you obtain a handgun?"
    "My grandfather gave it to me."
    "So why do you carry?"
    (You ever have one of those moments, where you know the proper and respectful answer, and you just can't help yourself?)
    "In case the Apaches attack." I said it dead serious with a straight face.
    "What?"
    "In case the Apaches attack. They are masters of guerrilla warfare. I have to constantly be vigilant.:D"

He looked at me for a moment, and just started laughing. Hysterically. Then he wished me a good day, and to have a safe drive home.:laugh:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    images

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Technically, only the Illini, Miami or Shawnee were native to Indiana. Although about a dozen tribes passed through and left some influence at some time or another. With the Shawnee being the most prone to war of the three.

I know. I'm partial to Cherokee as I have some Cherokee blood in my veins ;):rockwoot:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    "You are carrying aren't you?"
    "Yes, did my shirt come up, and security call you?"
    "No, I could just tell."

"In case the Apaches attack. They are masters of guerrilla warfare. I have to constantly be vigilant.:D"

While most people wouldn't notice, I think those who carry can often spot bulges on others. At least I do.

Kudos on the "Apache" response.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    While the incident played out as well as could be expected...

Why the +1? You were doing nothing illegal, no complaint was filed and you were asked for your papers. Not to mention asked a question about how you obtained your firearm... does not the ignorant cop realize that it's only illegal to buy a handgun from a federal dealer prior to turning 21? Private party sales are completely legal at age 18 in Indiana.

Sorry, I don't see how this warrants a +1.

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Maybe the LEO was just curious about where he had gotten the firmearm and was not attempting to trample on any of his rights. Also the "Apache" comment is hillarious. Good interaction.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Why the +1? You were doing nothing illegal, no complaint was filed and you were asked for your papers. Not to mention asked a question about how you obtained your firearm... does not the ignorant cop realize that it's only illegal to buy a handgun from a federal dealer prior to turning 21? Private party sales are completely legal at age 18 in Indiana.

Great comeback with the Apache line....

I agree with Prometheus, though. Unless you are suspected of committing a crime, I don't see a reason to stop you and ask for identification. That is fishing at its best, and an illegal stop/search at its worst.

-1 for detaining without cause
    +1 for laughing at your joke
    Getting "groceries" for your GF, priceless....

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville

Not knowing the OP, perhaps he looks under the age of 18 and the LEO was only verifying age. Kinda like the card everyone under 40 for smokes now.

Had the OP been lets say a minor with a handgun, or even not a good guy but a bad guy the LEO was doing some investigative work to make sure the individual who has a weapon is legal. Can you fault an LEO for following up on something like this? There are a lot of What if's that can come in to play on this scenario and we don't really need to get into them here, but just sayin I don't have a problem with an LEO following up on a hunch like this, it was less than 2 minutes out of the OP's time for an officer to check to make sure a weapon was being carried legally.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Let me understand this...
    You are coming OUT of the store WITH an armload of groceries and he see's you are printing and decides that you may be a threat.
    What did he think?
    That you were going to leave the groceries in the car and go back in and rob the place.
    I would really like to know what caused him to ask in the first place.

I always like the subdued insult for a case like that... "Well, I used to pack a cop around but he was heavy and I couldn't afford the donuts anymore".
    I am sure the Apache line will get you into less trouble.

Top Bottom