• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Two great quotes from the article; "The 1994 Justice Department report concluded: "Boys who own legal firearms... are even slightly less delinquent than nonowners of guns." Specifically, 14 percent of kids with legal firearms committed street crimes, compared to 24 percent of kids with no guns at home."

And; "The pro-gun control Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence declined to comment."

What antisfail to see is that education can and will be the needed answer.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    "I would not want my child to be involved with something like that... Those guns, they should have been behind glass -- to teach the kids that you don't want to deal with this gun, because it kills." Holtz told FoxNews.com.
    "I am coming from the heart of a woman, a mother, a grandmother," she added.

I'm so glad that she has spoken so eloquently for the cause of ignorance and fear, which will OF COURSE lead to more gun safety, less crime, and the solution to all other problems as well.

:xmad:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    "I would not want my child to be involved with something like that... Those guns, they should have been behind glass -- to teach the kids that you don't want to deal with this gun, because it kills." Holtz told FoxNews.com.
    "I am coming from the heart of a woman, a mother, a grandmother," she added....

Funny... that's the same message and the same mindset Paul Helmke and Chuckie Schumer have used for years!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Instead of replying to each other, we should find a link to voice support for that PD!!!

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I'm not sure how to look at this. There is something unsettling about this because it feels like a military recruiter almost. I guess, as I'm getting older, I feel that enforcing our laws is what law enforcement is suppose to do. How they do it and with what is largely not important. Law enforcement isn't about the gear that gets used on the job. Showing kids tear gas launchers will not help them understand law enforcements role in society. All it kind of says is "Hey, if you want to shoot stuff like this at people, come join us". IDK just my thoughts. Personally I couldn't do what these officers are doing with a good conscience. I would rather interact with the children in a way which helps them understand the moral obligation law enforcement has to society and its importance in society.

Why do I say this? Because I feel that those kids will walk away with the memory of holding an M4, and not a better understanding about the moral role of law enforcement in society, the type of skills or interests someone needs to have to be in it. That's all. So, I'm not saying what they did was wrong. I'm kinda playing devil's advocate here. You've got to ask yourself what type of message your sending to someone by the way you interact with them. I guess I feel like they are marketing to kids on the 'adventure" side of the job and I don't think that is good.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'm not sure how to look at this. There is something unsettling about this because it feels like a military recruiter almost. I guess, as I'm getting older, I feel that enforcing our laws is what law enforcement is suppose to do. How they do it and with what is largely not important. Law enforcement isn't about the gear that gets used on the job. Showing kids tear gas launchers will not help them understand law enforcements role in society. All it kind of says is "Hey, if you want to shoot stuff like this at people, come join us". IDK just my thoughts. Personally I couldn't do what these officers are doing with a good conscience. I would rather interact with the children in a way which helps them understand the moral obligation law enforcement has to society and its importance in society.

I can understand how one would view it as "recruiting." I think the reasoning behind it is to show kids that the police aren't scary men with big guns whom they should fear. Let them see that the firearm is just a tool to fight "the bad guys" and that the police shouldn't scare them. I remember when I was a kid they would have us all go to the gym and turn out the lights. Then they would have a fireman in his full gear crawl across the floor like he was searching a burning building. The idea was that with his flashlight and Darth Vader breathing from the SCBA he could be kind of scary crawling through my bedroom in the dark in the event of a fire. By letting us see it in a non-threatening setting we could sort of understand what to expect should we ever find ourselves in trouble. I think this is the same idea.

Top Bottom