• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, she said that she saw that I had applied on her computer and asked if I was "successful". When I gave an affirmative she asked if she could see it. I didn't consider it fishing since she already had the info and I didn't see a reason not to oblige her request. She asked if I had my firearm on me and when I said yes that was all that was said about it. She was friendly and I was friendly and we both went on our way safe and sound. Sorry if I wasn't a stickler for my rights and all that but I truly feel that it is a give and take proposition. If both parties are civil and no rights are being stomped on or laws being broken why not have open communication? If I had to do it all over again I would do it the exact same way. :twocents:

I know I will get jumped on for this But........................
    Proper position of hands.....proper attitude and friendly exchange...... usually ends well.

If you or LEO starts out on the wrong "Note" then things get complicated.
    This has been my experience and being a one time street racer I have got a lot of experience. Just saying.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    People are free to not exercise their rights. That is a right, to not exercise a right.

What about if they want to search your home? You're at home not doing anything. You aren't breaking any laws. Why not let them?

That is a bit different from the OP's intent but no....never let them in. Make them work for it.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    This is cool and all but no one makes a thread for me when I do what I'm supposed to at work.

NiDanHeno

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    New Palestine, IN
    Thank you for posting. Good to hear the good news on occasion and it also helpful to read about how other have handled such encounters. For what it is worth, seemed textbook to me.

Mos Eisley

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    This is cool and all but no one makes a thread for me when I do what I'm supposed to at work.

I doubt that your work affects the rights of gun owners. Hence the discussion.

I don't see how anyone can be upset about LTCH info being available to law enforcement. I would expect a government agency to be able to access government records.

Sheepdog2305

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yes, it will now show your LTC status when we run your DL. I'm finding people who applied several months prior that show approved but have never recieved their pink card also. Seems like printing and mailing those has become an issue. 99.9% of LEO's are pro 2A and more than not are veterans also!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yes, it will now show your LTC status when we run your DL. I'm finding people who applied several months prior that show approved but have never recieved their pink card also. Seems like printing and mailing those has become an issue. 99.9% of LEO's are pro 2A and more than not are veterans also!
    Interesting... So if you applied and had a friend that was an officer - would they be able to check or would that be classified a 'misuse of power' etc?

I have had my lifetime for a while, got it long before this 'panic', but just curious.

Sheepdog2305

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not sure Mike, I believe that they have to be working (course of their duties type of thing) IDACS has lots of rules so it wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't allowed.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The in car laptops aren't always up to date with the LTCH info. I don't know why. Its like its getting it info from a backup server or something, and you can show expired or "applied" but have your new one in the main system. If you run it through OpenFox/Messenger it goes straight to the current database and is accurate, but those consoles aren't mobile. That's why we run them over the radio to be sure.

You used to have to run the check separately, but now when you run a driver's license it automatically checks for LTCH and warrants as well.

1984 did come a little late didnt it?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I doubt that your work affects the rights of gun owners. Hence the discussion.

I don't see how anyone can be upset about LTCH info being available to law enforcement. I would expect a government agency to be able to access government records.

Some of us think that carrying a handgun is a RIGHT and it should not be taxed let alone have to get state approval to exercise it.

Sheepdog2305

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    That's because you consider yourself a good driver and a responsible gun owner. You have to agree that there are some people that just should not be driving because they are a danger to themselves or others. I agree with you, but there are exceptions for everything. Not everything is cut and dry.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Some of us feel the same way about traveling as well:twocents:

Oh! I love tangents!

Then who would pay for the roads we travel on? Carrying a handgun only costs the amount of the gun, ammo and whatever accessories you want, all paid for by the owner.

Are you going to build the roads you drive on? Or are you talking about a driver's license?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    That's because you consider yourself a good driver and a responsible gun owner. You have to agree that there are some people that just should not be driving because they are a danger to themselves or others. I agree with you, but there are exceptions for everything. Not everything is cut and dry.

Is that logic applied to handgun owners as well?

Sheepdog2305

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Is that logic applied to handgun owners as well?

Yep, Brian Anderson murdered his mother and then killed IPD Officer Jake Laird. He was known to be mentally unstable and should've never had firearms. It's people like him that do crazy **** that will ruin it all for the rest of us.

All law abiding persons that aren't diagnosed as being mentally ill should be left alone with no restrictions. In my opinion. I know not everyone here will agree with me, but I am as far right as it gets and I still believe that not everything is as cut and dry as you would like it.

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Yep, Brian Anderson murdered his mother and then killed IPD Officer Jake Laird. He was known to be mentally unstable and should've never had firearms.

All law abiding persons that aren't diagnosed as being mentally ill should be left alone with no restrictions. In my opinion. I know not everyone here will agree with me, but I am as far right as it gets and I still believe that not everything is as cut and dry as you would like it.
    There lies the big question, who makes that determination?

Top Bottom