• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    As I understand things, once you are removed from your vehicle, there really isn't a reason for the officer to remove your firearm. Also, he doesn't need to see your registration. He can get that info from his computer.
    even though he can get it from his computer he can still write you a ticket for not providing it, heck, I was just recently written a warning for forgetting to sign the back of mine...$130 for forgetting to sign a piece of paper. However in not sure what the exact infraction or whatever is called.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'll just say this..

THIS is why my Registration and proof of Insurance are not in my glove box, but on my passenger side visor..

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    As I understand things, once you are removed from your vehicle, there really isn't a reason for the officer to remove your firearm. Also, he doesn't need to see your registration. He can get that info from his computer.

This, the only time I have ever been pulled over the officer only wanted my ID. Checked everything else out on his computer.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Unless you are british...dont use the term "smashingly" around the date or she is gonna drop you like a bad habit.

Reading the story I got bored and almost fell asleep....but I guess you could have added in some more details to keep us all interested....LIKE WHAT DID YOU DO TO GET PULLED OVER! :dunno:

Mr Police man seems to be scared of properly licensed people to have a gun within 5 ft of them. What would he have done if it would have been on your hip? Maybe officer needs to unwad his panties. :dunno:

:popcorn:

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I'll just say this..

THIS is why my Registration and proof of Insurance are not in my glove box, but on my passenger side visor..

^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

Any time an officer has to witness some one reach into a glove box it sends that feeling into there stomach. just my:twocents:.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    ^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

Any time an officer has to witness some one reach into a glove box it sends that feeling into there stomach. just my:twocents:.

I get the same feeling when I hear about a officer coonfingerin' a persons gun that is totally legal to have it. Ive never heard of a gun going off in someone holster(glove compartment) and no hand on it. Have you? :twocents:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    When I get pulled over I usually have my license and registration out way before the cop makes it over to my window. Couldn't you have taken the registration out before he got to the window? Then it would a non-issue

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Mr Police man seems to be scared of properly licensed people to have a gun within 5 ft of them. What would he have done if it would have been on your hip? Maybe officer needs to unwad his panties. :dunno:

:popcorn:

he probably wouldn't have done anything since the OP reaching for the firearm would not be a part of the traffic stop?

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I get the same feeling when I hear about a officer coonfingerin' a persons gun that is totally legal to have it. Ive never heard of a gun going off in someone holster(glove compartment) and no hand on it. Have you? :twocents:

Nope sure havn't. that wasnt my point. my point is. If you were a officer ( and maybe you are? idk) if you walked up to a car and seen a guy fiddling around all over the pasenger side of the car would it give you that feeling in your stomach? ME i would much rather walk up to a car and see a guy reach up to the sun shade for a registration. And if it is done this way no need to watch officer handle your gun. were up to 6 cents :twocents:. lol

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    If I where in this situation I would of had the registration out of the glove box before the officer walked up to the door. This would prevent him from seeing or knowing about your private property. In my opinion he had no business asking you to step out of your vehicle while he conducted an illegal search of your property.

RFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    West side Indy
    being that your gun was in your glovebox with your registration i see no problem with the officer not wanting you reaching in there. LTC doesnt mean you arent a safety risk. the officer was respectful so no harm.

L. Cranston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    ne. Indiana
    One of my friends did that "get the registration from the glove box before the officer gets there" thing and it earned him an officer on each side of the car with a gun aimed at his face. Seems not to be the best procedure...

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    This is difficult for me.
    I understand that the officer has to be safe.
    However, I don't want him handling my gun anymore than he wants me handling it.
    It's just a free warrantless search IMHO.
    But, so far, no one has posted a good answer.
    How about this:

:rockwoot:NEVER leave your gun in the same place as your registration.:rockwoot:
    . . . . . . . . . . :chest:

rocket87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    I understand that the officer has to be safe.
    However, I don't want him handling my gun anymore than he wants me handling it.
    It's just a free warrantless search IMHO.
    How about this:

:rockwoot:NEVER leave your gun in the same place as your registration.:rockwoot:

Yea i no longer put my gun in the glove box. I got pulled over in Jan in south bend. I gave the officer my license and ltch and told him my registration and gun were in the glovebox.
    He shined his flashlight on the glove box since it was about 10pm and told me to get the registration. I gave him the registration and he told me not to touch the handgun. He proceeded to write many ticket and told me to have a good night. I was shocked i expected to get taken out of the car and have the handgun taken out of the car.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In

How about this:

How about this good answer: Don't do things that cause you to get pulled over. Obey the laws. You are a gun owner and LTCH holder. You are expected to be a proper person.
    Don't be texting while driving causing you to weave in and out of your lane.
    Follow the speed limit.
    Pay attention to your driving, not to 40 other things.
    It's really simple to avoid encounters with LEO's.

IF you get pulled over, turn on the interior light if after dark, turn off engine. Put both hands on the steering wheel at the 2 and 10 position, sit still and don't be jacking around reaching for things. Wait for officer to appear and tells you how to proceed. Unless of course you like having a pistol or two pointed at your face, then ignore said advice.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    How about this good answer: Don't do things that cause you to get pulled over. Obey the laws. You are a gun owner and LTCH holder. You are expected to be a proper person.
    That would make too much sense!

That said, there are plenty of reasons to get pulled over such as having a tail light go out and not noticing or even having it go out mid-trip [they don't fail when not in use all on their own.]

Now if you're driving around with a light out and you know it you're just asking to be stopped. Also, if you're driving around exceeding the speed limit, not coming to complete stops at stop signs, etc you don't really have any room to complain about being stopped in the first place.

But you know it all makes too much sense :).

It's really simple to avoid encounters with LEO's.
    Except in situations where you couldn't have helped it - such as the example above with a burnt out light.

IF you get pulled over, turn on the interior light if after dark, turn off engine. Put both hands on the steering wheel at the 2 and 10 position, sit still and don't be jacking around reaching for things. Wait for officer to appear and tells you how to proceed. Unless of course you like having a pistol or two pointed at your face, then ignore said advice.
    I've always just gotten my registration and license ready to go before they got up to the window and never had issues. Then again grabbing my driver's license and registration isn't that difficult and takes little motion on my part.

If an officer wants to be extra suspicious of me because I reached for something - go for it. "What were you reaching for?" "My license and registration."

I've been stopped maybe 3 times since I was 16? Only given a ticket once as the other times I think it was more of looking for RS/PC to stop me and see what I was up to - young, in a nice car, and out late at night.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    Usually.

Top Bottom