• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I had to finally put the thing on the bottom shelf. I've 'zeroed' the scale according to the directions and discovered it's crap or I just cannot use it properly. I load at the minimum grain weights and it just seemed like my rounds produced much more recoil than those I produced at Andrew's class. So, I zeroed the scale again and produced more rounds, but with the same result.

I just got an electronic scale and discovered my measurements on the Lee scale have been high! I produced a 4.5 grain load and it was actually 5.1 grains! No, it wasn't a 'hot load,' but still outside the limit I was desiring to produce. I've ditched the Lee scale and believe my recoil should be much softer, which is my desire.

Maybe I'm the only one who has had this issue, but just in case, check your loads to be sure.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I did the same thing with mine after my first load! My friend who was showing me how to reload was trying to use it and said it was complete crap as well. We used it for the first batch, then I went and bought an RCBS electronic scale. Much better now!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Daggone, guys! I've used mine for years with no problems.:dunno: Sounds like a problem with techniuqe to me.:):
    Now that cheap a$$ powder measure they sell is a different story.:rolleyes:

No doubt it's my technique. I've known others who have said they haven't experienced problems. Have you ever validated the weight of your production with the use of an electronic scale?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have one, and have checked it against a hornady electronic scale, and have not had any issues with it not being spot on. I tend to use the electronic scale for convenience, but when I am trying for the best accuracy, I still pull out the old lee safety scale to verify charge weights.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    No doubt it's my technique. I've known others who have said they haven't experienced problems. Have you ever validated the weight of your production with the use of an electronic scale?

Yup. Doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm not saying you didn't get defective equipment. It's a pretty simple tool and once zeroed b4 use it should be hard to booger up. Pistol charges are so small and a tiny difference in weight makes a BIG difference in pressure. Even magnum small pistol primers in a 9mm case with reduced loads will give you serious pressure signs.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have one, and have checked it against a hornady electronic scale, and have not had any issues with it not being spot on. I tend to use the electronic scale for convenience, but when I am trying for the best accuracy, I still pull out the old lee safety scale to verify charge weights.

I need to find a good YouTube video. I guess it's seeing the little lines to get the .00 measurement that screws me up.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I need to find a good YouTube video. I guess it's seeing the little lines to get the .00 measurement that screws me up.
    I've got the Lee scale and was a little baffled about reading it so I watched the two videos below to get more comfortable with it. I haven't had any problems since (granted I've had to go back and watch the videos again just to make sure). Every now and then I'll check it with the electronic scale every now and then and it's usually right on. I'm relatively new to reloading so I'm admittedly over cautious but the Lee scale has been pretty solid for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh06uQKQZbA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUAiekOEOg0&feature=related

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm using the same scale as well with no issues. I was a little lost at first because the instructions suck. I found a good video on You Tube and figured it out. I had it zeroed correctly, but I did not understand the increments markings. I set it to the grains I want and go.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    No issues with mine... yet. I use mine to find the correct auto disk. Once that's done I only use the scale to verify every 1000 rounds or so. I hear RCBS makes a very good scale also.

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    I have found my scale to be consistent and accurate- really quite an engineering marvel for $25! I still use my 20 year old model to check-weigh for other scales.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    There's a really nice RCBS 502 scale in the classifieds, just saying'! :):

Check weights are mandatory equipment for a reloader, IMHO.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I will eventually make the move to a digital scale and use the Lee as a back up. As I said before though, the Lee has been very accurate.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    mines a 1982 model and it is just as accurate as my Lyman 1000 XP......is your table dead level?......take a level and make sure it's level......out of plumb with throw them off....:twocents:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I had issues with Lee Factory Service when I started reloading that soured me on Lee in general. I ended up with a Lyman. I had a few problems using it at first and bought a digital scale. I am now back to using the Lyman after the digital scale started giving me different readings on the same object. The Lyman hasn't let me down since.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    mines a 1982 model and it is just as accurate as my Lyman 1000 XP......is your table dead level?......take a level and make sure it's level......out of plumb with throw them off....:twocents:

The table is level and plumb, but apparently I'm not.

Top Bottom