• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Rule of thumb for an electronic scale: Leave it on all the time

They all seem to be more stable and read better the longer they're on.

Be sure your area is free of drafts. Or use a "cake cover" to mitigate drafts' effects on the scales.

Get a good set of proof or check weights. Get a low weight (lower than you'll ever need) a high weight (higher than you'll ever need) and one right in the weight range you'll need (if you can find one...)

Don't handle the proof weights with bare fingers, use either forceps or clean gloves. Hand dirt CAN influence the weight and you can end up throwing things off.

Be sure to "tare" your scale often...be sure you're starting at zero!

(we use high-dollar electronic scales at work that are capable of measuring, reliably, down to 1 microgram. How big of a "something" is a microgram? Just about the littlest piece of dust you can discern with MY naked eye is ~ 4mcg...)

-J-

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Lee scale

I'll have to add my two cents on the side of I use the Lee scale and have good results with it, for about 8 years now. I also purchased an electronic scale (Lyman) and the DPS 3 measuring machine. I have the same problem with both electronic devices - too darn much zeroing the infernal thing! (I do not have it in a draft, it is dead level and I don't think my basement is haunted but I can't be certain of the last issue.) I found it very much easier to use Lee dippers for an approximate weight and then hand trickle to the exact weight, takes me much less time than playing with the zero on the electric ones. Most of my dies and all of my presses are Lee for one reason - they are much more affordable. I have even had some custom stuff made by Lee and am mostly pretty happy. The only caveat is Lee collet neck sizer dies are often too sloppy for some bullet choices, but a quick turning with emory cloth will get them down where you want them. I also use RCBS and Hornady dies and they are very good but If Lee will do the job usually almost 1/2 the price.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I had to finally put the thing on the bottom shelf. I've 'zeroed' the scale according to the directions and discovered it's crap or I just cannot use it properly. I load at the minimum grain weights and it just seemed like my rounds produced much more recoil than those I produced at Andrew's class. So, I zeroed the scale again and produced more rounds, but with the same result.

I just got an electronic scale and discovered my measurements on the Lee scale have been high! I produced a 4.5 grain load and it was actually 5.1 grains! No, it wasn't a 'hot load,' but still outside the limit I was desiring to produce. I've ditched the Lee scale and believe my recoil should be much softer, which is my desire.

Maybe I'm the only one who has had this issue, but just in case, check your loads to be sure.

your results and solution were exactly the same as mine.

You are not the only one.
    Terry

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I like the dippers alot, too. Hard to go wrong with them. I've even made some of my own custom dippers to throw specific charges in between the dippers in the Lee set.

As for the Lee scale, I have some questions about its accuracy when trying to measure over a broad range of weights. But I find it highly repeatable and very sensitive. I have some check weights and I adjust the scale to read accurately for a check weight close to the power charge I want to load, then set the beam for the exact powder weight I want. I have a great deal of confidence in this system. I would NOT put much faith in calibrating the scale to a 5 grain check weight and then trying to weigh out 42.4 grains of powder. Better to calibrate to a 50 grain check weight there.

You might consider taking a few ball bearings of different sizes to a pharmacy with quality scales and asking them to weigh them for you. Then use those ball bearings for your check weights.

I do NOT have much confidence in electronic scales. I'm afraid voltage variations can too easily skew the measurements and you would never know it. Fast and convenient? YES! But if I really want an accurate weight, I'd take the Lee Safety Powder Scale every time.

Top Bottom