• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well I got the bunk beds up and figure I'll upgrade the bed slates that came with them since they were only 6 and rather thin. I figure I go with 2"x12"x4' 5.5" with six per bed so that it covers the area and made a nice solid surface for the mattresses since the little one (3.5 yr old son) is a jumper.

Take my happy butt to Menards (this occurred on Sunday BTW) and the 2"x12"x14' boards are on sale for $14.88. I ask the sales associate if they would cut them down to a size of 4' 5.5" for me. The first sales associate says it won't be a precision cut and I have to buy the boards first and to go talk to "that guy" as he points to another associate. So I talk to guy #2 who asks how many cuts and I tell him I need 12 boards so it would be 3 cuts per 14' board or 12 cuts. He tells me he can't do that it's too many cuts and his manager won't let him. Plus boards over 10' it's too hard to put in the machine to cut and his saw is not working right. :rolleyes:

I thank him for his time and write down a few more prices and walk out the door. I had a $10 off coupon with a $50 purchase from Lowes which I know Menards who had honored but figure let me go check the prices at lowes even though I'm sure they are higher.

So go to lowes and they have 2'x12'x14' boards for $14.67 **AND** these board were way better looking that the ones at Menards! I ask the sales associate if they can cut them down to size and he says "Sure. How many do you need and what size?" So I tell him and he puts them on a cart for me, removes a couple that had some cracks, cuts them down, loads them back on the cart and tells me to have a nice day.

WOW!!! :rockwoot: Take about customer service and what gets me is that the $14.67 was the REGULAR PRICE yet Menards it was their SALE PRICE! :n00b:

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS

Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/group.php?groupid=12

General NWI Status Update Thread (Subscribe to it):
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post.html

UPCOMING EVENTS
    NWI INGO MEET & SHOOT - JUN/JULY 2011
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...eet_and_shoot_jun_jul_2011_a.html#post1921400

Appleseed June 25-26 @ Norther Porter County, IN
    http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=22474.0

Every Wed: Lunch, Cigars, and Guns @ Pine Island Pit Stop Cigar Lounge
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ne_island_pit_stop_cigar_lounge_part_2_a.html

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

Pro-Gun & Anti-Gun Stores in NWI:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...un_and_anti-gun_stores_northwest_indiana.html

OTHER INFO
    A Guide to Protecting Your Rights: What to do when LEO stop you and your are carrying.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...what_to_do_when_leo_stops_you.html#post915009

Wallet IN LTCH Info with IC Codes
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../83645-wallet_in_ltch_info_with_ic_codes.html

FFLs in Indiana
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/81265-indiana_gun_shop_info_-_combined.html

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Menards always sucks. Ask anyone a question and you're almost guaranteed to get, "it's not my department". I would have suggested plywood to cover the whole area better.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Menards always sucks. Ask anyone a question and you're almost guaranteed to get, "it's not my department". I would have suggested plywood to cover the whole area better.

I was going to do plywood at first. The area to cover is 4'6" WIDE x 6'2" LONG. So it was going to require cutting the plywood as well (4x8). Also I did not see any 1"+ thick plywood. I'm sure they have it via special order. Figured with these 2" thick boards you can jump up and down and still down fall thru. I did test the top bed with me and the 2 little ones on it and it held us.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    id rather go to lowes and pay the extra few cents (if it is more) then go to menards... chances are you will find someone who can help you at lowes even if you are in the wrong department... but i am a little bias as i used to work for lowes...

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I've never had an issue with CS at menards, I prefer menards to lowes when searching for tools because they seem to carry way more and they aren't all top o' the line so I don't have drain my wallet. my local lowes must hire from the retirement homes because I always have an old guy helping me that has no idea what I'm asking him about. I was going for grease pencils at lowes a couple days ago, asked the guy and he took me to sharpies. not quite the same.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've never had an issue with CS at menards, I prefer menards to lowes when searching for tools because they seem to carry way more and they aren't all top o' the line so I don't have drain my wallet. my local lowes must hire from the retirement homes because I always have an old guy helping me that has no idea what I'm asking him about. I was going for grease pencils at lowes a couple days ago, asked the guy and he took me to sharpies. not quite the same.
    +1 I like Menards better, not to mention all the stuff that is free after rebate. :rockwoot:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I despise the whole rebate thing, it's like bait and switch advertising. it looks like a great deal till you read the fine print. plus I'm too lazy to take the time to do them

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I was going to do plywood at first. The area to cover is 4'6" WIDE x 6'2" LONG. So it was going to require cutting the plywood as well (4x8). Also I did not see any 1"+ thick plywood. I'm sure they have it via special order. Figured with these 2" thick boards you can jump up and down and still down fall thru. I did test the top bed with me and the 2 little ones on it and it held us.

1" thick plywood would've been overkill. 1/2" would've been perfectly fine, they do keep 23/32" in stock (at least the one here does) and 3/4" in stock. I got some of the 23/32" for a project and . But yeah, Lowes is better than Menards in EVERY way. Menards is one place I've rarely been in because of those commercials with that annoying old guy years back. The times I've been in Menards, Lowes seemed like it had better prices and better selection of lumber. Never met someone in Menards that had a clue where anything was or that could help if I needed a little when picking something up for a project.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    6-2x12 slats, you could have an orgy on those and the bed itself would break before those slats! :D

Hum... Will have to remember this for when the kids are away. :laugh::laugh:

+1 I like Menards better, not to mention all the stuff that is free after rebate. :rockwoot:
    It's not really free! You spend for a stamp (.42 i think) plus you are getting back a MENARD "credit" so you can only spend that "credit" at Menards. :rolleyes:

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Hum... Will have to remember this for when the kids are away. :laugh::laugh:

It's not really free! You spend for a stamp (.42 i think) plus you are getting back a MENARD "credit" so you can only spend that "credit" at Menards. :rolleyes:

On the topic of those rebates, my neighbor gets all the "free with mail in rebate" things from Menards and sells them every year in a garage sale. From what he told me he does pretty well.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I like menards better than lowes for two reasons: 1) menards is like 8 minutes away, and lowes is like 25 minutes away. 2) menards is usually cheaper.

that said, Ive never had any significant issue with either place.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    id rather go to lowes and pay the extra few cents (if it is more) then go to menards... chances are you will find someone who can help you at lowes even if you are in the wrong department... but i am a little bias as i used to work for lowes...

I worked for Lowes to, for 2 years. Every store depends on their GM to be a good store. I've seen things at our lowes in Bloomington that would have definitely gotten me fired where I worked at. But I still prefer them over the others.

To OP I spent 2 hours cutting wood for a customer one day. Cut every board he needed for his deck that the guys in mill work had just drawn for him. He tried to tip me as I was loading it all up for him but I kindly refused and told him good luck.

My GM didn't know about it, but would have fired me if I had refused to spend the time cutting them boards.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    To OP I spent 2 hours cutting wood for a customer one day. Cut every board he needed for his deck that the guys in mill work had just drawn for him. He tried to tip me as I was loading it all up for him but I kindly refused and told him good luck.

My GM didn't know about it, but would have fired me if I had refused to spend the time cutting them boards.
    Margin on lumber is pretty thin, so 2 hrs spent cutting boards for a deck sounds like all the profit from that sale was eaten up in your labor cost. If Mr. Homeowner needs to have a deck project precut, he should probably hire someone to build it because I doubt he could swing a hammer without injuring himself!

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Margin on lumber is pretty thin, so 2 hrs spent cutting boards for a deck sounds like all the profit from that sale was eaten up in your labor cost. If Mr. Homeowner needs to have a deck project precut, he should probably hire someone to build it because I doubt he could swing a hammer without injuring himself!

But you know what store he will always come back to don't you?? Short term profit loss long term profit gain.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Menards has a horrible web presence which almost always prevents me from making big purchases there. I like to check things out online first.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Menards- where else can you buy a Chinese hammer, a moldy 2x12, and a mondo bucket of cheese puffs?

Mmmmmm.... HE said cheese puffs.:D

Most likely the same Chinese hammer Lowes sells, just under a different name.

As far as lumber at Menards, the Menards in Avon has one hell of a lumber barn. IMO, much better selection AND quality than I've seen at Lowes on 10th. Plus, IMO Menards has better prices.

They have Jacks cheapo frozen pizza's for $2!:yesway: Do some work, cook up a cheap cardboard pizza... Life's good!:D

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I am definitely a Lowes man through and through. Every once in a while if I see a good deal in the Menards ad I will go but since they closed the one closest to me I haven't done that in a while.

Meenards lumber sucks though. I will never buy it.

Top Bottom