• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Early this morning, 0300, my grandfather was woken up by his dog barking. Without thinking about it, he got out of bed and grabbed his Sig C3 1911 and went through the house looking out the windows for whatever woke the dog up. When looking out his back windo at the garage he noticed a woman standing by one of his cars, and doing something that looked like trying to get in it. He wakes my grandmother and proceeds to tell her to call 911, and goes outside. My grandfather held the woman at gunpoint until IMPD arrived.

Once on scene IMPD (3 officers) spoke with the woman and my grandfather seperately. She began saying that she was "checking on the abandoned house" as she had done for "years".

Clearly, this house is not abandoned, my grandparents have lived there 51 years, and there was plenty of evidence thereof.

The officers determined she was drunk beyond logic and figured out that she was in town for the Brickyard and staying in a tent in my neighbor from two houses down's yard. These people stay there every year, and I am quite sure that she did not have any mal-intent toward my grandfather or his property, and she was taken back to the neighbors. Everyone else that was passed out drunk was woken up and she was told by IMPD to sleep it off inside.

The IMPD Officers came back to my grandpa's house and told him that he did exactly what he should have and to have a great night.

Thanks IMPD for reckognizing a man's right to protect his family and property. Thank you also for handling the situation in a proffessional manner.

Props to Grandpa for not hesitating to rise to the occasion when something "went bump in the night".

Just goes to show, don't mess with an old guy and his .45! :D

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Good for gramps and the LEOs. You'd think any woman who watches TV or reads a paper would be extremely careful about being totally incapacitated in public. There are way too many weirdos out there.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Left the safety his house and threatened deadly force to protect his car...I'm not throwing up a high-five on this one.

Would have been best to remain inside, armed, and on the phone with 911. What would have happened if drunks 2 doors down saw their girl at gunpoint in the neighbors yard....

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Left the safety his house and threatened deadly force to protect his car...I'm not throwing up a high-five on this one.

Would have been best to remain inside, armed, and on the phone with 911. What would have happened if drunks 2 doors down saw their girl at gunpoint in the neighbors yard....

A: the police were already on their way.

B: he has every right to protect his property

C: the people staying at the neighbors were asleep, in tents, in the front yard. this all happened in the back yard.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    A: the police were already on their way.
    But they were not there yet...a lot can happen quickly. Safest place is to remain in your house.
    B: he has every right to protect his property
    Just because someone has the right in no way means it is the smart thing to do.
    C: the people staying at the neighbors were asleep, in tents, in the front yard. this all happened in the back yard.
    Grandpa didn't know that they were all asleep at the time. What if they weren't is what I was asking...this could have gotten out of hand fast. What if this girl had her own weapon...

Just sayin, smart thing to do is to remain inside and be a good witness. Nobody neads dying over an unoccupied parked car. :twocents:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I'll still +1 to Gramps. Folks in his generation are still willing to stand up for themselves.

I agree. While I do see the "merits" of staying inside, I also see nothing wrong with standing up for yourself. If something had happened beyond that the law is on his side, and he is allowed to take reasonable actions to defend himself, his wife and his property.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Okay, I'm confused. Leaving aside the issue of whether it is tactically/safety-wise a good idea to go snooping around if you hear something, is it really a good idea to go outside and hold someone at gunpoint for presumably breaking into your car? Is it even legal to do this- can any one just go hold someone at gunpoint because they think the person is committing a crime? And, if you go snooping outside your house when you don't have to, especially carrying a gun, couldn't that be considered some sort of escalation of force and or intent to shoot, and thus undermine a self defense claim?

Don't get me wrong, in an ideal world I like the idea of people being able to such things, but in reality doing this seems like a recipe for disaster.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    And, I thought I remembered a recent case where a person went to jail for shooting someone who was apparently trying to break into his car. Doesn't this mean that gun owners are not open and free to "defend their property" as is so often said here, that in fact to act in self defense the situation must still meet the legal requirements of self defense, which does not include shooting someone simply for being on one's property, stealing property, and/or breaking into property (e.g. a car or garage)? I am wrong on this?

Top Bottom