• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I went to the bank today. TCU on Ireland in South Bend. I walked in, and noticed an officer I hadn't seen before. I said hello, and walked to the counter to cash my check.

As I turned around, he was standing near the door. I thought to myself, "Oh, no. He wants to talk to me."

As I approached, he waved me over. I walked over to him.

He asked, "Are you a police officer?" (I was wearing a blue and white polo and khaki pants)

I said, "No, sir."

He said, "Well, you're going to have to leave that in your car next time you come in here."

I said, "Why is that?"

He said, "Because TCU has the right to refuse service to anyone."

I said, "I have been open carrying in here for about a year. I have talked to all the other officers, Roseland and South Bend. No one has ever said anything about it before. They do not have a sign posted, and management has never asked me to leave. Did they tell you this?"

He said, "Okay. Well, if they don't have a problem with it, and the other officers don't mind, then it's fine with me. Do you have a gun permit?"

I said, "Yes, sir. " I handed him my license to carry. He looked at it, and gave it back. I thanked him for handling the situation professionally, and asked for his name. I told him that I was going to make sure everyone knew that he was one of the good ones. He wished me a good day, and I did the same, and I left.

+1 for never telling me that I shouldn't OC.

+1 for listening to me, and having a professional conversation.

+1 for carrying a Glock in a Blackhawk SERPA.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This does not compute as a total +1 as others have pointed out. :dunno:

The way it sounds to me is that he was freelancing and never had a specific mandate from TCU to back up some of the statements he made regarding firearm carry on the premises.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah. I guess I didn't think of it that way. I'm just glad he wasn't rude about it. It could have been much worse. Think Maxey.
    Very true. I give it a neutral rating at best. At least he did'nt go full on "richard" when you pointed out the error of his ways. :yesway:

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I'm going to guess that TCU is Teachers Credit Union?

Does he not know that the people who have accounts there make up the ownership of the bank, and that by attempting to limit your carry, he is essentially attempting to tell one of the owners that his rules apply more than the owner?

Second, he tells you that you have to leave it in the car because they have the right to refuse service to anyone, after the fact that you've already been given the service by the teller?

Heckler's Veto. He may have been professional, but he still was uninformed and attempting to enforce his own rules against the policies of the bank.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I don't understand the point of asking if you where a police officer? Do LEO's have a different set of rules than we do if they are off duty and obviously there for personal business?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I don't understand the point of asking if you where a police officer? Do LEO's have a different set of rules than we do if they are off duty and obviously there for personal business?

Good point. Exactly my thought. Why does it matter?

For the record, I usually wear blue or black polo shirts with khaki pants. I do look like an SBPD detective. I just don't wear a badge.

Top Bottom