• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Office S. Vannatter pulled me over this afternoon on 116th east of Keystone. I was speeding for no good reason, which i told the officer. I was on my way to the Indiana Gun Club to shoot skeet with a friend. I had two shotguns in a case in my back seat and my Bersa IWB. I made it a point to have both hands out the window as he approached. After he asked my why i was speeding he asked me where i was going, so i told him. At which point (he had to have seen the giant gun case in the back seat) he asked if there were any firearms in the car. I told him about the two shotguns and then i said i have a LTCH and i have a firearm on my hip at about the 5 oclock position. He then asked what kind, told him. He then said so your registrations in the glove box? And then never spoke of the guns again. Of course asked for my LTCH. Got off with a warning and was VERY happy with my first encounter with a LEO while carrying. I think i am going to call the Carmel PD and give this office some praise. Im sure most calls they get are not praise related.

*I want to note i didn't make this up to counter act all the cop bashing that seems to be going on. I just now read one of the Fishers incidents.

Last edited:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I think there are probably many such stories that we never hear about. Thanks for posting Tommy.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Sounds like a good encounter to me. Ill let this be known, I am a 11 yr full time policeman. Most of the guys I stop and have LTCH have been fine. Most seem to tell me up front about their gun and where it is. After that, I know that they are open about it and it doesnt worry me. Usually end up talking about guns and carry issues.
    I can say that over the years I have had a few block heads that were drunk or otherwise in a bad situation that have not told me and I ended up finding it myself. A few have given me a reason to remove the weapon from the encounter, but the majority have been fine.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Sgt7330, thank you for your service. I think you, and Officers like you, make up 95% of our Police Departments-The problem is that the other 5% make up about 95% of the negative posts here.
    Just my 2 cents worth..Bill.:)

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Officer Vannater used to work at Carmel High School when I went there. I worked in the office for part of the day so I got to know him a little bit. He was a great guy and was in the Marines I believe (or some part of the armed services). Thanks for telling this story when I go back to visit I will be sure to pass the word on if I see him.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sounds like some of the Fishers officers need to do some ride arounds with the Carmel officers?
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Glad to see a positive experience on here. Most cops are ok. The problem I think is that when a few screw ups happen, they are rights violations not just minor mishaps. Good job Carmel PD.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Office S. Vannatter pulled me over this afternoon on 116th east of Keystone. I was speeding for no good reason, which i told the officer. I was on my way to the Indiana Gun Club to shoot skeet with a friend. I had two shotguns in a case in my back seat and my Bersa IWB. I made it a point to have both hands out the window as he approached. After he asked my why i was speeding he asked me where i was going, so i told him. At which point (he had to have seen the giant gun case in the back seat) he asked if there were any firearms in the car. I told him about the two shotguns and then i said i have a LTCH and i have a firearm on my hip at about the 5 oclock position. He then asked what kind, told him. He then said so your registrations in the glove box? And then never spoke of the guns again. Of course asked for my LTCH. Got off with a warning and was VERY happy with my first encounter with a LEO while carrying. I think i am going to call the Carmel PD and give this office some praise. Im sure most calls they get are not praise related.

*I want to note i didn't make this up to counter act all the cop bashing that seems to be going on. I just now read one of the Fishers incidents.

No good reason for speeding on 116th? My truck won't coast slow enough to stay within the posted speed on that section of road. You were lucky from what I can tell. That area can be a speed trap. I assume you are not hispanic or African American or you would have been posting about being "proned out" and how many cars it took to give you a ticket and the fact that the great Jimmy Braintard was summoned to the site to see the amazing "person of color"

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    No good reason for speeding on 116th? My truck won't coast slow enough to stay within the posted speed on that section of road. You were lucky from what I can tell. That area can be a speed trap. I assume you are not hispanic or African American or you would have been posting about being "proned out" and how many cars it took to give you a ticket and the fact that the great Jimmy Braintard was summoned to the site to see the amazing "person of color"

No i am neither of those. I drive that stretch of road often to go to a park at Hazel Dell and 106th and this is the first time i have seen a cop. But yes a cop could have a hay day there.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have been pretty lucky with getting pulled over. I have gotten warnings the last 3 times. I can only account this to being very polite and angering with the office. Also I always make sure my hands are out the window to make sure the officer is as comfortable as possible. This was my first while carrying though. It might help to that my record is spotless along with the above.

Top Bottom