• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I just ordered the parts for my 10/22 build. Talk about alot of decision making since there are so many endless ways to go with it. I opted to do my own trigger component polishing and just adding a VQ hammer and shims.

Here is a preview of what's to come. Not alot of bling or colors but instead a balance between a target and varmint rifle.

KID 18" Match Barrel
    Bell & Carlson Target/Varmint Stock - black
    VQ Target Hammer, Shims & Bushings
    VQ Target Rifle trigger with set stop
    VQ Edge Extractor
    Tactical Solutions V-Block Barrel Retainer
    Tactical Solutions Extended Mag Release
    Power Custom Recoil Buffer
    Power Custom Weaver Style Scope Mount
    Mueller 4.5-14x40 AO APV Scope
    Burris Zee Rings medium height

There may be more in the future but as far as I can tell this setup should give me what i've always wanted in a darn nice 10/22. When the parts arrive and I get it built, there will be pics to follow. Basically everything in black with a polished silver barrel.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The project is getting off to a slower start than anticipated. My barrel ended up being on backorder even though it showed up as in stock on the website. It's being shipped today along with the scope and scope mount and rings. Here is a update of what has been done so far.

I assembled the entire trigger group with some new goodies and am anxiously waiting to mount the receiver and trigger group into the new Bell & Carlson stock but am still waiting for the barrel.

Stock 10/22 Donor rifle - So nice I feel guilty parting it but what ya gonna do. :D (1995 manf. date)
    0339e160.jpg

Bell & Carlson Stock
    c2b0f1cf.jpg

Trigger group goodies
    d96cd7e4.jpg

Disassembled Trigger Group
    dee8e582.jpg

Finished Trigger Group
    db759049.jpg

Well folks... there it is so far. When the Kid Barrel and Mueller scope make it here I'll post up the finished transformation. Oh, almost forgot. Did I mention the trigger pull is sweet!

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A couple of other parts I would recommend that helped my build:

A set of oversized trigger group pins took all of the play out of the trigger assembly...about $7.00 +/-

Shooters Discount, Inc. - Raven Eye Custom Oversized Trigger Group Pins

The other part is a polyurethane bolt buffer, it removes the "clack" of the bolt smacking into the back of the receiver. It gives a more solid feel in my opinion.

Shooters Discount, Inc.

I had a great time with my build, I am sure that you will as well...

Enjoy!

-Drew

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    What's the rough cost of this?

I've been toying with the idea of doing something similar or just buying a heavy barrel 10/22 target from the factory

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Kidd bbl

That bbl will probably amaze you. I'd take the time to bed that rcvr and the first inch of the bbl. Make sure to leave some clearance under the v-block tho'.
    My Kidd is on a Nodak Spud rcvr in a shooters ridge carbon fiber T/H stock. I found a Kidd two stage trigger used and added it later. Shoots great!
    2010-01-02_22-08-13.jpg
    :rockwoot:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I really want to know how you like that 18" KID barrel. I've had my eye on one to put in a Nordic AR 10/22 chassis.

Tony Kidd fixed the safety on my SV back in 2002. Great guy. And, his 10/22 triggers are just fantastic. Best I've ever pulled.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    What's the rough cost of this?

I've been toying with the idea of doing something similar or just buying a heavy barrel 10/22 target from the factory

The most expensive pieces were the Bell & Carlson Stock and the Kid barrel. With the parts listed above in my first post I have $668.00 in the build so far.

I do have a bolt buffer already installed but will look into the oversize receiver pins. I installed the trigger bushings and spacers which really seems to help tremendously on trigger play.

Hopefully by friday I will have the barrel and scope to complete this build. Anxiously awaiting the first range visit.

patience0803, that is a nice looking build you have going there. Thanks for sharing.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I keep thinking about doing a 10/22 build. I'd need a 10/22 to start with and when I start thinking about it I also start looking into a Remington 700 heavy barrel build. Too many ideas, not enough money.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I just ordered the parts for my 10/22 build. Talk about alot of decision making since there are so many endless ways to go with it. I opted to do my own trigger component polishing and just adding a VQ hammer and shims.

Here is a preview of what's to come. Not alot of bling or colors but instead a balance between a target and varmint rifle.

KID 18" Match Barrel
    Bell & Carlson Target/Varmint Stock - black
    VQ Target Hammer, Shims & Bushings
    VQ Target Rifle trigger with set stop
    VQ Edge Extractor
    Tactical Solutions V-Block Barrel Retainer
    Tactical Solutions Extended Mag Release
    Power Custom Recoil Buffer
    Power Custom Weaver Style Scope Mount
    Mueller 4.5-14x40 AO APV Scope
    Burris Zee Rings medium height

There may be more in the future but as far as I can tell this setup should give me what i've always wanted in a darn nice 10/22. When the parts arrive and I get it built, there will be pics to follow. Basically everything in black with a polished silver barrel.

If you do not mind me asking. How much will you have in the rifle when it's all said and done?

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    If you do not mind me asking. How much will you have in the rifle when it's all said and done?

The most expensive pieces were the Bell & Carlson Stock and the Kid barrel. With the parts listed above in my first post I have $668.00 in the build so far.

I do have a bolt buffer already installed but will look into the oversize receiver pins. I installed the trigger bushings and spacers which really seems to help tremendously on trigger play.

Hopefully by friday I will have the barrel and scope to complete this build. Anxiously awaiting the first range visit.

patience0803, that is a nice looking build you have going there. Thanks for sharing.

There you go.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I have the finished product of my build complete. Err... well almost. I received the final shipment of my parts today MINUS the black scope rings so I had to improvise and use these silver rings I had on hand. Other than that I now have what I hope to be a tack driver. :ar15:

5c2b827e.jpg

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I originally built this with the main use of match target in mind. With the heavier barrel, stability on the bench would be easier.

The Bell & Carlson stock is a combination Target/Varmint and the forarm of this stock has a wider base for bench but has rounded edges for carry. Also the butt end has that cutout for a bench bag. The stock also has the sling attachments for carry which will make this rifle much easier to handle during a extended walk in the woods. This was basically how I made my decision on choosing this stock. I would have loved to have a premium piece of wood on this beauty, but I didn't want to have to contend with the first scratch.

I'm sure this rifle will never see bulk ammo or if it does it will be very little of it. I'll test run various brands and grains of premium match ammo to see what it likes best. If you build em' like this don't skimp on the meal ticket! :):

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    As you can see I sighted in the 10/22 going from the right to left and then upward to the bull. Once finally sighted, there are 10 shots to center mass at 50 yards. At 25 yards I was slightly stretching a single hole! I must say I'm quite happy with the KIDD barrel.

NOTE: Ammo used - Fiocchi M 320 Match 40gr
    a1697e63.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom