• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Gavman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    I'm thinking about upgrading to a bull barrel on my 10/22, is it as easy as it looks or is there more to it than just removing 2 screws? Also I would like to keep Iron sights on it so is there any barrels that at least have a front sight since I have a receiver mounted rear sight? Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It is VERY easy to remove the barrel...

Provided it's not glued in.

Yes, remove those two bolts and then remove that "v-block". You might have trouble removing the bbl shank from the receiver. The few I've owned have come out pretty easily, however.

If you have trouble, you "can" just pull the bolt back and let it slam into the breech face and let that force help pound the bolt out. It's entirely safe to let the bolt slam when fully assembled, and I read this method several years ago.

Also, Bradis Guns in Camby has a device to help folks remove stubborn and/or glued-in barrels.

Replacing with a bull barrel MIGHT mean that your stock won't fit any longer and may need altered. Also a good opportunity to buy a new stock!

-J-

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Changing the barrel should be a breeze. I've never had a problem with any I've done. As for sights, Advantage Tactical makes a sight and you can find it at Midway or do a search on THR (TheHighRoad.org) They have some info on there. As for Bradis, talk to Kenny, he's a good guy and knows just about anything you want on 10/22's

RTDoug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    I'm thinking about upgrading to a bull barrel on my 10/22, is it as easy as it looks or is there more to it than just removing 2 screws? Also I would like to keep Iron sights on it so is there any barrels that at least have a front sight since I have a receiver mounted rear sight? Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated.

changing it to a .920 is a piece of cake.
    Hog out the barrel channel with sandpaper wrapped around the appropriately sized 3/8" socket.
    Put in a barrel pad of some material under the barrel at the tip of the stock.
    This is because the aluminum receiver cannot support the weight of the heavy barrel.

Plan on a scope.
    If you are doing this for good groups, you need a scope, otherwise stick with the factory barrel and sights.

without an illegal link, there is a place called rimfirecentral dot com that has lots and lots of information

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Easy most of the time

Removal of the barrel is easy most of the time, The methods suggested work well or as stated come see me at Bradis And I have a special tool that makes it even easier. As for sights on a bull barrel there are not a lot of options.

The Gavman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. While 90% of the time my rifle is used for plinking I hunt racoons at night quite a bit so a scope within my price range wouldn't really work haha but I can consistently hit a pop can from 50 yards oped sited with my current rifle but I have about shot the barrel out of it so I was just seeing my options before I spend some money I'm not looking for .5" groups at 50 yards I just want a decent barrel with the ability of having a front sight added, I have seen one or two barrels with a threaded end and a dovetail that can thread on but I can't seem to find them anymore.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. While 90% of the time my rifle is used for plinking I hunt racoons at night quite a bit so a scope within my price range wouldn't really work haha but I can consistently hit a pop can from 50 yards oped sited with my current rifle but I have about shot the barrel out of it so I was just seeing my options before I spend some money I'm not looking for .5" groups at 50 yards I just want a decent barrel with the ability of having a front sight added, I have seen one or two barrels with a threaded end and a dovetail that can thread on but I can't seem to find them anymore.

Just morbidly curious: About how many rounds do you have through it?

Because it'd take a fortune in .22LR to even come CLOSE to shooting out a barrel...

-J-

The Gavman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Honestly between me and my friends/family 100k rounds give or take I personally shoot about 7 to 8 bricks a summer through it the only things I have replaced is the extractor and this pin the trigger pivots on because it got a groove wore in it and the trigger stopped resetting after each shot but the barrel is getting to the point that my brush doesn't spin anymore when I clean it and when it gets hot it starts getting noticeably less accurate but yeah my gun gets used it never goes more than a week without getting shot but thats what .22s are for and thats why I got a 10/22 I can't afford to shoot .223 or 9mm as much as it would like so I buy bulk .22 from gunbroker so its not too bad you can get 5000 rounds for like 200-220 bucks

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Shhhhh. That is his excuse to the wife for wanting a bull barrel.

Don't give it away.....;)

:ugh: ... I had my 10/22 for 32 years and the barrel didn't wear out ... I mean it did wear out, and so I needed a new bull barrel, new adjustable stock, new Red Dot Scope, New Scope ...

Start on the path of "I just need one upgrade ... see where it leads :):

The Gavman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    :ugh: ... I had my 10/22 for 32 years and the barrel didn't wear out ... I mean it did wear out, and so I needed a new bull barrel, new adjustable stock, new Red Dot Scope, New Scope ...

Start on the path of "I just need one upgrade ... see where it leads :):
    I know what you mean, I bought a stock then I bought new sights, then a rail then a flash light the a bagillion magazines which have all worn out other than the steele lips ones but even those the springs are not what they used to be now I might as well do the barrel and trigger but honestly the stock trigger isn't bad

Top Bottom