• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm supposed to be trading into my first 10/22 this week. I have no explanation on how I've been a "gun guy" for 15 years and have never owned one but it is what it is. I plan to replace the barrel with a threaded .920 as well as the stock (most likely with a Hogue Overmold) but those will happen as money comes available. In the mean time I want to get it running as smoothly as possible and make any improvements that I can myself.

My question for the experts is what can or should I do with the rifle right off of the bat? I plan to get 1000 rounds through it pretty quickly to cover any "break in" that may be needed but that's all I have planned at the moment. Any do it yourself tips or tricks I should plan on delving in to? I know there are thousands of options out there one the market for these rifles but getting it where I want it will take some time.

Saber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Get a trigger kit!
    Springs & shims.
    This will get rid of the trigger wobble and reduce the pull.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Brimstone trigger job is the best money you can spend to start out.

google it just send them your trigger wait a week to two depending on how many are in front of you and enjoy.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Because I know that you are very mechanical you can do the trigger job yourself just by doing a little reading at RimfireCentral.com. They have tutorials on exactly what parts to polish and where. The worst that will happen is you polish to much and have to replace a couple of parts. I own a bunch(25) and the first thing I do is a bolt buffer. I prefer to shoot mine and let them wear themselves in. The triggers will get better if you are patient.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    IMHO you've been around firearms long enough to do your own trigger job and it won't cost you much of anything. With about an hours work, you can smooth out the trigger and drop it down to a nice crisp 2#. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube and threads on various forums with detail pictures and diagrams on what surfaces to plane and smooth. rimfire central is a great source of online information as well, so definitely lurk around there for quality answers.

I'd also look into purchase a rubber bolt buffer 10 22 buffer | eBay
    and an auto bolt release 10 22 bolt release | eBay

from ebay. Will cost you about $20 total and will improve the bolt operation and give you a better shooting experience.

Overall... enjoy the aftermarket and congrats! I recently took 3 new shooters to the range with all of my toys so they could try them all out. At the end one guy asked me what was my favorite gun and while I love all of my CZ's, my AR and the other stuff I have... I chose the 10/22 because of all the time I enjoyed tinkering with it and shooting with it at Appleseeds. It definitely has the most sentimental value of all of my firearms.

(obviously I don't have any super dooper cool $8k sniper rifles... but you get the point)

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Because I know that you are very mechanical you can do the trigger job yourself just by doing a little reading at RimfireCentral.com. They have tutorials on exactly what parts to polish and where. The worst that will happen is you polish to much and have to replace a couple of parts. I own a bunch(25) and the first thing I do is a bolt buffer. I prefer to shoot mine and let them wear themselves in. The triggers will get better if you are patient.

Egg Zackly! RimfireCentral is the most informative site on the web.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I got out of the 1022 bidness a while back. The 1022 Takedown brought me back.
    I'm going minimal on this gun, mainly opting for peep sighting, but I did buy the Williams Ace In The Hole set with picatinny rail for a QD scope option.

I've done the factory trigger smoothing stuff in the past with mixed results. Lower weight with slop on both ends is not what I am happy with.
    This time, I just sent Tony Kidd $125 for his "Trigger Job" kit, bolt buffer and auto bolt release.

[video=youtube_share;FcbdIi93zZE]http://youtu.be/FcbdIi93zZE[/video]

10-22 KIDD TRIGGERS

Old long time RimfireCentral member here.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks for the advice fellas. I'm looking forward to owning this little rifle that has evaded me. It'll probably be the first firearm my daughter shoots, I think she will be ready this year.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    If you are building something that your daughter can shoot then check out the new 10/22 stocks that Tacstar has out. They are collaspable like an AR, can be used with standard barrel or Bull barrel and come in several colors. They also will hold 2 extra mags in the buttstock. This stock will allow the gun to grow with here and keep it somewhat lighter

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I did my own trigger job but because I didn't want to get into the sear angle I didn't get it quite like I want it. I really didn't lower the poundage enough. I was going to put a Kidd trigger in, then the Kidd trigger job kit, but after talking to Brimstone, he thought the Tier 2 would be all I need for my intended use. So for $70 I'm going to have them do it. Supposedly I will get a nice crisp break at 2 or 2.5lbs, my choice.

I am learning to do my own gunsmithing, and it will be educational to see what they did when I get it back and feel what a good trigger job should feel like. I can use this as a bench mark for my next trigger job.

dwain

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Along the Wabash
    You can't go wrong with a Brimstone trigger job. He has done 4 for me. He does first class work, and price is reasonable. I would highly recommend going this route.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You can't go wrong with a Brimstone trigger job. He has done 4 for me. He does first class work, and price is reasonable. I would highly recommend going this route.

This is good to hear. So far I have heard nothing but positives about them. They charge your card when you order so I have to wait until next month to send mine in since I blew my January gun budget.:)

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    A trigger Job is def he first option to install. You need to decide what
    The main purpose is for the rifle. Bench rest, plinking, speed shooting, youth handling the gun, all plays a part on the decisions that You make on stock, barrel, or optics. Too many options, that's why one needs several 10/22s

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I didn't mention that I hope to be able to get this rifle to shoot subsonic rounds reliably if possible. I've read that some will and some won't but I don't know if there are specific things that can assist with this. It may be ten years before I can find subsonic 22lr so I guess I'm not in a huge hurry to accomplish that goal, lol.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I didn't mention that I hope to be able to get this rifle to shoot subsonic rounds reliably if possible. I've read that some will and some won't but I don't know if there are specific things that can assist with this. It may be ten years before I can find subsonic 22lr so I guess I'm not in a huge hurry to accomplish that goal, lol.

A belt sander and a couple of finer stones or sandpaper will allow you to radius the bottom rear of the bolt a smidge and smooth it up some. That is all most of them need to cycle subs reliably. A little extractor tuning doesn't hurt them either. As for the subsonic ammo, if you wanna come down to the farm one w/e I prolly have enough to test for functionality. Wait til it warms up tho.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Appreciate the offer, may take you up on that. I've not really been excited about a gun in several years, I'm really looking forward to this project.

Top Bottom