10-22 magazine mods to improve reliability??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Yesterday I took the entire families colletion of 10-22's to the range to do a little work getting them all zero'd at the same distance using the same ammo and all that good stuff. With that purpose in mind I took every magazine I had ranging from bulter creek steel lips and hot lip mags, and the new ruger bx-25 mags. Of the half dozen bx-25 mags I had three that were consistantly failing to feed. I did not use any factory 10rd mags.

The ammo I was using if the federal champion 36gr plated hollow points. The 550rd bulk packs that are sold at walmart. In a box and a half of the ammo I never had any duds or any other problems and when I looked at what was happening with the feeding problems with the magazines, I don't think I can blaim the ammo in this case.

The only mags I had problems with were the bx-25's and the bullets would consistantly nose dive right into the magazine and end up with a line imprinted right across the front face of the bullet. Three of the half dozen bx-25's were giving me fits and giving me reasons to swear. Few things aggrivate me more than a semi auto gun that doesn't feed and function like it should.

So, what I'm planning on doing is taking a dremel bit and grinding/cutting/polishing the feed lip on the inside of the BX-25's to make them look like an M4 feed ramp. I can't tolerate mags that don't work so if anyone has a suggestion one way or the other for what I'm facing please let me know.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Have you taken them apart and cleaned and oiled the insides? I know a few guys that have had good luck doing that to get them running better. I'd be careful taking a dremel to them.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    What he said

I would try disassembly first looking for mold flash and other small stuff. Not sure why but just taken some of them apart and reassembling seems to help a lot.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I had the same problem with mine... I radiused and polished my feed lip and it didn't help. I then took a toothbrush and some cleaner to the inside of the receiver where the barrel sits and removed all the crud where the extractor goes....

I haven't had any problems since.... :dunno:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had the same problem with mine... I radiused and polished my feed lip and it didn't help. I then took a toothbrush and some cleaner to the inside of the receiver where the barrel sits and removed all the crud where the extractor goes....

I haven't had any problems since.... :dunno:

The nice thing was that I had 4 10-22 rifle sitting right there. One was so old old that it still had the metal trigger guard, and the other three were new within the last 10 years. I tried the faulty mags in all of them.

I'll give the mags a good cleaning tonight, but I have a hard time believing that polishing up that feed lip wouldn't have at least helped somewhat.

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    I have 2 of the BX-25 mags. Would do the same thing you described with more than 16 bullet loaded. 16 or less worked fine. Took apart, cleaned, smoothed rough edges. Had the same thought about polishing the ramp. Started with 800 grit paper by hand to remove any roughness. Lubricated the interior parts with just a tough of Gun Glide grease. Improved to 20 rounds working reliably, but will not work with 25. After my work, saw a guy from Ruger say that the BX-25s are made to NOT require any lubrication.

I think it is a spring issue. When you fully load the mag it uncoils the spring to its limit. Does not seem to have enough strength to fully push the rounds into position. Maybe a common problem, BX-25 owners need to contact Ruger and complain.

btownie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    Monroe County
    I've never had good luck with the non-rotary mags. I had horrible feeding issues several weeks back (the cartridge would not feed all the way into the chamber and when the bolt came forward it would bend the cartridge to an awful angle.) This was with brand new mags using CCI Minimag. I replaced the bolt with a machined one and a hardened extractor. Also changed the recoil guide rod and spring. Shot over 400 rounds through it since with not one misfeed even on my older mags. It seems odd that Ruger would crumple up a pop can, stuff it in their receivers and call it a bolt... Especially on a "target rifle". imho

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i must have got good ones when they first came out the BX-25.....mine have been 100% with over 5k threw each...i have 5..

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My only regret on the 10-22 is that it wasn't designed from the start to function off of high cap mags. If it wasn't for the speedloaders and all the other accessories you can get for the 10-22 I'd think about switching platforms entirely.

If someone makes a reliable speed loader for a the S&W 15-22, I'll sell my 10-22's in a heart beat.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    My only regret on the 10-22 is that it wasn't designed from the start to function off of high cap mags. If it wasn't for the speedloaders and all the other accessories you can get for the 10-22 I'd think about switching platforms entirely.

If someone makes a reliable speed loader for a the S&W 15-22, I'll sell my 10-22's in a heart beat.

you have something else goin' on with your 10/22's :dunno:......have you looked at Blackdog 50rd drum for your 15-22?.....they kind of speed load 10 at a time...

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

hey buddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    ive had good luck with rugers new high cap clips.ive taken my small clip and filled it with cleaner and just let it sit thin blow it out. does good job, my 1022 is so old its serial numbers 4 digits.

btownie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    Monroe County
    Sorry for the unnecessary Ruger rant. I typed before I read thoroughly. It kinda sounds like a faulty mag spring issue if they're jamming in other guns as well.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    The nice thing was that I had 4 10-22 rifle sitting right there. One was so old old that it still had the metal trigger guard, and the other three were new within the last 10 years. I tried the faulty mags in all of them.

I'll give the mags a good cleaning tonight, but I have a hard time believing that polishing up that feed lip wouldn't have at least helped somewhat.

I honestly can't call it... They didn't work for 2 range trips... then they did?

Maybe it took them time to break in?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I honestly can't call it... They didn't work for 2 range trips... then they did?

Maybe it took them time to break in?

I've got no idea on how many range trips these have been on or their individual round counts. The lst time out to the range I had some problems with some, but didn't have a sharpie with me to mark which mags. This time I did. If I clean one, I'll clean them all. The mags in question would feed weren't consistant at all. I'd fire a few then jam, jam, jam, fire a few more, then jam. All the jams were rounds nose diving right into where it looks like a feed lip should be nicely polished. Maybe I'll be lucky and can try working on one tonight.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I have a couple of those TI25 mags and they are great once you get them dialed in to the individual 1022 your going to use them in but if you have multiple 1022's it becomes a problem. Thier not reliable in the other 1022's atleast that has been my experience with them.

I have 3 of the BX-25 Ruger mags and they work very well in all of my 1022's. Maybe I was lucky...

The Butler Creek plastic lip mags I have no luck with at all, the steel lip mags run fairly well.

One item I figured out after working with a 1022 fungun Tommy gun conversion kit with one of my 1022's is that all the mags ran better in that kit because the stock is missing on the sides of the mag well. It seems that your stock can touch the mag sides and stop them from hanging straight up and down out of the gun producing a FTF problem. I have since started to open up the mag wells on my 1022's with much better results...

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have two of the bx25 mags and have the same problem with both. I tried to use a dremel to smooth them out a bit and it did help some but certainly did not fix the problem. I will try to take them apart and clean them. However I just got two butler creek 25 round mags so I plan on using those more.

Top Bottom