• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    I purchased a 1989 Ruger 10/22 from a pawn shop in nice shape but later found one of the scope holes is stripped.

How can I fix it easily. Should I tap he hole to a larger size, and should I do the other three to match? It the second hold from the back.

Any place or anyone in the Indy area (I live in Carmel) that could help me here? I don't have the taps but happy to buy some beer if someone has them nearby.

Thanks
    Mike

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Another vote for the one piece base. In addition, If you have the right size tap, try cleaning the threads up first, then use a bit of Teflon tape to add a touch of grab. Don't forget to loctite the other three.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll also vote for "three outta four aint bad" (and good enough) on a one piece.
    After all, its not a mission critical weapon. If you miss a tree rat due to some play (not likely), no biggie. If you want absolute precision, dont scrimp and buy new. :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    On mine:

1-piece scope base + thread locker/screw in the stripped hole. (Well, mine's just the basic Ruger 1-piece rail)

-J-

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If only one is stripped then 3 screws will hold it fine. It's a 10/22, not a super harsh recoil rifle. If you really want that 4rth hole filled then just drill and tap it to 8-40, and find the proper tapered screw head for the base.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    would look into a helicoil (thread repair insert), but I don't know if they go that small.

If one does use loctite, get the weaker stuff in case you want to remove the base later.

Yep, I used the semi-permanent stuff on mine. It also helps that it's the larger scope-base screw I'd be turning - not one of the little itty bitty flush-mount set-screw-type jobbies that come with the guns.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Plug screws..............had a bunch of them, used on projects and buds rigs.............and now out.
    Time to order a new tube of 'em for another 5+yr run of fiddlin' with crap ;)

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i can help you out. i've got the screws, taps, locktite, an extra dnz one piece scope mount. the thing you have to be careful about on the front 3 screws is going too deep and locking the bolt up. i'd be glad to help and retired now so any day is ok with me. michelob lite is fine. pm me if interested.....daryll

edit...if you have a scope to put on it, bring that too. we can site it in and shoot it.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    i can help you out. i've got the screws, taps, locktite, an extra dnz one piece scope mount. the thing you have to be careful about on the front 3 screws is going too deep and locking the bolt up. i'd be glad to help and retired now so any day is ok with me. michelob lite is fine. pm me if interested.....daryll

edit...if you have a scope to put on it, bring that too. we can site it in and shoot it.

Ill take you up on your offer and buy that DNZ off you too. I was just placing an order with them for one. Friday might work, I'll send you a PM. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom