• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    I'm engaging in my first 10/22 build and I have a specific question about barrel twist. I am only slightly familiar with the concept of barrel twist.

I like the idea of equipping my 10/22 with a 1:9 twist barrel to shoot the heavier 60gr Aquila lead.

However, I don't like the idea of switching barrels to handle different ammo. My question is... how will a barrel with a 1:9 twist fare shooting lighter bullets? Will it effectively or at least reasonably shoot 36gr and 40gr ammo at 50-75 yds? How will it effect the groupings?

I would appreciate some feedback on personal experiences, thanks for the help.

gcoop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Indianapolis
    midway has a good selection of ruger 10/22 barrels. i think a 1:16 twist would shoot about any 22lr ammo including subsonic 22lr.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I shoot standard velocity (1070 fps) CCI's in my Ruger 10/22. It is subsonic. It shoots great. I have a 1 in 16 twist rate. When I did the research, I was intrigued by the Aguila but found enough bad reviews that I chose not to buy a barrel to shoot one round with bad reviews.

My 10/22 shoots with all bullets touching at 25 yards with a tac sol barrel and CCI standard velocities.

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    The poor reviews of the aguila 60gr seems like a trend. I'm really leaning towards the 1:16 twist, 20" hi-desertdog unfluted threaded barrel. Has anyone had experience with this barrel, or similar?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Not to stir things up...

But are the bad reviews of the Aguila 60gr perhaps due to the slower twist of many .22 LR rifles?

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    As a 10/22 shooter from way back, all I can tell you is....

Stay away from the Aguila SSS.

Having a rifle that can only shoot 1 slow, ineffective, inacurate, novelty round well, is...

just not a good idea.

But thats just my opinion, 1/9 10/22 barrels are numerous and very easy to find.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    The Aguilla 60 gr SSS is not match ammo by any means however it does come into it's own niche when using it for pest control when the shots are short and less noise is the goal. At 25 yds it is accurate enough for head shots on small game and significantly less noise. At night pared with a longer bolt action equipped with a flashlight it is a good choice for pest control. Better then an air gun? Your call there, it has more power but depending on the airgun ( compared to say a Kodiak in 25 cal) it is a little louder, but not much, but if one just wants to deal with a pest problem it is an option. Would I build a dedicated gun for this ammo? No way, it is a very limited use round. I have fired one inch groups at 25 yds from 2 different bolt actions, one a Marlin Papoose and the other a Savage target model. The longer barrel did have less noise. In actual field use I have found it to be a good killer for close range shots, and like I said before, significantly less noise then a standard 22lr.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I'll stick to my 1:16 barrel...works just fine for me.
    1022tactical.jpg

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Not only is the Aguila SSS a sub par performer in the accuracy department, it isn't as quiet as you might think it should be - and it does not reliably cycle in semi-autos. I fail to see the point in building a 10/22 specifically for this round when it neither performs as advertised nor cycles the action properly.

If you want something that will get you subsonic/low noise for pest control around the house and NOT jam up - you can try the Remington CBee's. They're a little faster than the CCI CB's but they won't jam your mag and very rarely do you get one with enough power to fully cycle the bolt.

Many a squirrel have fallen victim to a CCI CB Short headshot from my bedroom window - and nobody has ever made the tiniest complaint.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    1:9 10/22

Yes, I do have a 10/22 with a blue, fluted, .920 Green Mountain 1:9 barrel. It does handle the wacky-looking SSS ammo pretty well. To my surprise, I found it also shot some 40 gr bulk ammo I happened to have just as well. I guess you could call it a plinker with an odd diet. I bought the barrel because GM had them on sale and I got it CHEAP. I was suffering a severe case of 10/22itis at the time and already had them in 4 different calibers. Thought it might be fun and different. It was! It's pretty much a safe queen now. The barrel, by the way, came drilled and tapped for a VQ cantilever scope base.

I haven't shot the gun a lot but had no issues with it failing to cycle.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Thanks for this post everybody. I think most people have mulled this over in their minds and wondered.

Tomb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Several of my semi's wouldn't cycle the SSS, for me they tend to start tumbling around 50 yds. I'd much rather shoot some match or high Vel. ammo.

Top Bottom