• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    What do you consider to be the 10 most essential rifles and shotguns to own? Be as specific as you want in terms of manufacturer, model, calibers/gauges. You get 10 picks for all purposes (hunting, survival, self-defense, etc).

BTW...I did a search and didn't find any "essential" lists; someone please point me in the right direction if this has been covered ad naseum.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    10 huh? Thats kind of alot, but I'll bite.

In no real order;

10) 12 guage pump shotgun

9) AR-15

8) 30-06 rifle

7) 9mm carbine

6) 9mm semi-auto pistol

5) .22 rifle

4) .357 Magnum revolver

3) Ak-47

2) 45 semi auto

1) .50 Cal BMG!!!!!!

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    No real order, so here goes:

1 M14 7.62x51 rifle Springfield Armory

2 HK-33 5.56x45 rifle Heckler & Koch

3 M4 5.56x45 carbine Colt

4 M4 Tactical 12ga shotgun Benelli

5 AK-74M 5.45x39 folding stock Izhevsk Russia

6 AE MKIII 7.62x51 rifle Accuracy International

7 M82A1 .50 bmg rifle Barrett

8 AA12 12ga shotgun Atchisson Assault

9 M40A5 7.62x51 rifle Remington/USMC armorers at Quantico Virginia

10 M26 Lightweight Tactical Shotgun 12ga shotgun Sequoia Dynamics

That was fun list to do :rockwoot::ar15:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You can do pretty much all you need to do with:

1: .22LR Rifle (I like the 10/22)
    2: Battle Rifle (I prefer the AK, but I won't turn down the AR)
    3: 12 gauge pump (Mossy 500 / Rem 870)

Everything else is pretty much just gravy IMO. You can do *almost* everything you would need to do with what is listed above. Sure, destroying some target over a mile away with a .50bmg is awesome... but it wouldn't meet *my* definition of essential.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I don't think you need 10 rifles/shotguns for SHTF, however choices will vary depending on location. Not looking to start a pissing contest between firearms that perform similiar roles like the AR and AK, so I'm listing categories of firearms. All firearms should be chambered in a readily available cartridge, unless one already has a surplus of a not so readily available cartridge like the 6.5 Grendel. I don't think 10 rifles/shotguns are necessary, furthermore I'm not so sure that 5 are absolutely "necessary." You could probably get away with 2-3.

Defensive

1 semi-auto, magazine fed, and chambered in an intermediate powered cartridge rifle: ie AR in 5.56x45, AK in 7.62x39, 5.45x39

or

2 semi-auto, magazine fed, and chambered in a full powered cartridge rifle: ie M1A, AR10, FN FAL in 7.62x51, SVT40 in 7.62x54r

Hunting

3 semi-auto or bolt action scoped rifle chambered in a full powered cartridge ie 30-06, 7.62x51, 7.62x54r. (should be more than sufficient for killing any game animal in Indiana.

4 semi-auto or bolt action rifle chambered in .22 LR. for hunting small game.

5. semi-auto or pump action 12 ga shotgun with a variety of loads for hunting.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010

Everything else is pretty much just gravy IMO. You can do *almost* everything you would need to do with what is listed above. Sure, destroying some target over a mile away with a .50bmg is awesome... but it wouldn't meet *my* definition of essential.

Especially when the .50 BMG is grossly overpowered for just about any practical defensive or hunting use in Indiana. And I would not want to lug around a Barrett rifle with ammunition for any sort of distance.

ApacheTactical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    Hamilton County Indiana

I would have to agree here as well

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have tried to keep things simple as in staying with the same calibers etc. Just hard to do with so many options available. That said, here are my choices,

(1) .45 ACP hand gun of your choice. Mine is the Para Ordinance P-14 for its hi-capacity.
    I own several and all of them run perfectly for the most part. The stainless model is heavy but can double as a club or hammer if needed. Would not do this to any of my Colts

(2) AR variant of your choice. I have several and prefer the M-4 with coupled 30 rd. mags for a SHTF scenario. Lights, lasers and optics are a personal choice and I like the aim point for optic. A tactical light would be of use.

(3) A .22 LR is a must. My choice for a hand gun in this caliber would be the Ruger
    Mark 3 with several mags. They are tack drivers and very reliable.

(4) A rifle in .22 LR is also a must have. My choice is the break down survival rifle. I have one and can not remember its manf. The barrel and mag all store in the water proof but stock. Light and resilient. It is in one of my B O B's with a brick of ammo.

(5) Something with a serious punch. My choice is a Remington 700 in 30-06. A good scope is a must as well. Ammo is fairly common and this is a car killer.

(6) A 12 gauge pump gun. My choice is a 1300 defender. They run perfectly, capacity is high and they can be optioned out to a persons choosing.

(7) An auto loading Hi-Capacity 12 gauge. My choice is the Siaga 12. This weapon can be set up to cover any situation I can think of. A 20 rd. drum mag. will give you several options. They weigh a bit when loaded but they are an offensive weapon and worth the effort.

(8) a nice AK or SKS would be useful as the ammo is easy to come by and they are rugged and reliable. I do not see either as needed if the other (7) on my list are available.

(9) this is an option but I think a night capable optic would be most useful.

These are just my personal choices.
    A .50 BMG would not fit into most SHTF scenario's but it would be nice to have just for grins and giggles.

Last edited:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    10 is alot for an essentials list.
    Like the above have posted I'm going with common cartridges, and as much as possible with military type long guns due the availabilty of parts/magazines and the ease of fieldstrip/cleaning/repair.
    Rimfires and shotguns are on my list for hunting.
    A good bolt action centerfire rifle in a common caliber is a must.
    On another note, don't overlook a good lever gun in 30-30. They are not modern or stylish, but they are very effective when used within their limitations. Also the 30-30 rifles and ammunition/reloading components are common.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    10 is alot for an essentials list.
    Like the above have posted I'm going with common cartridges, and as much as possible with military type long guns due the availabilty of parts/magazines and the ease of fieldstrip/cleaning/repair.
    Rimfires and shotguns are on my list for hunting.
    A good bolt action centerfire rifle in a common caliber is a must.
    On another note, don't overlook a good lever gun in 30-30. They are not modern or stylish, but they are very effective when used within their limitations. Also the 30-30 rifles and ammunition/reloading components are common.

I have a lever action in .44-.40 and a matching cowboy gun. I did not think of them as essential but the matching ammo would be a plus. Hard to find this caliber but I have a good supply on hand. A 30-30 would be better. I lean to the mill-spec pieces as well in this scenario. Light, effective and parts are easy enough to find.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Good point churchmouse. The long gun/handgun cartridge compatability is a definate plus. I have a Ruger 77/44 teamed up with a Super Blackhawk. I've seen alot of .45 LC lever guns too, but have never owned anything in that caliber as I have too many irons in the fire the way it is.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN

Agree with most of this except I'd vote .22lr bolt gun just for simplicity's sake. Owned a 10/22 but never worked on it but KISS says auto-loading and mags > complicated than bolt gun.

4) .357 revolver. Something you can personally conceal well. .38 still a very common caliber and good SD choice, .357 adds another dimension.

5) Single shot / bolt action Large caliber rifle. .30'06 / .308 - 7.62x54R will handle anything you're supposed to find in IN..45-70govt. would handle everything you aren't too.

Honestly can't justify any other firearm on "necessity". .22 pistol is nice but does nothing a rifle cant. 9mm pistol/carbine would be nice for ammo availability but :dunno: YMMV.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I want to hunt Zombies...don't you????

I can honestly say I have no desire to shoot any zombies. If a day were to ever come that I had to shoot whatever a zombie really turns out to be, I am certain it will be a sad, somber day.

I am fine buying my purdy rifles with wood stocks and blued barrels.

They haven't made an AR that I would take over a pre 1964 model 70 .300 H&H and I am sure they never will.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Why does every gun conversation on here have to turn into zombie gun needs?

Because the only reason that anybody NEEDS a firearm is for self-preservation. I know there are certainly many other activities that one would need a firearm to partake in, but the OP called for "essential" rifles/shotguns.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Because the only reason that anybody NEEDS a firearm is for self-preservation. I know there are certainly many other activities that one would need a firearm to partake in, but the OP called for "essential" rifles/shotguns.

My point. This is essential in a SHTF scenario. I have several pretty rifles. I really enjoy shooting them but I can also stand off against some zombies with any of my AR variants.
    Yes, that would be a sad, sad day.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    What do you consider to be the 10 most essential rifles and shotguns to own? Be as specific as you want in terms of manufacturer, model, calibers/gauges. You get 10 picks for all purposes (hunting, survival, self-defense, etc).

BTW...I did a search and didn't find any "essential" lists; someone please point me in the right direction if this has been covered ad naseum.
    Here is my personal list. In order of preference.
    1. Ruger 10/22 2. Rem/Moss 12 gage Pump 3. Rem 700 in .308 Win 4. AK-47 5. AK-74 6. Marlin 336 7. Hi Point 995 carbine 8. AR-15 9. pistol grip 12 gage (Moss) 10. SKS

These would be my humble picks.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I want to hunt Zombies...don't you????

The Walking Dead shows clearly that the guns aren't the answer for dealing with zombies. The report will attract even more zombies, and there's always more of them, but your ammo is limited. So for zombies, bow and arrows!

Top Bottom