• A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    HOLY @%#!!!! Check this video out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJmvhDbgxlk&oref=http%3A%2F%2F"

Once watched, what do you think? Trigger happy officer or the right call unleashing all that lead? The issue i have is that the one doing the shooting ISN'T the one in danger. Its the BA looking cop holding a dog off to the side. I think it was uncalled for. Thoughts?

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Debate over this will rage forever. You need to specify whether you want to consider the legal side of this or the other side.

Some definitions:
    Officer #1 = Officer armed initially with tazer
    Officer #2 = Officer with dog
    Suspect = Guy with what looked like a sledge hammer or equally dangerous blunt force weapon.

It's a huge you weren't there. Watching the video over and over one can see that the suspect pulled up just before getting shot by officer #2. In reality, neither officer knew if he was going to pull up. Officer #2 fired to protect officer #1 as he tried to switch from tazer to firearm. It took three shots before the suspect even turned away from the officers and he was still moving when the second volley of shots rang out. My personal feelings say the first five shots were in response to the suspect's advance on Officer #1 and were in the clear. After that, the suspect is hidden by the car so no judgement can be made on the second five shots. I also say that if you are bold enough to advance on an officer when he has already attempted to taze you and others have weapons drawn, you're asking for bad things to happen.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Good shoot. Quick thinking on the officers part. Not trigger happy.

The amount of shots fired has nothing to do with whether or not it is a good shoot.

Rule of thumb is shoot until the threat is stopped. If you noticed the guy didn't even go down until the 8th or 9th shot.

he may have saved his fellow officers life on that one.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The first batch of shots, i would say were justified, the second set, i think may have been excessive as the suspect was already on his way to the ground, but the car blocks that view so i withold judgment.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    After that, the suspect is hidden by the car so no judgement can be made on the second five shots..

After the first 5 he ducks back, then you can see his head come back up behind the car, hence the next 5 shots.

At that point the threat wasn't stopped so the shooting continued..

IndyGunWorks said:
    The first batch of shots, i would say were justified, the second set, i think
    may have been excessive as the suspect was already on his way to the ground, but
    the car blocks that view so i withold judgment.

He stood back up behind the car. He never went down until the last shot, that's why they stopped shooting. Plus he may have still had the crowbar, that is obscurred by the car, but the suspect clearly still standing is not. And if he didn't have the crowbar I can guarantee it was in reach, because the suspect didn't cover much distance.

A 7.62 Exodus said:
    I agree!! It looks like the perp. is turning away when the second volley

hits.

so they stop shooting just because he turned away? he was still standing, he already advanced towards an officer once, back turned or not, he is still a threat. Even if he doens't have the crowbar at that point if he turned back towards the officers they would have shot him anyway because of his previous advancement. If you get tagged as a threat, you will remain a threat until you surrender or are stopped.

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Bottom line good shoot.

As a side note if you are stupid enough to threaten a police officer with a weapon then you dont really need to be poluting the gene pool anymore.

This subject has been discussed and I doubt the debate will ever end. If you are not a cop on the job being threatened with a weapon then you really don't know what you would do.

I have seen cops here in the neighborhood respond to situations where I would have shot, but the cops have the training and discipline most of the time to handle the situation without killing the aggressor.

Why don't we hear about the many many times cops respond and handle a deadly situation without any deaths involved?

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Why don't we hear about the many many times cops respond and handle a deadly situation without any deaths involved?

Because here in America no one wants to be offended, and yet we all want to see the scary/gorey/offensive stuff anyway. And unfortunately a deadly situation stopped without the "deadly" part doesn't fit that criteria, therefore no news story necessary.

Basically nobody ever wants to see death, but secretly everyone wants to. Show me someone who will pass a particularly bad car accident and not look, and I will admit that I am dead wrong.

Last edited:

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    They did the right thing, but I'm really surprised they didnt let the dog on him.

As a side note, what if I unloaded 10 rounds into someone for self defense? It does say the officer is under investigation. I bet alot of witnesses will say it was excessive.

I wasn't there.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Because here in America no one wants to be offended, and yet we all want to see the scary/gorey/offensive stuff anyway. And unfortunately a deadly situation stopped without the "deadly" part doesn't fit that criteria, therefore no news story necessary.

Basically nobody ever wants to see death, but secretly everyone wants to. Show me someone who will pass a particularly bad car accident and not look, and I will admit that I am dead wrong.

I do it all the time. But, i am a fireman so i see enough of it on duty that i am no longer curious to see it off duty, nor do i have the desire to watch and not be able to help.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I bet alot of witnesses will say it was excessive..

I'd be willing to bet alot of those witnesses would be the anti-gun/anti-LEO type, because that's what we see all to often, and the guys filming the video were all to excited to see someone get shot, so I wouldn't rest too much confidence on any witness at that scene.

I do it all the time. But, i am a fireman so i see enough of it on duty that i am no longer curious to see it off duty, nor do i have the desire to watch and not be able to help.

your line of work excuses you, but the bolded part proves my point.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

I am that man.

armyvet209

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    LAKE COUNTY
    link is still no good, but i found the video. looks like a good shoot to me. as it has been mentioned already, none of us know the circumstances that brought about the shooting but it does appear that the suspect (whom i'm assuming is deceased) was given ample oppurtunity to comply. dont bring a crowbar to a gunfight.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
    il_570xN.194197419.jpg

Top Bottom