Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    :) Guns don't make violence, people do.

Yer link is not working...

link works just fine IF you follow his instructions. It's a stupid article that links suicides with violent gun death. If someone wants to commit suicide, they WILL find a way, and it probably won't be as quick and painless as with a firearm.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    I am waiting for that bunch to consider animal deaths in their gun violence figures. After all, they add it to their staistics when the cops gun down an escaped felon.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Saved you a click. Article has more detail, though, of course:

10. Tennessee
    9. New Mexico
    8. Oklahoma
    7. Wyoming
    6. Arkansas
    5. Montana
    4. Alabama
    3. Mississippi
    2. Louisiana
    1. Alaska

Do they differentiate suicide and self-defense from violent crime? I see they're quick to point out if the state requires a firearm license or not. Cute.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I hate websites that make you load each page, one at a time.

I got as far as seeing Tennessee is #10. I'd read awhile back that Tennessee is like the 3rd most violent state in the country. Most of it is probably around Memphis with lesser amounts around the other big cities. If you're thinking about retiring down there, don't live in Memphis or Jackson.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    "Permit required to buy handgun: No"

They used that as a stat for every state, subtly implying less freedom is the solution.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Here's a link to the actual report, not a clickbait repost.

10 States With the Most Gun Violence - 24/7 Wall St.

Here's a little tidbit that Market Watch conveniently left off their abstract:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) keeps track of the number of gun-related deaths in each state. Fatalities include homicides, suicides, and accidents. The frequency of firearm-related deaths varies considerably across the country. In Hawaii, the state with the fewest gun-related fatalities, there were just 2.6 firearm-associated deaths per 100,000 people. In Alaska, on the other hand, there were nearly 20 gun-related deaths per 100,000 residents, the most of any state. 24/7 Wall St. examined the 10 states with the highest gun-related deaths.

Suicide is the leading cause of gun-related deaths across the country in recent years. Of the 33,636 firearm deaths in 2013, more than 21,000 were suicides. In fact, suicide accounted for more than half of gun-related deaths in all but one state with the most gun violence. In three states — Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming — suicide accounted for more than 80% of all firearm deaths.

To determine the states with the most gun violence, 24/7 Wall St. examined 2013 firearm-related deaths data from the CDC.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Ya know, I looked up a site on death statistics and found that your chances of being killed by a gun on the national average is about the same as dying from the flu or pneumonia or a car accident. However, your chances of dying from poison is actually higher. Your chances of dying from some any kind of injury is 6 times higher than your chance of being killed by a gun.

Top Bottom