• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    It just occured to me that my emergency stash of 1000 $ in 100$ bills needs to be changed to 10$ bills or maybe even 5$ bills

If SHTF and I need some cash for small items, it might be hard to use the big bills.

Johnny C

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I'll send you a 5 and a 10 for the 100s! Bam problem solved.

Really 1000 is overkill. I could see maybe 100 to 200 in small bills.

Maybe purchase some silver/gold.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Keeping cash is a good idea, but keep quarters, dimes, ones, fives, and tens. Also, keep the most up-to-date bills if possible. Folks will say that if there is a true collapse, money will be worthless, and they will be correct. However, after the collapse, once things stabilize, people will likely want something easy to use as a means of currency. Since US currency has great anti-counterfeit properties, seems lots of people would likely want to use that as a means of trading if barter becomes too much of a hassle and/or they start seeing too many fraudulent gold and silver coins.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I agree in a long term SHTF cash money won't have a lot of value, but right after it happens people are going to want cash like crazy or like Indy317 said once is starts to stabilize people will start want it again.

I would say $400-500 in small bills and coins would be all I would need.

thompbarn

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    You can ask for "straps" of new bills at your bank. They can order these bundles of 100 bills in any denomination. The bills are new, so they stack and store neatly. I'd get ones and fives. In a SHTF scenario, the credit system might go down. With cash, you might be able to recognize what is going on and make those last purchases IF you have cash on hand.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I keep all of mine in twenties and have a fairy large amount hidden. Although, I keep mine around in case of long blackouts (like the northeast has now) I have what is needed when money can't be drawn out of banks due to blackout and what nots.

It's a good idea for the small shtf event as stated above.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    All joking aside I actually just had my daughter take $50 broken into a twenty, a ten and the rest in fives and ones.

It is just emergency money. She doesn't spend it. My thoughts are for a small scale SHTF event, but say she slides off the road... somebody comes by with a truck and a chain. Maybe she can get out of a bad situation with a little money.

Cheap insurance for now.

I keep cash on me for SHTF and more importantly for when a great deal drops in my lap and they don't take plastic.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    In a SHTF situation paper money is likely to be worthless...
    Not in all of them. When I worked in New Orleans I had a deal worked out with a local cabbie to drive me to Dallas or other areas where I had a place I could go. I flew in every Sunday and out every Friday night or Saturday morning, no rental car, just used the same cabbies all the time. To from the airport. Every day to and from the hotel and client, out to dinner if I didn't walk.

In return he could bring his family with us, on my tab.

But if you carry large bills in SHTF's, guess what, no one can make change. You gotta bring your own. That is always true. Have 5's, 10's and 20's wrapped in a few ones.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    People will take cash for a while out of habit or because they don't know better.
    In the long run no currency may have any value. A stash of can goods or ammo might make more sense than gold you can't eat.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Not in all of them. When I worked in New Orleans I had a deal worked out with a local cabbie to drive me to Dallas or other areas where I had a place I could go. I flew in every Sunday and out every Friday night or Saturday morning, no rental car, just used the same cabbies all the time. To from the airport. Every day to and from the hotel and client, out to dinner if I didn't walk.

In return he could bring his family with us, on my tab.

But if you carry large bills in SHTF's, guess what, no one can make change. You gotta bring your own. That is always true. Have 5's, 10's and 20's wrapped in a few ones.

Agreed I wasn't thinking about the short term SHTF type situation. I guess I wasn't thinking about it because I normally (Not so much lately) have a stash of cash, but I have always referred to it as she dollars. Dollars she don't know I got LOL...:D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Guys, SHTF is not just a total societal collapse.

SHTF can be loss of job, bank shutdown, communications shutdowns, extended power outages etc.

Without banks, power, communications all forms of electronic payment are put on hold, and cash is king.

Think about it, most larger stores can't even take a check without power these days.

So to recommend only $1-200 cash on hand because "it won't be any good" is ridiculous. There is no way to predict exactly what the SHTF is.

My advice, keep cash on hand, it will be much more useful in the short term SHTF and/or the short period of time before people realize that it isn't just a short-term SHTF anymore. Cash will be king in those cases, good luck finding somebody that will take gold until the SHTF becomes more serious...

:twocents:

Top Bottom