• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    Got my AR out today to see what I could do at 100 yards and peep sights. Managed 3.25" group with 55gr FMJ American Eagle rounds. Plan to head out in the morning to see if I can get a shot at a yote. Starting to see what most see in the AR format. I am going to order a new upper with a flat top maybe in .204 for a scope. Just what I need..another gun habit..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As you learn to work with the peep sights, you will be amazed at the precision you can get with the simple sight system. The X ring on a 600 to 100 reduced target is the diameter of a dime. I have seen a AR service rifle competitor shoot a target during a match at Falls Creek Valley Club show ten for ten shots in or touching that dime size ring and the competitor followed up with an eight for ten shot second target with the other two inside the 10 ring. 52 grain Sierra MatchKings sitting on 24.8 grains of Varget sparked by a CCI standard primer. Shot from an unsupported prone position. Never assume that only a scoped rifle can be accurate.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You shoot a pretty tough target at 100 yards. Surely you couldn't see that tiny little dot and put the front sight on it? If you can see that dot with irons at 100 yards, my hat is off to you.

LIke Leo says, the AR is capable of great accuracy, but I need more black. What he is referring to is a much larger black to send the bullet into the center. I think it is the NRA SR 1 with the small x-ring. I don't remember the target name. But the black is about the diameter of your paper plate.

Anyway, good shooting.

whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    You shoot a pretty tough target at 100 yards. Surely you couldn't see that tiny little dot and put the front sight on it? If you can see that dot with irons at 100 yards, my hat is off to you.

LIke Leo says, the AR is capable of great accuracy, but I need more black. What he is referring to is a much larger black to send the bullet into the center. :twocents:I think it is the NRA SR 1 with the small x-ring. I don't remember the target name. But the black is about the diameter of your paper plate.
    A
    Anyway, good shooting.

At 75 yards I can see the black dot clear. At 100 yards its still in the image but very faint. I had the front pin split the plate but the whole time in focus on that small fuzzy black dot. "Aim small miss small" is a good rule to follow. Its more than a good line from a movie.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I guess I should have mentioned the target I was talking about. It is the MR-31 official competition target. It is designed to simulate 600 yard (no wind)competition at a 100 yard range. The whole aiming black is 5.75 inches and the 10 ring is 1.75 with the X ring being a small 3/4 inch. Center that aiming black on the front post, adjust the elevation to throw the bullets in the center, and the rifle and bullets know how to do their job.

I see a lot of different ideas of what is long range. By military definition, up to 600 yards is still "MEDIUM RANGE". Long range is 800,900,1000 and more. If course these definitions were developed when infantry men shot 30-06 caliber rifles. The 7.62 Nato round had problems past 900.

Last edited:

whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    I still want to get a new upper w/flat top for a scope but will continue to work on my skills with open sights. After an hour of shooting I was able to hit a softball size snowball placed on top of a stick at 100 yards. I think 100 yards is my max for the peep sight. I cant imagine shooting targets at 500 yards + with a peep??? but my experience with the peep was limited to plinking close range with my M1 Carbine and the one day we qualified in Basic Training (Air Force). I know a guy in Canada that shoots yotes at 200 yards with a Marlin 336 in .219 zipper and a Williams Peep System so I know it can be done.

We got out today and didnt see a dog..I have killed 8 yotes in the last 10 years and not one was while hunting them. Always while deer or turkey hunting. I think we need to fine tune our yote calling/hunting??? Still time spent in the woods and not in front of the TV or computer. :D

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    We got out today and didnt see a dog..I have killed 8 yotes in the last 10 years and not one was while hunting them. Always while deer or turkey hunting. I think we need to fine tune our yote calling/hunting??? Still time spent in the woods and not in front of the TV or computer. :D

My future FIL has shot 7 this year. In his back yard.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I cant imagine shooting targets at 500 yards + with a peep???

Why not?

If you can see and hit a 4" target at 100 yards then you can see and hit a 20" target at 500 yards. Visually there is little difference.

Compensation for bullet drop and wind are required regardless of sighting system.

whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    Why not?

If you can see and hit a 4" target at 100 yards then you can see and hit a 20" target at 500 yards. Visually there is little difference.

Compensation for bullet drop and wind are required regardless of sighting system.

Would be fun to try it some day. Like I said..My experience with the peeps is limited at best. Wanting to put a Springfield in .308 together for longer range and just another reason to shoot.. :D :D This site has got me in the gun mood again..Been on it for only 2 months and have purchased 3 guns since..hmmm...if this keeps up I will need another gun safe..and a place to put it...

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My old eyes aren't what they used to be and I use Red dots stuck over the black and it's greatly improved my grouping. The target is easier to point with contrasting colors at least for me anyway.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Would be fun to try it some day. Like I said..My experience with the peeps is limited at best. Wanting to put a Springfield in .308 together for longer range and just another reason to shoot.. :D :D This site has got me in the gun mood again..Been on it for only 2 months and have purchased 3 guns since..hmmm...if this keeps up I will need another gun safe..and a place to put it...

Already there. Wife let me clear out space in the spare bedroom for the 2nd safe. I was reconnected to this insanity by a good friend that has been with me through several of my addictions (Fast Harley's-fast cars etc) last year and the collection has doubled. Am currently attempting to finish a 16" barreled AR variant in .308 to reach out and touch things. If they could put this in a pill !!

Top Bottom