• ...and so much more!
  • jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Why not try it?! It worked in obamacare. :rolleyes:

Indeed, that's exactly what the SCOTUS said. Since Obamacare was effectively a "tax" and the federal government has the constitutional authority to levy taxes, Obamacare was legal. It's totally twisted thinking and could be applied to ALMOST anything!

But not voting! A poll tax was previously determined be a violation of the 14th Amendment's EQUAL PROTECTION clause since it effectively made the exercise of a constitutional right (voting) prohibitively expensive for poorer citizens.

This SAME legal argument can (and will, if this sort of thing gets enacted) be used. If mandatory insurance on guns (which are a constitutional right just like voting) is a tax, then that tax is unconstitutional as a violation of the same equal protection clause in the 14A.

But as always with these liberal-elitist politicians. The facts and the Constitution are irrelevant. Since they KNOW they are right (by definition) they can do whatever they want.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Not a poll tax, but voters' insurance. If you vote in another *ss clown like the current POTUS, you're liable for up to $1 trillion. Or don't vote if you can't pay the price. Simple enough.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Chief Justice Roberts may have done us a big favor intentionally or not. I just read about a lawsuit that may have a good chance of wiping out all of O'Bummercare because all revenue raising must originate in the house. O'Bummercare is somehow considered to have been started in the senate. Supposedly, this would nullify everything about O'Bummercare up to the point in time should the Supreme Court decide that the Act was not constitutionally originated. We can only hope. Ask me no questions as that is all that I know from a short article in Michael Savage today talking about the various lawsuits against O'Bummercare.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I really like the self-defense insurance idea..........yes officer, I could have stopped this lunatic from shooting all these people, but my self-defense insurance has lapsed and I could not afford to renew it...sorry:(:rolleyes:

moltke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Springville

Was going to post this too ... as again this is the tactic that is likely to be taken. They are going to tax their way to banning guns. I love how their stupid argument keeps throwing guns into some general category. Don't they even have to TRY and swindle laws around the fact that gun ownership is part of our BILL OF RIGHTS! The fact that the 2nd is expressing part of our Constitution makes this illegal on so many grounds. But alas I forget that we have 3 broken branches of our government and such facts are no longer valid.

Also, it's most distressing that the reasons for this being defeated are mostly ECONOMICAL and not on the grounds itself! Even if they pass this one day as a measure charging only $50 bucks for a lifetime then we've screwed ourselves. The precedents set by something like this are damning. As the saying goes, give the devil and inch and he'll become your ruler. I say give a democrat a dollar (and basically Republicans when in power) and they'll take $1,000.00 from your grandkids.

USAFVet

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Indy
    If they propose it as a tax it has to start out in the House and it wouldnt even be brought up for a vote in the house.

moltke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Springville
    Well I hope that is the case, but I hope their reasons for it falling on its face in the house is because the members voice their opposition to the very idea and principle of this rubbish rather than just talk about how it's too much money or base their no vote on only the economic element of it. If that happens you might as well start a timeline for a day when it will pass. Similarly if some of the states start passing it and finding it a nice tidy way of collecting more of our money then the push to throw gun owners to the garbabe pail (ala smokers) will start looking more and more attractive too.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Just wait until they try to tax ammo. Heck, just listing it as a hazardous material would raise the price of all ammo just do to the shipping. Imagine paying $25 per order to ship ammo from an online dealer! Would be significant amounts of money over time.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Indeed, that's exactly what the SCOTUS said. Since Obamacare was effectively a "tax" and the federal government has the constitutional authority to levy taxes, Obamacare was legal. It's totally twisted thinking and could be applied to ALMOST anything!

But not voting! A poll tax was previously determined be a violation of the 14th Amendment's EQUAL PROTECTION clause since it effectively made the exercise of a constitutional right (voting) prohibitively expensive for poorer citizens.

This SAME legal argument can (and will, if this sort of thing gets enacted) be used. If mandatory insurance on guns (which are a constitutional right just like voting) is a tax, then that tax is unconstitutional as a violation of the same equal protection clause in the 14A.

But as always with these liberal-elitist politicians. The facts and the Constitution are irrelevant. Since they KNOW they are right (by definition) they can do whatever they want.

^^^^^^This^^^^^

It's nothing more than a modern day "poll tax". And should be struck down as such.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Just have to wonder about Rep. Carolyn Maloney who is pushing this bill and made this statement ...

"For too long, gun victims and society at large have borne the brunt of the costs of gun violence," Maloney said in a written statement. "My bill would change that by shifting some of that cost back onto those who own the weapons."

Like those who commit the vast majority of gun violence crimes is going to make sure they have the insurance. If you catch them, make sure you take the $10,000 fine out of their prison income.

Here is the link to story on Fox News ... Democrats push bill in Congress to require gun insurance under penalty of fine | Fox News

BFG

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just have to wonder about Rep. Carolyn Maloney who is pushing this bill and made this statement ...

"For too long, gun victims and society at large have borne the brunt of the costs of gun violence," Maloney said in a written statement. "My bill would change that by shifting some of that cost back onto those who own the weapons."

Like those who commit the vast majority of gun violence crimes is going to make sure they have the insurance. If you catch them, make sure you take the $10,000 fine out of their prison income.

Here is the link to story on Fox News ... Democrats push bill in Congress to require gun insurance under penalty of fine | Fox News

You'll have to have "Uninsured Criminal" added to your policy. ;)

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Next I want Happiness insurance. We should all be protected against disappointment, since the Constitution guarantees safety and happiness!!

We need to cocoon up all the bad stuff in insurance coverage, so we're never hurt or out of sorts...

Top Bottom