• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yes I did some months back when the same question was asked of me on another forum.
    Round dropped in and dropped back out, and it passed fine.

This pistol has worked flawlessly with every ammo I tried in it, Underwood 155 grain JHP, Underwood 180 grain JHP, and S&B 180 grain JHP.

ONLY the wide tipped Double Tap 200 grain hard cast has failed to operate properly.
    Do you think a good polishing would help? Or did S&W do a good job on it?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Do you think a good polishing would help? Or did S&W do a good job on it?
    In my case, I don't think polishing would help, but I can't speak for variations in manufacture.

I did a fair amount of testing with my M&P 10mm 4.6" last year, and after much thought about things I noticed in my testing, came to the conclusion last year that I want to try some stronger magazine springs and a stronger recoil spring.
    I just haven't gotten around to ordering them yet, as this is not an everyday carry pistol.

In looking today, I find some recent videos of people who have gotten the heaver springs and they had success with them.

BUT as to the heavier hard cast rounds, even my 10mm Glocks didn't reliably work with 220 grain hard cast loads.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    In my case, I don't think polishing would help, but I can't speak for variations in manufacture.

I did a fair amount of testing with my M&P 10mm 4.6" last year, and after much thought about things I noticed in my testing, came to the conclusion last year that I want to try some stronger magazine springs and a stronger recoil spring.
    I just haven't gotten around to ordering them yet, as this is not an everyday carry pistol.

In looking today, I find some recent videos of people who have gotten the heaver springs and they had success with them.

BUT as to the heavier hard cast rounds, even my 10mm Glocks didn't reliably work with 220 grain hard cast loads.
    My Glock 20sf I had a 22lb recoil spring in it. My RIA 1911 10mm has a 24lb recoil and 25lb main spring per ChurchMouse suggestion. It still throws brass about 25-30 feet away.
    It cycles everything I've put in it.

They say Glock needs an aftermarket barrel to stabilize the 220gr so I never went past 200gr WFNGC bullets.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm at a spot that I want a 10mm, but haven't found a platform that I'd like to shoot it out of yet.

S&W 3rd gens are cool as heck, but outrageously priced. They're also pretty heavy as a hiking companion.

The P220 is also cool as heck, but also heavy, and only available in expensive upmarket versions because Sig is at it heart a marketing company and insists on upselling it's customers with fluff.

The S&W 610 is cool, but revolvers are better with rimmed cases and if you're going to limit yourself to 5 or 6 rounds in a wheelgun, it might as well be .44 Mag.

1911s are SAO which doesn't meet my use case for the round (I love a 1911, though). Like the 3rd gens, they're also pretty heavy.

I don't object to the Glock platform (although I'm not enamored with the grip angle), and Glock has the form factor I want in the 29, but they have an unsupported chamber and polygonal rifling. As a reloader, I'm not going to buy a handgun that you can't feed cast bullets, or one that destroys brass.

The M&P 10 I shot had the worst trigger of any striker-fired gun I've ever handled. Mushy and it felt like somebody had dumped a bucket of sand in it. Outrageously gritty...I couldn't believe they allowed it to leave the factory like that. I've shot some Apex upgraded guns in the past as well, and still wasn't impressed.

I hate XDs, and I can't shoot them. There's nothing mechanically wrong with them, I just hate them. I hate the shape of the grip and the way the gun balances and recoils. I've not shot a 10mm, but I've shot 9mms and .40s and hated them all....I can't imagine that chambering it in 10mm would change that.

The P320 XTen is interesting, but I want a carry gun not a hunting gun, and I don't need the elevated pricing that Sig likes to push with their X-gun marketing hype. Give me a basic Nitron compact model in 10mm, please, like I can get with a Glock 29, but with a fully-supported chamber and normal rifling.

To date I'm still waiting on the right one to come along. If Glock were to release a Gen 5 model 29 with standard rifling and a supported chamber, that would be an option. Or a "compact" or "carry" sized P320. If I really had my wish, somebody would make a small DA/SA in 10mm, but I imagine that's probably hoping for too much.
    I could have written this. It's exactly how I feel about 10mm. I don't need a hunting handgun, I need a compact carry piece that can double as a woods gun with a switch to hard cast bullets. To date, the only options in a more compact size are the uncomforably wide brick, club foot mag equipped Glock 29 and the XDm "Elite" (LOL) 3.8, which is...just...no.

I know what I want, but they don't make it. Yet. I held one of these and loved the feel, and if they ever make a compact (and I think they probably will), I'll be plunking down the cash for it...

FN510.png

FN, are you reading this? Give me a 509 midsize profile, 13+1 will work, don't need a threaded barrel, don't need suppressor height sights or '57 Chevy wings...don't even need an optic cut, if you're taking requests.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I think .40 will basically cyle in just about any 10mm, but there isn't a single manufacturer that will tell you that it's ok to do it.
    I've seen it on YouTube and read about it.
    I think the only downside is they say the extractor might break.
    Of course I haven't seen that proven yet.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I'm at a spot that I want a 10mm, but haven't found a platform that I'd like to shoot it out of yet.

S&W 3rd gens are cool as heck, but outrageously priced. They're also pretty heavy as a hiking companion.

To date I'm still waiting on the right one to come along. If Glock were to release a Gen 5 model 29 with standard rifling and a supported chamber, that would be an option. Or a "compact" or "carry" sized P320. If I really had my wish, somebody would make a small DA/SA in 10mm, but I imagine that's probably hoping for too much.

You can make one pretty cheap. Just pick up a 4013, lengthen the chamber from .40S&W to 10mm and yank the spacer out of the magazine. You end up with a compact alloy frame single-stack 10mm with a 3-1/2" barrel and 8+1 capacity. Checking completed sales on GB shows you can pick up a decent 4013 for $500-600 pretty regularly. Conversion shouldn't cost a hundred bucks, probably less from anyone already possessing a 10mm reamer. Smith & Wesson built the 4013(and DAO 4053)on the .45ACP frame so it has the length and the beef to handle the 10mm. But be aware that they also produced the 4013TSW(and DAO 4053TSW)which are completely different firearms and you don't want one of those. Those were produced on the double-stack 9mm frame and don't have the necessary length for conversion to 10mm.

The exact same thing goes for the old Mauser M2 but it's a rotating barrel DAO striker gun. Never made in 9mm, both the .45ACP and the .40S&W use the same frame so lengthening the chamber of a .40 and pulling the magazine spacer turns it into a 10+1 double-stack 3-1/2" 10mm. Nice guns but really scrunchy triggers. You're going to pay $450-500 for the Mauser and the .40 is going to be harder to find than the .45 and probably cost a few dollars more. Good news is that the mags are CHEAP! CDNN gave away .40 Mauser mags with every order for years. The .40 guns are relatively rare, the mags are everywhere. The .45 guns are common but extra mags are impossible to find. Just one result of the gun never catching on. But the rotating barrel and wider frame make a real soft shooting 10mm(from what I've read).

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I have 3 10mm handguns
    EAA witness Hunter
    Sig Xten
    Ruger 1911
    If you can find An EAA do yourself a favor. I had the Glock 20
    EAA and Sig are fine weapons!!

Top Bottom