• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had doubts about buying a 10mm for all the reasons you just mentioned, but once you have the brass reloading the 10mm doesn't really cost any more than a 40 because you're using the same bullet, primer, and a couple more grains of powder. Once you have the brass the price difference is pretty minimal if you reload. If you've got to buy the factory stuff, then get ready to pay big bucks.

I keep hoping that Indiana is going to allow the 10mm for hunting some day, but who knows if/when that'll ever happen. For me, I'm in a position that I can just about never sell mine now. I reloaded so much ammo that I could sell my gun, but then I'd just be sitting on about 1000rds of handloaded 10mm that I couldn't sell. I'm not complaining or saying that's a bad thing, it just is what it is.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    the biggest problem I had was finding brass cheap enough, and available to allow for volume shooting that I occasionally like to do. I decided to go with 44 magnum brass for the price. With the .40, brass can be had for next to nothing. On the other hand shortly after I got rid of my 10mm I saw that usaammo started selling some decent priced ammo if I had to buy it.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    brass availability seems like it has been pretty spotty as of late, unless you want to get virgin brass direct from Starline.

I've been kicking around the idea of another G20 or a 10mm 1911 myself, and have been looking around at my usual brass vendors and not seeing anything. I've got a few hundred pieces on hand, but anything under 2k and I feel I'm running low.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I knew going into the 10mm that I was going to want to use starline brass so I looked for a manufacturer who used starline brass. I bought some ammo from Georgia Arms in one of their "canned heat" packages at an expensive, but reasonable deal for 10mm factory loads. I just wanted the cheapest 500rds of factory 10mm I could find that I could keep the brass on and that's what I got. After I broke in the gun using factory ammo I had a pile to reload. Then I bought some more from a guy on INGO who was selling once fired starline 10mm brass. Then I bought a box of 100 pieces of starline brass from midway. You don't have to do it all at once, but buying the factory ammo from Georgia Arms was a great way for me to break in the gun and collect brass at the same time. Once you've got the brass, you're home free and you're only paying for the brass once. My G20SF has over a 1k rounds through it and I think I've only had one or two damaged pieces of brass and that was probably me belling the mouth too much when I reloaded them.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I have put of throwing my hat in on a 10mm pistol......... I have read and read and its a screamer of a round. Good trajectory and excellant knockdown power. Hopefully here before long I will try it out for myself ;)

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I seriously was thinking about buying a 10mm Glock when I bought my .40 S&W 10 years ago, then I looked at the price of ammo(did not reload back then). I agree with the rest of these guys, if you reload, go for it. (if I buy another Glock it will be a 10mm)

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I love my g29. its never had a FTF, FTE, or any reliability issues. I reload and it just happens to be the cheapest round I reload for. Eventually I would like to get a 5" S&W 610 and a Kimber Eclipse to go with my glock.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I would probably go for a delta elite, I just really like the 1911 platform, worst thing is the gun is pretty pricy

I found one at the last 1500, price was in the $600 range. Looked to be in decent shape too. If there werent 100 other things on my want to buy list I might have took it home with me.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Loading a 10MM?

i feel the exact same way about my glock 20. and ammo is really expensive
    Another GREAT reason to reload!!
    the biggest problem I had was finding brass cheap enough, and available to allow for volume shooting that I occasionally like to do. I decided to go with 44 magnum brass for the price. With the .40, brass can be had for next to nothing. On the other hand shortly after I got rid of my 10mm I saw that usaammo started selling some decent priced ammo if I had to buy it.
    10MM brass can be had for right at/just a little more then .45acp. brass.
    brass availability seems like it has been pretty spotty as of late, unless you want to get virgin brass direct from Starline.
    Put out "Feelers" and request on all of the gun forums-some will come through..
    I've been kicking around the idea of another G20 or a 10mm 1911 myself, and have been looking around at my usual brass vendors and not seeing anything. I've got a few hundred pieces on hand, but anything under 2k and I feel I'm running low.
    Heck--down to a couple of K of ANY brass+I feel unhappy...

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Another GREAT reason to reload!!

10MM brass can be had for right at/just a little more then .45acp. brass.

Heck--down to a couple of K of ANY brass+I feel unhappy...

When I was looking I couldnt find any 10MM used brass. I went to starline and waited a month to get my new brass ($95.00 for 500 shipped). This was a year ago. The last brass I bought for 45 acp was 2000 once fired polished ready to load brass for $80 shipped to my door. Granted it is apples to oranges but shooting high volume at the time I wasn't concerned with new versus used brass.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    10MM Brass...

When I was looking I couldnt find any 10MM used brass. I went to starline and waited a month to get my new brass ($95.00 for 500 shipped). This was a year ago. The last brass I bought for 45 acp was 2000 once fired polished ready to load brass for $80 shipped to my door. Granted it is apples to oranges but shooting high volume at the time I wasn't concerned with new versus used brass.

You're right. 10MM brass is not in the same category as your common 9MM,.38Spl./.357Mag.,.45acp. brass.
    To me, 10MM brass is in the available range as .357Sig,.41 Mag.,and .45 Colt, etc.

As far as price goes, in my Jan. edition of Dillon Blue Press, they listed Starline Brass:
    1. .357 SIG-$163.40
    2. .40 S&W-$149.60
    3. 10MM-$156.30
    4. .45ACP.-$158.80
    5. .45 COLT-$177.60

(This is all per K)

Now, granted, Dillon Blue Press is not the best/cheapest place to buy brass, but it gives me an indication of what Starline Brass is going for.

I, like you, put out request (on this Forum+other Forums) for 10MM brass about 1 1/2 years ago+the supply was not that great. I ended up with a few K's of it, and with my supply of .40 S&W (With my G-20 conversion barrel), I was able to get used to my Glock 20 with a "Few" rounds put down the tube...Bill.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    I have been wanting to buy a glock 20 for a while now and hope to come up with one at the 1500 this weekend.I am so confident that I will get one soon I bought 700 pieces of used brass for $20 yeserday because it was such a good deal i could not pass it up, and I dont evenown a 10 mm yet.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Traded for a G20 SF from another member several months ago. Was not disappointed! I shot several different types of Cor Bon out of it several weeks ago and had a HUGE smile of my face! So far I get the best group out of 165 Gr. Will try 200 Gr rounds soon.

Top Bottom