• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Hey all. I am looking at purchasing a 10mm and after all my looking into them I think I have decided on the G29. I plan on spending no more then 700...which makes the g29 even more attractive, but am just curious about any experience you have had with the round and if you have a preference in a different maker. Also, for those who EDC with it what are you suggestions for target ammo and personal protection rounds? TIA.

:ingo:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I have a colt delta elite. It's a 1911 style pistol and is dead on accurate. Truly a joy to shoot. I think you could probably find one in your price range.

2Q==

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I haven't seen many Deltas under $700, at least not in decent condition.

Glock 20 is a great gun, and I certainly miss mine. Yes, I did carry it, no it wasn't too big. Doubletap 180gr JHPs for carry, my own reloads for practice. That comes in well under $700, even brand spankin new.

The EAA Witness 10mm are nice as well, but have heard they don't stand up as well to full house 10mm. That's hearsay, of course, I've never owned one personally.

If you own a 10mm, you really, really, really, really should be a reloader.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have the G20 and the 29, both get carried depending on my mood and dress. You should be able to find them used for around $500 if you're not eligible for the public safety discount (LE/fire/ems/mil).

The 10mm is a great round for a lot of reasons and is a reloader's dream.

For self defense I would use Winchester Silvertips or one of Hornaday's rounds, but I personally avoid Doubletap like the plague they are for reasons I outline in this thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...caution_if_you_have_10mm_from_double_tap.html

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I had bought my stash from them a few years back, before all the problems started coming up. But I wouldn't buy from them again having read that.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I have a g29, its my go to cc pistol. I do recommend pinky extensions on the mags tho. For self defense i use Federal Premium Personal defense. They are 180 gr hydra shock jhp. I personally love 10mm auto.
    I got the g29 new for 585 after tax in December.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I personally would love to pick up a S&W 1006. I've been well impressed with the robustness and build quality of the 4006 I bought long ago. For that matter, does anyone know if the 4006 can be converted to 10mm? If any pistol could withstand the conversion, I'd think it'd be the one...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have a 20SF and it's my baby. I absolutely love the fact that I can go to the range and fire a reliable semi auto pistol that's more powerful than a 357mag. With the pierce grip extensions I've got 17rds of 10mm ready to go and that's quite a party.

I bought my glock new from 21st century for just shy of $500 when they were having a big sale. That was a deal of a lifetime, but it can happen. My only complaint was the flat slide release and I just had a glock armorer put on the glock slide release with the little bump on it so my thumb can actually use it. While he was doing that I also had him put in the 3.5# disconnector. For both of those parts installed was less than $45 I think, I don't really remember. I haven't shot it since the upgrades, but I will be this weekend up at Youngs on sunday.

As far as ammo goes. I'm just going to assume that you already reload, because if you don't the ammo is going to beat up your wallet pretty bad. Most factory ammo out there isn't full power for a 10mm, and in my opinion it's pointless to buy 10mm ammo that isn't at full power or you should have just bought soemthing different. My everything ammo a handloaded 200gr hornady XTP - HP. I trust my ammo for anything I'll ever need it for. Even my handloaded isn't cheap, but the 10mm isn't for people who want a cheap pistol to shoot, it's for people who want their bullet to be able to knock the hell out of something. If you want to buy a bundle of factory ammo to break in the gun and collect the brass from I'd take a hard look at "Georgia Arms canned heat".

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    Nice post! And great feedback! Been looking at a 10mm Glock for a while now, and learned a few things reading all replies.

By the way, I just checked Davidsnon's and G20's and G29's are both running in the $550 range (so go big or small..., I personally would like to see one in a "compact" frame).

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    I use silvertips for SD can carry and some of my 200gr xtps for everything else. 10mm is great but you almost have to be a reloader to take advantage of it.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I was told today that with a conversion and new barrel I can chamber the G29 in .45acp? Any truth behind it? i loved my g30.

You can go from a 45 to 10mm, but not the other way AFAIK. E.g. put a 10mm conversion in a G21. Something about the breechface size in the 10mms is too small for the 45.

I know KKM makes conversions for the 21 and 30 to go 10mm, but no 45 for the 20/29.

Top Bottom