• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I have been impresses with the 10mm since I have known abot it, I am looking to buy one soon and am wanting some advice,
    what brand type to go with,

Not sure what I will do with it right now , just want one,

I won't carry it ( because of overpenatration risks)

The three I have looked at are the glock 20, a dan wesson 1911 style gun, and a tanfalagio witness hunter in 10mm,

I like the tanfalagio for design, looks, comfort with the grip and it is already set up to accept a mount for optics,

The dan wesson has a great rep, lots of good things have been said over the years about the 1911 design,

and the glock, I have a 19 so it wouldn't be my first glock, virtually indestructable, and with combat accuracy.

thoughts would be appreciated and anyone who shoots 10mm feel free to send me any tips or pointers you deem important.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    10mm is a major re-loading round, I think. If you want to shoot the 10 mm and still have some money, I would recommend a reloading press. Otherwise, ammo is pretty butt ass expensive. Have fun though! :ar15:

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm sure all those are nice, but Colt's reproduction Delta Elite 10mm 1911 should be out around the new year.
    It is supposed to be a limited production run so it will go up in value where those you listed won't.

I got one because of a fascination overe the 10 and searched hard for a good Delta for 2 years.

ALman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    +1 to investing in a reloading press

and

+1 to the soon to be re-introduced Colt Delta Elite

I have had quite a few 1911's - Colt's, SA, ParaOrd and the guns coming out of Colt these days are vey good. FYI - That new Delta Elite is built on the XSE frame and is really sharp. I think m1911.org is where I saw the pics of it.

Good Luck

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I know where a LINB deltal elite is sitting around fort wayne, Is it really a better pistol what will be better on a new one than the originals, and do they have better magazines, I heard the old delta elites had trouble with frames cracking and magazines wearing out,

definatly planning to reload,

ALman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I hadn't heard about the mag problems, but do know that some of the first commercially available ammo as made by Norma back in the mid-80's was very hot by today's standards. My best friend in college bought a Delta in 1987 and we shot some of the Norma ammo thru it - it functioned fine almost every fired case had deformed primers (hot ammo).

The only things you gain with the new Delta Elite over the original is that the XSE frame is relieved with an undercut to allow a higher grip, it has beavertail grip safety, ambidextrous safety, and Novak-style fixed sights in front/rear dovetails.

The original was basically a Series 80 Colt in 10mm with rubber grips, somewhat heavier slide, and a different recoil spring - which brings me to this point. The recoil spring (good condition/correct weight) in the original should probably be swapped out with a 22lb spring - then I would not have any concerns with cracking a frame on a LNIB Colt Delta.

I like the new design (XSE), but it depends on the asking price for the original.

Kevin

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Never heard about mag problems. Wilson Combat makes good magazines and Kimber also has 10mm mags available.

The frame cracking was only in the early ones and it did not affect function whatsoever. It was cracking above the slide stop on the frame so the solution was to get rid of the unneeded metal there, as seen on mine below.
    delta-elite-002.jpg

The new one is going to come with a real beavertail grip safety, novak style sights, the undercut trigger guard, a flat mainspring housing, and a bull barrel and full length guide rod.

I bought mine LNIB for $699, which was a very good buy. Up to $800 would still be a good price.
    I would say the new one will probably be $900-$1000.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    of all the 10mm i've shot, the glock was the most comfortable with full house ammo. the polymer frame flexes and mitigates the recoil impulse. if i were to buy just one, i'd probably go for a 1911.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would be concerned about a Witness tolerating 10mm ammo over the long term.

Another option, and a very, very good one, would be to find a used Smith & Wesson 10XX series gun. The pick of the litter would be a 1076, which was the version adopted by the FBI when the 10mm was new, and it was the gun Smith & Wesson built for them to shoot it. The difference between the 1076 and the 1066 is that the formed has a smooth slide and a frame-mounted decocker like a Sig Sauer. The 1066 is the conventional 3rd Generation Smith & Wesson Pistol with a slide mounted decocker/safety (it looks just like a 4506).

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've got a Glock 20 and give it high marks.

I've shot everything from weaker loads all the way up to hot loaded Doubletap ammo and the Glock 20 is easy to shoot. Recoil, to me, is not much stronger than .45 ACP.

The 10mm is such a versatile round. It can be loaded down or hot depending on your needs.

Check out Doubletap's website.
    Doubletapammo Shop

Check out the ballistics on the 165 grain Speer Gold Dot:
    Ballistics : 165gr. @ 1400fps/ 718ft/lbs- Glock 20:ar15:

Again, I love my G20 and the 10mm round.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    10mm is a major re-loading round, I think. If you want to shoot the 10 mm and still have some money, I would recommend a reloading press. Otherwise, ammo is pretty butt ass expensive. Have fun though! :ar15:

Good advice here. Reloading is the way to go. You will pay for you equipment in no time at all. If you dont hand load and want learn email me I can help.

Personally I have gotten rid of all calibers other than 9mm, and I carry and practice with all of them. If it were me I would buy a back up 19, off paper more ammo.

I know it will take 2 of my 9mm rnds to kill a zombie vs 1 10mm rnd :D

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have shot two EAA witnesses in 10mm, both with the steel frame. I have no concerns about them tolerating the 10mm and their accuracy was excellent.

I reload the 10mm, it is the only auto pistol round that I have ever reloaded, although I have been reloading other calibers for 33 years. I definitely recommend reloading the 10mm, it is very expensive to buy the ammo commercially.

Terry

USPSA_10mm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Plainfield IN
    I have shot just about every one you mention. I carry a Glock 29 with Glock 20 mags with 5 round extensions as backups. I also shoot it in limited class in USPSA. The polymer grips soak up a good bit of recoil impulse. Powder is cheap compared to lead, so I load them full power (180-210 power factor) and boy is it fun. You should see the powder burns on close targets. Pasters go everywhere, and I get dirty looks by the volunteers who paste the targets. :whistle:

The Witness imported by EAACorp.com was nice with the CZ like design. Very rugged, but the machining was rough. For the price it seemed like a good buy. I had one of their Astra A-100's for a while. I have a stainless Colt Delta Elite that has only given me problems with semi-wadcutters. I did increase the recoil spring weight (22-24#? I can't remember but it is tough for some to pull the slide back) The S&W 610 revolver, even with a 4" barrel is tough to conceal. I have not had much of a problem with recoil. The only pistol I don't like to shoot are those crazy light scandium S&W .357 mag snubbies with full house loads. Man they sting. :stretcher:

As a note on over penetration, the 41 magnum was introduced to help penetration in the police work. The 10mm was developed to have "optimal" penetration under a variety of circumstances. My opinion is that the round is well designed and the first release platform (Bren Ten) was the downfall of the 10mm. The 40 short and weak is a response to (IMHO) recoil sensative administrative personal who were forced to carry. My wife does just fine with it. It and the 38 super are very popular in countries that outlaw cartridges that are used by police/military (Latin America?)

But, carry what you are comfortable with. The standard (Winchester etc.) factor loads are very similar to a .40S&W if you would like a dual purpose sidearm and are concerned with penetration. Some one else mentioned doubletap ammo. I have heard good things about Buffalo Bore ammo too.

Either way, it is a very flexible cartridge and I agree that reloading is definitely economically helpful. With the stocks like they are, I am investing in precision metals: lead and brass!

Gee, long winded...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    . . . I also shoot it in limited class in USPSA. The polymer grips soak up a good bit of recoil impulse. Powder is cheap compared to lead, so I load them full power (180-210 power factor) and boy is it fun. You should see the powder burns on close targets. Pasters go everywhere, and I get dirty looks by the volunteers who paste the targets. :whistle:

Dude ... did you know you've been checking the minor power factor box on your scoresheet at the USPSA matches at RileyCC?? Since I've never squadded with you, I figured you must be shooting a 9mm Glock since you declared minor!

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you're not shy about wheelguns, you might try and find a S&W 610. The big N-frame soaks up a lot of recoil. The GREAT thing about that gun is that since it is a moonclip gun, you can also shoot the cheaper 40S&W round. Kinda like shooting 357Mag/38Special in L-frame.

USPSA_10mm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Plainfield IN
    Dude ... did you know you've been checking the minor power factor box on your scoresheet at the USPSA matches at RileyCC?? Since I've never squadded with you, I figured you must be shooting a 9mm Glock since you declared minor!

Umm... Yeah well, I could see my college edu-macated self mixing up my wife's rounds and with mine and get to running my mouth and somehow stick a 9mm in a 10mm mag... It will chamber, and fire, and almost eject, and scare the crap out of the RO. I have seen a .40 turn into an inaccurate bolt action 9mm. Extremely funny, but not good for your score. So, when the kids are with us I like to preempt my own stupidity and carry all the same ammo. Plus I can't get enough of an allowance advance from my wife to buy bullets this year. Maye next year...

USPSA_10mm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Plainfield IN
    I'm in the air at current, I am looking at a glock 20c and a Dan Wesson in 10 mm,
    STEYR ARMS INC.: Welcome to STEYR ARMS Inc.

Jeremiah, guess it come down to having 15 rounds and a little less accuracy or 8 rounds and a little more accuracy... I'd like a Dan Wesson, mainly because I already have the Glock 29... It I were hunting hogs, I might lean towards the extra rounds. Deer, maybe the 1911. Either way, enjoy!

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm a 10mm geek of sorts and own several-

SA Omega
    SA Linkless 10
    Colt Delta Elite
    Colt Delta Gold Cup
    Para P-16/40 converted to 10mm
    Glock 20/29
    and 2 custom Caspian Commander sized carry pieces.

I reload but carry Winchester Silvertip (stupid accurate).

I have personally seen 4 EAA Witness 10's with either cracked frames and/or slides. All 4 were running both factory wimp loads and Double Tap ammo. This caused me to sell both of mine, sad, because they were both very accurate.

I would recommend the Glock to any new 10mm shooters. Very accurate and easy to shoot.

Top Bottom