• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deanwirth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    I'm becoming more and more interested in this caliber, mainly for the ballistics of the round, but ill never make up my mind until I shoot one. I've never ran into anyone to anyone at the range with one. Anyone have any experience?

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    I have always heard that the 10mm and the .40 S&W were comparable. I purchesd a Baretta Vertec in .40 S&W because I was told that the 10mm was becoming rare.
    Is there any truth to this?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have always heard that the 10mm and the .40 S&W were comparable. I purchesd a Baretta Vertec in .40 S&W because I was told that the 10mm was becoming rare.
    Is there any truth to this?

None whatsoever.

Even the watered down 10mm run about 550ft-lbs energy and the hot rounds can go as high as 900 ft-lbs, though most SD loadings run 650-750ft-lbs.

.40S&W is typically 400-450ft-lbs for SD loadings. 50% more energy. More energy than a .357mag but in an autoloader.

As far as rare goes, it's actually enjoying a revival as people have discovered it not only as a hunting round, but potent SD round as well, and it has some of the most flexibility of any autoloader cartridge out there. I've been a fan since it was introduced and there was the dark days in the 90s where it almost died out, but in the last decade it has become even more popular than when it was introduced.

It'll never be mainstream and if you only go to Walmart to buy a box of ammo at a time you'll never be happy, but for the shooter who appreciates versatility and power it's a great round and it reloads for the same cost as the .40s&w.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have several pistols and revolvers in 10mm and love em all. The 40 S&W was developed from the 10mm and I look at it like the 38 Special to 357 Magnum. Tens are not everywhere but I think there might be a small resurgence going on. Most of the people that try mine like them but some don't like the recoil. If you ever wanna meet up in Indy you can try a couple of my 10s. :yesway:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Full power 10mm is a great caliber and a great gun to use. I had a G20SF and it was a great gun, but the downfall is that I couldn't hunt with it in this state and I didn't need it for bear protection when hiking. Basically the 10mm is great if you can justify a use for it, otherwise it's just a very expensive way to shoot targets.

After a lot of ammo and good times I ended up selling my G20SF and went back to 9mm's when I saw that factory ammo back at $10 per 50 and under. I don't have the time to spend reloading pistol rounds that shoot less than 100 yards when I can get factory ammo that works just fine at that cheaper price point.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    There is a school of thought (I attend some times) that the 10mm is an ideal keep-in-the-car-gun. If you ever have to do armed battle between (or with) a car a big heavy bonded 10mm bullet has some positive features.

I'm more likely to face an angry Honda than I am an angry Kodiak.

Full power 10mm is a great caliber and a great gun to use. I had a G20SF and it was a great gun, but the downfall is that I couldn't hunt with it in this state and I didn't need it for bear protection when hiking. Basically the 10mm is great if you can justify a use for it, otherwise it's just a very expensive way to shoot targets.

After a lot of ammo and good times I ended up selling my G20SF and went back to 9mm's when I saw that factory ammo back at $10 per 50 and under. I don't have the time to spend reloading pistol rounds that shoot less than 100 yards when I can get factory ammo that works just fine at that cheaper price point.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    There is a school of thought (I attend some times) that the 10mm is an ideal keep-in-the-car-gun. If you ever have to do armed battle between (or with) a car a big heavy bonded 10mm bullet has some positive features.

I'm more likely to face an angry Honda than I am an angry Kodiak.

I don't have a doubt in the 10mm's abilities and all I'd need for an excuse is Indiana to allow it for deer hunting and I'd buy another G20SF without thinking twice. In my situation even reloading with a 550B is hard to find time for with such a young family, so the time I spent reloading 10mm was replaced by getting online and buying a case of 9mm for under the $10 per 50 range. I wouldn't try to compare those two power wise in any case, but I'll say I can shoot a 9mm better than a 10mm. I can enjoy the time more, and it costs less. Those are the only reasons I jumped off the bandwagon. Car battles shouldn't be fought. If the car can be driven away it should be, if the car is out of commission then their should be a rifle in the trunk. At least those are my thoughts.

deanwirth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    Many valid points made in this thread and I do agree with most. I normally carry concealed but when hiking and hunting id like to have something dependable and powerful. I've looked at the g20sf a lot and love the capacity and style, bit I havent held one yet. If I can make it to indy I will definitely be in contact for some range time.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Many valid points made in this thread and I do agree with most. I normally carry concealed but when hiking and hunting id like to have something dependable and powerful. I've looked at the g20sf a lot and love the capacity and style, bit I havent held one yet. If I can make it to indy I will definitely be in contact for some range time.

Keep in mind that the G20 mags can get a +2 extension put on them. It's just another bonus in the pro 10mm column.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I also was looking at the eaa witness. I'm a 1911 fan. Anyone have anything to say for those?

Yeah. It's not my favorite 10mm. I own one because I am working on owning every production pistol in 10mm. I also own the Colt Delta Elite. I like it better than the Witness, but My G20 and G29 are my hands down favorites.

FWIW, you can get a .40s&w barrel for the G20 and 29 and then you have the ultimate in versatility.

deanwirth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    Ive held the Delta Elite, which I loved and it fit. Also, judging only by youtube, the witness seems to have too much recoil kickback. But you just never know until you handle it. Thats why Im trying to get some feedback.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    In 10mm I have a Colt Delta Gold Cup, Colt Delta Elite, Fusion Bob Tail Commander (with a 40S&W conversion and saving for a 357Sig conversion), Witness, S&W 610 and Ruger Blackhawk 10mm/38-40. My buddy has a Witness full size and a Compact in 10mm. I like em all. The revolvers can handle a variety of loads plus 40 S&W and the Autos can be made multi cal with the purchase of bbls and springs. I'd like a 10mm AR Carbine too someday. I like the Witness line of pistols since I have a few CZ75s and they are a spin off of that platform.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I too have drank the 10mm kool-aid and I love it!

Got a G20SF, picked up a KKM 40S&W barrel, a handful of mags, and found Georgia Arms for decent ammo until I can get into reloading.

I'm all set, I do love me some 10mm!

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I am moving to bear country so I will just Have to have one! I already reload .40 so no big change there. I will go for the G20. As I like the versatility. But I am glad to hear that a .40 barrel set up can be had for it.

Top Bottom