• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    So I just bought a used Rem 1100 Magnum. I am completely new to shotguns so I'm practicing loading/unloading. I have loading down with no problems. But when I pull the breech bolt to eject the rounds, the round catches on the carrier latch.
    Could it be that I'm not pulling the bolt hard/quickly enough? OR could this be a gun problem?
    Would I most likely see this when shooting or could this possibly be something that can flush out in use....?

Thoughts??

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    The shell carrier could be bent or the shell catches could be either loose or bent. To see if the shell is slipping past the catches or catching on the carrier, turn the shotgun upside down and run the bolt. You should be able to see what is happening. I highly recommend doing this with dummy rounds or snap caps as the shotgun will be hard to hold.

You can adjust the carrier up with finger pressure or down with a flat head screwdriver. It only take very minor adjustments.

If the shell catches are loose or bent, you will need a shell catch staking tool to reinstall them properly. I would have someone with the proper tools complete this repair.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    You're the small framed girl who was asking for recommendations for a home defense shotgun weren't you?

If so than my guess is you're probably not "man-handling" the bolt hard enough, really give it a good, solid, quick yank and see if the shells come out cleanly.

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    lol...ya, i'm that scrawny chick!
    it works when i only load 3 total....when I load 4+1 like the instructions say is when it won't eject them....
    then someone else told me it is only designed to hold 3 total....
    Confused now :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    It might have a plug in the magazine to reduce the number of rounds it holds for duck hunting. What color is the follower in the mag tube? If its black that is the follower, if its anothe color like green then it has a plug.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    My 1100's wont shuck em out when you manipulate the bolt by hand...I pull it back and lock it, then just pull out the one in line with the bore, push up the next, lower the bolt by hand and repeat....

It is nothing to fret over, think about when you pull the slide back on a pistol to clear the chamber...they don't always come screamin out of there...but when you shoot it comes out fine right?

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    The shell carrier could be bent or the shell catches could be either loose or bent.

You can adjust the carrier up with finger pressure or down with a flat head screwdriver. It only take very minor adjustments.
    MK, you were right about this...I wound up calling Remington and they said the exact same thing. They didn't think it was a bolt or chamber issue. They said if 2 rounds were coming out when i depressed the carrier assembly that would be a bolt or chamber spring issue.....

The issue I had was that the carrier spring (all part of trigger assembly) seems to have worn down as the 1100 is from 1978..... the easiest fix was that I wound up buying a new trigger assembly because repair of the old assembly equaled out to the cost of just buying a new one. I'm not sure my 1100 is still all original parts anyway. I forgot to ask that when i called.....should get the new part soon and be back in business soon! :D
    Total cost of new part plus shipping and tax and a new pin to hold assembly in place = $120.00. With the $250 price tag, I still think it was a good deal.

oh, and I couldn't adjust the carrier latch even with screw driver or just by bending it.....

Top Bottom