• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I just want to pass on a tip I found on Accurate Shooter.
    You can make cases from 45-70 brass by turning a steel rod down to .460 and then running it into the 45-70 case to expand the base.
    It works great and I have not had a case failure yet. I have loaded some cases 8 times, no problem. I used to have case splits at 2 or 3 loadings.You still have to turn down the rim for the 11mm or 43 mauser but the rim works OK for the 43 spanish in my Rem. rolling block. The cases are shorter than the original but that has been no problem except for crimping and I cut down the seating and crimping die to handle that.
    Good shooting.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've heard of people doing that. Glad to hear you are having success.

It used to be common to make it from .348 Winchester brass, but that stuff is about as scarce as the 11mm Mauser cartridges.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    So by pushing the rod into the case, you swell the OD ? Why not just fire form?

I'm probably understanding this wrong but I'm quite curious.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I had a 71/84 Mauser years ago. Luckily Lee dies we’re readily available and I had a small number of older cases. I picked up some 45/90 brass from starline to try out. I didn’t have a lathe yet, so I chucked the cases up in my drill press and filed a bevel to the case head to simulate the odd concave curve of the original brass. As asked above, I just fire formed them and didn’t have any issues. I loaded them with black powder and they worked pretty well. Wish I still had that old beast, it was impressive!

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    New 45-70 brass is a lot tougher and will not fire-form at the low pressure of these rounds but will bulge out one side or the other and cause case splits. I would only get a couple loadings before a split, usually about halfway down the case. I am loading smokeless with 5744

Top Bottom