• ...and so much more!
  • HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    They were by far the Greatest generation!! it is great to see that the grand kids of the men that fought in WWII still carry that Gene, God bless all our service men and women past and present!!

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    68 years ago today, the Japanese launched their sneak attack on Hawaii and our military bases there. Over 2,000 of our young men were killed. Soon thereafter my Dad and three of his brothers left their mountain home and signed up to serve their country.

My Dad got to go fight the Japs in MacArthur's Army in the South Pacific. He received a Purple Heart. He always hated the Japanese the rest of his life but developed a great love for the Filipinos. He told me his Captain had to constantly yell at the troops to stop giving their rations to the kids there who were starving because all of the soldiers were losing weight giving away their food.

Two of the brothers went to Europe to fight the Krauts, both in the Army. One of the Uncles was part of Operation Market Garden and ended up being a POW the rest of the war. He was in the 82nd but ended up attached to the 101st for the operation. His accomodations weren't quite as nice as they show on Hogan's Heroes when the Germans caught him. Dad said he was never the same the rest of his life.

The one Uncle that joined the Marines never ended up going overseas. My Dad always gave him a hard time about this, joking with him.

Of the four, just one of them is still living. He doesn't mind talking about it now. None of them used to want to talk about the war.

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    It's a good thing my sister's birthday is today otherwise I would never remember it..

Is it bad that I remember Pearl Harbor Day before my families birthdays??

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I was wondering if anyone else would remember today, seems to many don't anymore, my father was a WW2 vet and Korea, stuck at chosa river when the reds jumped in, he never talked about any of it till the last few years of his life. I was navy corpman, navy/marine simperfi, my son is army active duty major, tours in afg. and irag, and so it goes on as it should from father to son, he also remembers this date as he was taught from a early age. Long live veterans from all walks of life

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    I always remember this date along with 9-11-2001, another date that "should live in infamy." 9/11 Should have been my generations call to action and created the next "greatest generation" but instead it has created a political divide that hopefully will not take another World War to heal.

Ter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Pekin / Washington Co.
    arizona-02.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've been fortunate enough to visit the memorial at Pearl Harbor. Those that have been there understand the range of emotion one feels standing there, looking at the bubbles of oil still seeping from the Arizona's fuel tanks. :patriot:

What is disapointing is the relative lack of any media coverage today regarding the 68th anniversary of this attack. I wonder if in 2069 (68 years after 9-11-01) we will no longer discuss the attacks on the WTC, Pentagon, and PA?

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    I was there for the 50th although not in Dec. and it is amazing to see the oil and think of those trapped in both the Arizona and Oaklahoma

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I was wondering if anyone else would remember today, seems to many don't anymore, my father was a WW2 vet and Korea, stuck at chosa river when the reds jumped in, he never talked about any of it till the last few years of his life. I was navy corpman, navy/marine simperfi, my son is army active duty major, tours in afg. and irag, and so it goes on as it should from father to son, he also remembers this date as he was taught from a early age. Long live veterans from all walks of life

Hard to forget this day for 2 reasons, my father in law was born on this day in 1941 @ 7:30am and @ 7:55am Hawaiian time, my grandfather was a part of a gun crew on the Battleship Nevada. Never got to meet him because he was killed in a auto accident in 1951 when my mother was 12, but do remember reading a letter that he wrote back to my grandma about the attack.

The one real thing I remember in the letter was him saying the amount cheers that went up when they seen the "Ole Girl" making steam and moving before it was beached.

Other than that, mom told me he never really talked much about the attack and what happened during the war, but was proud as h e double hockey sticks that he served in the Navy.

Makes me proud that he was there and survived to extol revenge for a blatant attack, not a day goes by that I look up on our mantel to see his picture. My grandma was so proud of him that he was in the navy that she always wore a sorta navy styled dress on his birthday and wedding aniv. right up till she died in 71. May they both rest in peace together.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    What is disapointing is the relative lack of any media coverage today regarding the 68th anniversary of this attack. I wonder if in 2069 (68 years after 9-11-01) we will no longer discuss the attacks on the WTC, Pentagon, and PA?

I know what you mean. I had an appointment this morning and in the waiting room they had the TVs on CNN. I guess the dude from Weezer being in a bus crash is more important than remembering the Pearl Harbor attack.

Top Bottom