• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I recently had an N-star red dot sight on my Mossberg 500. I use 3in magnum shells, and the poor things lens cracked after the 5th shot. I discontinued its use after that for safety/reliability concerns.

Now, my Mossberg is my home defence gun, and its time to put a reliable optic on her now that I can afford it. Im looking for a red-dot CQB style that dosnt have to be very accurate, just within 25m or so. The major problem I am worried about is if it can take the recoil of the rounds.

I am willing to use an Eo-Tech, but I think this is more then what I require both price and preformance wise. I am interested in a BSA laser/light combo (Seen here: http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?productID=302) but am afraid it won't take the beating as I can't seem to find the raiting for certain calibers, if it exist with these kind of optics.

So any suggestions?

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Trijicon RMR, Dr Optic, or Pride Fowler all make an mini red dot that will work with a 12ga shotgun.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I just ordered the iTac RDS1 from Botach Tactical for my Mossberg 500. Cant tell you anything about it yet as I have not gotten to shoot it yet, but I think it will be pretty good. Maybe someone here has an opinion on it.

(if it works well I may pick up another one for my AR)

iTAC RDS1 Red Dot Sight

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    My Winchester 1300 is outfitted with a Burris Fastfire with the winged mount to protect it from getting banged around. I've had this red dot on it with a rifled slug barrel and it held up just fine with 2 3/4" sabots. It also has a light sensor that adjusts the dot intensity acording to autside light... so the darker it is outside or in your house, the lower the intensity. My Winchester also has a side saddle and Speedfeed full length buttstock with pistol grip and shell holders. I highly recommend both for a HD shotgun. My HD load is 3" #4 buckshot.... works great on coyotes too.

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was also thinking that a scoped version of a CQB sight would be more stable. I mean scoped as in a look of a traditional scope, not to sure what its called. Full body perhaps?

And would anyone know if there is a rating system for an optic that determins the amount of recoil it can withstand?

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Man I got a cheap TruGlo Red Dot from Gander Mountain for $29.99 and after about 200 slugs and 00 Buck it is still on point. Not shooting Magnums though.

Regnar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Knox
    Never have to turn on or have a battery fail on a ghost ring or bead.
    For home defense do you really want to mess with a power switch, and trust in a battery?
    Your life, your call.
    Point and shoot!:twocents:

Top Bottom