• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    My husband and I are planning on expanding into shotguns. He wants to get a 12 gauge, I am concerned it will be too much for me. I have shot 20 gauge in the past but never a 12. I am leaning toward a 20 gauge but am I just being over cautious? I would be interested in your experiences shooting shotguns and your opinion on your preferred gauge.

I will add that I am 5' 10" with medium build so mine is not a size concern, its a bruised shoulder / unpleasant experience concern. We are thinking of using it for sport target and clay shooting.

talderma

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    North East Indy
    My wife is a similar build and is comfortable shooting a 12 Ga. The only thing I did for here was add a cushy slip on butt pad.

Im sure you will get tons of feedback from all kinds here, but all I can say is just go with something that you are/feel comfortable with. The last thing you want to do is shoot a gun that you're not comfortable with.

Enjoy!

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    If you are doing just sport type shooting a 12 will work. Target loads are loaded light and less recoil. But the main thing is does the gun fit you and him? You may lok at a youth model as well.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    I agree with hammer. Reduced and/or light 12 ga loads should be ok. Or if budget allows get one of each. I like 20 for my auto loader and 12 for my pump.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    For what you intend to use it for, my vote is for the 20.

We have a 12g for home defense. All of our other shotgun uses employ the 20. We both can handle the 12 just fine, but we have found that we don't enjoy the extra beating it gives. We tire sooner and feel the consequences of the repeated greater impacts of recoil sooner with the 12g.

I see no reason to use a 12g for fun when a 20g will do the same thing.

That is not to say that there aren't reasons that would make a 12g a better choice. Are you only going to be purchasing one and it has to do double duty? Is there something in your shotgunning experience that the 20 can't do but a 12 can? Or something that the 12 can do better?

All else being equal, for non-defensive purposes, my vote goes to the 20.

Tdcompton

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am comfortable with the 12ga and have been shooting one since I qualified for work the first time... But my personal shotgun is a 20ga.. I'm looking to add a 12ga to my collection but I don't see a reason to blow out my shoulder any quicker than I have to when it comes to hunting season.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    12 GA target loads shouldn't be a problem IF the stock fits you.

For home defense, get Federal reduced (managed?) recoil 00 Buck for 20 GA-like recoil.

I usually recommend the 12 just because ammo is easier to find.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My daughter is 5'9, has no problems with a 20. She has shot my 6.5 Grendels, 308's etc and won't touch my 12 gauge shotguns.

My wife (5'8") used to shoot 12 gauge for Trap shooting & Sporting clays and I realized, too late, that it simply wore her out. It was common for us together to put and easy 500, and often 1000 shells downrange in any given week, but her accuracy and enjoyment seemed to wane as the number of shells increased. She wore out much quicker. It wasn't that she objected to the recoil, that was not the problem, but her stamina under the heavier recoil wore her out quicker.

We now have a 20 for home defense and a 20 O/U for my wife/daughter for Trap.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    20ga is a sweet load.
    I can shoot either 12 or 20 all day long, but at the end of said day you feel the 12 more than the 20. Terminal ballistics are almost identical except for really long ranges. Payload on the 20 is smaller but not enough to make a huge difference. My fiancé will shoot a 20 where she won't even try a 12.
    I love the 20 and I'm honestly surprised its not more popular than it is.

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Lots of good advice, and one that hasn't been mentioned is the "length of pull". I was very surprised at the difference in the way it felt with a junior or compact model compared with a regular length model.

Last summer I was shopping for a 12 or 20 ga and just didn't know which way to go. So at the ingo shoot at winimac several of the members brought 12 ga and I happily got to try them out. (thank you so much) Tho I had a great time shooting them,( the guns, not the guys) and I feel with proper technique, I could learn to use the 12 ga....I opted for the 20 ga compact. The shorter length of pull made all the difference for me having more fun!

So I guess my input would be...shoot several...then decide.

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    If you decide on a 20 ga. remember a number of them don't weight as much as a 12 ga. hence you may have more kick

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My daughter is 5'9, has no problems with a 20. She has shot my 6.5 Grendels, 308's etc and won't touch my 12 gauge shotguns.

My wife (5'8") used to shoot 12 gauge for Trap shooting & Sporting clays and I realized, too late, that it simply wore her out. It was common for us together to put and easy 500, and often 1000 shells downrange in any given week, but her accuracy and enjoyment seemed to wane as the number of shells increased. She wore out much quicker. It wasn't that she objected to the recoil, that was not the problem, but her stamina under the heavier recoil wore her out quicker.

We now have a 20 for home defense and a 20 O/U for my wife/daughter for Trap.

:laugh: The first time I read that I read it as a single person.

beardedbrodel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    West of Indy
    My wife is a bit smaller than you and prefers the 20 GA. She will go out and shoot sporting clays with a 20 GA all day but can really feel it in her shoulder if she shoots my 12 GA.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am a 20 gauge man myself and for HD we keep a Rossi Coach gun loaded with number 3 buckshot. I have a couple of Mossberg 500A's (one with a laser forearm) but I honestly feel more comfortable with the 20 gauge and I am 5' 8" and 170 lbs.

Dove hunting with a Browning Upland Special with a 21 inch barrel in the 80's convinced me of the virtues of the 20 gauge. It took me a year to cure the flinch that dove hunt cause.

Offered IMHO lest my opinion be construed as "testy".

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Thank you everyone. It sounds like a 12 ga is good for HD, but for an afternoon of sport a 20 ga is the way to go.

Sonick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Louisville
    I agree with the folks saying 20 gauge. No need for a 12 gauge for clays anyways in my opinion. The fact that you are on edge is just one more reason to go with a 20.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Thanks Sonick,

We are in the market for a Remington 870 20 ga. I am going to go to the gun show and see what is there. If I do not find a wingmaster I think i will pick up an express at a local shop outside the chaos of the show.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just picked up a 20Ga O/U. Should be fine for skeet as long as I do my part. I have always had 12's, but I am looking forward to this 20. Smaller overall, swings nice, feels good. Can't wait to shoot it!

Top Bottom