• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yoger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    muncie
    My grandfathers single shot 12gauge went through a fire. I live in Muncie i would like to know the closest place where i can take it to be repaired. i would also like to know just about how much it would cost.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    My grandfathers single shot 12gauge went through a fire. I live in Muncie i would like to know the closest place where i can take it to be repaired. i would also like to know just about how much it would cost.

What's wrong with it? How close to the fire was it? How hot was the fire? How long was it on fire? The hea

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...

What's wrong with it? How close to the fire was it? How hot was the fire? How long was it on fire?

yoger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    muncie
    the fire started in the room right next to where the were being kept. all the wood is gone but it seems to still work my dad knows more about it then i do. i don't know to much about guns. dad never had any that worked in the house except for two .22 rifles that he wouldn't let me touch. but now i am 20 years old and he knows i am not going to shoot my self.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    the fire started in the room right next to where the were being kept. all the wood is gone but it seems to still work my dad knows more about it then i do. i don't know to much about guns. dad never had any that worked in the house except for two .22 rifles that he wouldn't let me touch. but now i am 20 years old and he knows i am not going to shoot my self.

If the fire was intense and you want to restore the shotgun into shooting condition, I'd be wary of the metal losing it's heat treating.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Can a firearm be retreated? If one did lose its temper but not misshaped, would that treatment mentioned on another thread to strengthen mini 14 barrels bring it back?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Can a firearm be retreated? If one did lose its temper but not misshaped, would that treatment mentioned on another thread to strengthen mini 14 barrels bring it back?

Not sure what treatment you speak of. I'm not an expert and don't plan on acting like one, but I'd think once it lost it's heat treat you couldn't get it back and you shouldn't fire it. However, your mileage will vary.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    Going thru a fire hot enough to burn the wood off would have took all the original temper out of the steel(only takes around 250 degrees for 30 minutes or so), and most likely warped a few parts. There is a slim chance someone could take it completly apart and re-heat treat each part back to its original specs. But that would be a time consuming and expensive adventure even if it could be done. If you could find a replacement stock and forend, you could remove the firing pin(so no one would try to fire it) and re-blue it and make a wallhanger out of it. But it its current condiction i would NOT TRY TO SHOOT it.

yoger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    muncie
    Going thru a fire hot enough to burn the wood off would have took all the original temper out of the steel(only takes around 250 degrees for 30 minutes or so), and most likely warped a few parts. There is a slim chance someone could take it completly apart and re-heat treat each part back to its original specs. But that would be a time consuming and expensive adventure even if it could be done. If you could find a replacement stock and forend, you could remove the firing pin(so no one would try to fire it) and re-blue it and make a wallhanger out of it. But it its current condiction i would NOT TRY TO SHOOT it.
    thank you i think thats what we will do.

yoger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    muncie
    How much would a new stock and forend cost. I talked to my father and found out he had it re-blued. All it needs is the firing pin removed and a stock and forend.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I would take it to a gunsmith and have in inspected. I have my Dads double barrel Savage Fox, it went through a fire also, but nowhere as bad as yours. On mine the wood was smoke damaged and the blueing was shot from the heat and water. I had it looked at and reblued and it shoots fine.
    As for the stock and forearm look at www.e-gunparts.com

Top Bottom