• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D ReedSniper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    The 12 Gauge definitely packs the bigger punch. When the SHTF, I am predicting that 12 Gauge shells will be much easier to find than 20 Gauge, unless everyone else has my way of thinking, then the 12's are gone and people left the 20's alone.

Let's say that you are on the move, and come upon a group of hostiles. Since we are INGOer's :D , we shouldn't have a problem. We should expect at least one to have a shotgun, with other rifles and pistols. Unless they are a group of skinny pu***es, we should expect them to be firing 12 gauge, correct? What I am getting at, is that 12 gauge is more prevalent than 20 gauge?

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Id recomend figuring out what youre planning on using and purchase all of your ammo ahead of time. Shotgun shells arent too expensive, even 12 ga. If i had to guess though, id say you would be able find more 12 than 20 ga. lying around. And on the flip side, if you run out of ammo and the "bad guy" had something other than what you shoot, ill bet you there is a weapon in close proximity that will shoot that ammo. :ar15:

D ReedSniper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Id recomend figuring out what youre planning on using and purchase all of your ammo ahead of time. Shotgun shells arent too expensive, even 12 ga. If i had to guess though, id say you would be able find more 12 than 20 ga. lying around. And on the flip side, if you run out of ammo and the "bad guy" had something other than what you shoot, ill bet you there is a weapon in close proximity that will shoot that ammo. :ar15:

Buying ahead of time would be the best bet. Well, whatever the bad guys had, I would definitely take it and use it to trade :D

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    Ammo is often heavy when talking about 12 and 20 gauge but that is weight that I dont mind to carry especially if I can use it in my firearms or for trade.

ray d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Go with the 12 gauge buy a cheap Lee load all and you will never run out of ammo.The good thing about shot guns is they can stoot anything you can fit in the shell from bird shot to rocks from the driveway.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Go with the 12 gauge buy a cheap Lee load all and you will never run out of ammo.The good thing about shot guns is they can stoot anything you can fit in the shell from bird shot to rocks from the driveway.

PLEASE MAKE A YOUTUBE VIDEO!

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I have decided to buy a Saiga semi auto shotgun. But can't decide between the 20 or 12 gauge. 20 gauge ammo is cheaper, which means I can shoot more, gun is lighter to carry, less recoil. But for SHTF 12 gauge is probably a better overall choice.

Or is it? I can't make up my mind, wish I could afford both...

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I've been doing alot of thinking and a lot of research....... A shotgun was some pretty weight to it. As well as the ammo.

Now imagine a shotgun with a full barrel of shotgun ammo= more weight.

For a SHTF, a simple 5.56/223 rifle and a few mags would be lighter than a shotgun.

If you're using slug rounds, depending on your rifle, you can get some good distance.

Given it some thought, i will add a shotgun to my SHTF stock. Just because it has tremendous stopping power at close range, giving it a :+1: for close range.

With some practice, you can use it to hunt deer using 00 buck or slugs.

Would i use it for home protection? Probably- but the range is limited for bird shot. For 00 buck or slug shells, practice might help. But i'd rather have a simple rifle for long distance protection.

Also, you have the challenge of
    Pump or Semi?

If you're wounded, a pump might be tricky to operate (if you get shot in the arm). Semi.....from what i've read, it needs more cleaning (Specially after shooting) because it's gas operated.

:twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    12ga - based on ammo availability. I may reconsider if my plans required a long distance of foot travel. If so, I would probably consider just an AR

D ReedSniper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    12 is what I am greatly considering.

My father has an older 20 gauge single-shot from Brazil. Last week, I took it outside and put up a gallon jug between 50-60 yards. I was using bird shot. I was surprised when I was able to keep knocking the jug around the yard at that distance :)

It all depends on the stopping power you want.

D ReedSniper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Ammo is often heavy when talking about 12 and 20 gauge but that is weight that I dont mind to carry especially if I can use it in my firearms or for trade.

Defnitely!! I would not mind the weight at all, especially if you don't travel alone. Diversity within the group will save you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    12 Gauge pump guns are reasonably priced and run with out much worry. Ammo is available everywhere and it will knock the crap out of anything you hit with it.
    20's are OK but not plentiful, ammo is not as easy to find and so on. They also do not pack the total smack down of a 12.
    JMHO

Last edited:

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    4 gauge? :ar15:

r7583_shotgun.jpg

Top Bottom