• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    While I have no fear of recoil, why bother? What are the pros and cons of 12 vs 20? Please believe, I have no dog in this fight, just looking for cold, hard analysis of why to choose one over the other.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You can load down a 12 to 20 gauge levels but you can't load up a 20 to 12 gauge levels.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    While I have no fear of recoil, why bother? What are the pros and cons of 12 vs 20? Please believe, I have no dog in this fight, just looking for cold, hard analysis of why to choose one over the other.
    I think it would depend on what the gun was being used for.

I don't have cold, hard facts...but for close quarter home defense...I would think a 20 ga. with 00 buckshot would do it's job well enough. Of course the 12 ga. would do it better. But if I found a 20 ga. for a good price I wouldn't be worried about the step-down. :twocents:

Hunting...I'd stick with the 12 ga. Although I like hunting squirrel and rabbit with a .410. And .410 slugs are a blast to shoot.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I started my son out when he was just a lil' tot with a .410 bolt shotgun thats a family handdown, Grandpa bought 'em for his sons/ sons in-laws....

Then I bought him a Rem 870 20 ga. combo when he passed the Hunter Safety Course at age 10.... he has since moved on to a 12ga, but the 20s do have a place. Lighter recoil, sometimes a smaller length of pull and they come in very handy for rabbit and squirrel hunting.

But if you are comfortable with a 12ga, then thats the one to go with, longer range and harder hitting on deer, shells priced about the same or sometimes cheaper than 20s......

My :twocents:,

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    you gave no action preference or purpose, Here's how I answered your question,

I have a 12ga Over under and then I bought a set of Briley 20ga tubes, now for everything but a combat course I have the gauge I need,

I shoot 20 ga for trap/skeet and then pull the tubes to go to 12 ga and I can put a set of camo covers and go turkey and deer hunting,

Not the cheapest way but a very flexible setup

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I don't have cold, hard facts...but for close quarter home defense...I would think a 20 ga. with 00 buckshot would do it's job well enough.

FYI- From what I've seen, 20 ga. only goes up to 2 buckshot and that only in 3" shells. 2.75" shells are limited to 3 buckshot. This is actually a very good compromise load for minimizing wall penetration.

Last edited:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    FYI- From what I've seen, 20 ga. only goes up to 2 buckshot and that only in 3" shells. 2.75" shells are limited to 3 buckshot. This is actually a very good compromise load for minimizing wall penetration.
    Thanks for setting me straight. I've never purchased any so I didn't really know. Makes sense though...a little less diameter means more shot in a smaller shell. :cheers:

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    For hunting small game and upland birds I prefer the 20ga for its manuverability, light weight, and less damage to the game. For waterfowl, turkey, HD and just about everything else I like the 12ga for its power and versatility.

friedmarlin5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    I agree with all the comments about knowing what you're going to use it for.

I have an old Rem 870 20 ga that is the sweetest rabbit gun I have ever carried. It is light, accurate, and doesn't turn n itty bitty rabbit into just a puff of fur and guts.

I won't deer hunt with anything but my 12 ga. I want knockdown power !!!! Yes a 20 ga. may be enough at very close range but remember that having too little is the same as not having any at all. I have hunted with many people using 20 ga's that got good shoots on a deer but they couldn't find them because them because the deer didn't drop soon enough, etc. Bigger holes = bigger blood droplets.

I prefer a handgun for self-defense in close areas like a home.

Good luck.

Top Bottom