• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Looking for a recipe for 125 grain plated bullet in .38 Special . I have green dot and unique... I have to save one or the other for 9mm.
    Any ideas, or sources are welcome.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Looking for a recipe for 125 grain plated bullet in .38 Special . I have green dot and unique... I have to save one or the other for 9mm.
    Any ideas, or sources are welcome.
    Also that picture I posted is maximum charge. You need to back off by at least 10% to start.
    Like I said dl the pdf manual and read it.
    Unless it says DNR = do not reduce

Screenshot_20240329-222106_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Unique is just a little slower than Win 231 and basically the same as Hodgdon Universal. Hodgdon's website has data for both. Use your educated judgement to interpolate data.

That Green dot would be good for snubbys since it's so fast. What are you shooting it out of?

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I've only done Unique once with some gray beard teaching me how to load, we did 4.7grs but that was for a 140gr bullet. I do 4.3grs of Titegroup for copper plated 125grs, and I will say do not reduce anything listed on the Hodgdon Data listed online. I had to pound a squib out of an old Model 10.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Unique is just a little slower than Win 231 and basically the same as Hodgdon Universal. Hodgdon's website has data for both. Use your educated judgement to interpolate data.

That Green dot would be good for snubbys since it's so fast. What are you shooting it out of?
    I'm loading Unique in the.38s . I've loaded green dot in 38s , easy on the wrist,but I'm looking for a little more umph.. I'm thinking that the green dot will be a better fit in the 9mm. Any experience with that?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I know that these days we need to load with what we have and what we can get. I liked the performance of Unique clear back when it was Hercules, but it was hard to get those big flakes to meter well for target pistol application. I never liked the performance Green dot in pistols, but it works great for 12 gauge field loads and 20 gauge loads.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I know that these days we need to load with what we have and what we can get. I liked the performance of Unique clear back when it was Hercules, but it was hard to get those big flakes to meter well for target pistol application. I never liked the performance Green dot in pistols, but it works great for 12 gauge field loads and 20 gauge loads.
    I have loaded green dot in small handgun rounds for years, mostly 38s... Very light light recoil, and they're accurate enough to hit my 11x14 ringers at 100 yards. As long as they function the gun, I'll probably use them in the 9mm. I will be test firing those before I go berserk on the progressive press... I don't want to have to deconstruct 2500 cartridges...

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have loaded green dot in small handgun rounds for years, mostly 38s... Very light light recoil, and they're accurate enough to hit my 11x14 ringers at 100 yards. As long as they function the gun, I'll probably use them in the 9mm. I will be test firing those before I go berserk on the progressive press... I don't want to have to deconstruct 2500 cartridges...
    That is good to know, When I still used Green Dot in the 20 Gauge, it was cheap and easy to get so many other pistol powders, so I did not try very hard find a good load. Especially because of lead shot restrictions over waterways, I now buy all my hunting shot shells, so I never bought anymore Green Dot

I agree with you, test them a bunch before you fire up the mass production machine.

Top Bottom