• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking to try a bottle of 125 proof bourbon.
    What are some good reasonably priced brands?

I see Bookers, by Jim Beam bottled straight from the barrel for example.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Buffalo Trace Antique Collection should be coming out soon. Some of the best Bourbons made each year. If you can get your hands on a Weller or a Stagg you will not be disapointed.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Is this for something right now because in the coming months Four Roses will be releasing their Small batch which is also usually really good. Bookers is a good pour just not to the caliber of those coming in the months ahead.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bought a bottle of Bookers at a local place.
    The bottle I got is 7 years old, 127.4 Proof straight out of the barrel.
    Will open it when I get up to my NW Wisconsin cabin on vacation in a couple of days.

This will be my first experience with barrel whiskey since the late 1970's.
    I guy I know had a friend who worked at a whiskey distillery (I forget which one), and they would take home samples of it straight from the barrel.

He gave my friend a Groelsh (sp?) beer bottle with the re-closeable top full of barrel whiskey.

I remember taking a couple of glugs out of it NOT knowing what it was. (I was a kid in my early 20's then)
    It boiled in my stomach for a few minutes and I puked it back up.

The guy who gave it to me was laughing and told me what it was.
    I'd never heard of barrel whiskey before then.
    It SURE kicked my *ss! :laugh:

I think I'll sip this bottle of Bookers a little more slowly...:)

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    You should check out the George T Stagg (if your local store can get it). It's comes in a little higher than the 125 proof (140+), but damn is it tasty!
    Should be out soon, which reminds me I need to go talk to my guy about getting my bottle for the year.

Udderchaos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    NW Indy
    Bookers is my son's favorite. I'm a Maker's Mark Ambassador, and a little partial. Wifey and I went on the Bourbon Trail in June. There was a high proof bourbon we had that was smooth. Can't remember which one it was. Same distiller as Booker's and Fighting Cock.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    You should check out the George T Stagg (if your local store can get it). It's comes in a little higher than the 125 proof (140+), but damn is it tasty!
    Should be out soon, which reminds me I need to go talk to my guy about getting my bottle for the year.

Depending on where you live it may be too late, I know Louisville area already sold their allocation, I have heard Indy has as well, I am stalking my stores down here daily, Also waiting for the Pappy fall allocation. This time of year is hard on my wallet but it all lasts all year plus.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Depending on where you live it may be too late, I know Louisville area already sold their allocation, I have heard Indy has as well, I am stalking my stores down here daily, Also waiting for the Pappy fall allocation. This time of year is hard on my wallet but it all lasts all year plus.

Hmmm, I better get over to the store today then. I seem to remember getting it more toward Thanksgiving in the past.

Oh the Pappy, I have yearned for a bottle of the 23 year, some day it shall be mine, oh yes, it shall be mine.

Top Bottom