• ...and so much more!
  • Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Hello, I have probably 4-6000 12 shotgun hulls stored away in the garage from trap shooting. I'd say 90% of them are remington gun clubs, 12g low brass. May just sell them to get them out of the way. ANy ideas as to what these would be worth? Thanks in advance ;)

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    looking on-line, once-fired hulls are about $10/100 -- if these have only been fired once, then I'll give you $100.00 for 2, 5-gallon buckets full (about 550-600 per bucket) -- Greg/Gizhicks

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have bought and sold many over the years. Rem STS, or Rem Nitro 27's, Winchester AA or AA Handicap bring 4 or 5 cents each by the 1000. Federal Gold medals bring 3 or 4 cents, Gunclubs bring about 2 or 3 cents each by the 1000. Trapshooters.com has a "Want to Sell" catagory.

You might want to save a couple 1000 back for yourself if shotshells get as hard to get as .22 rimfire.

Good Luck

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have bought and sold many over the years. Rem STS, or Rem Nitro 27's, Winchester AA or AA Handicap bring 4 or 5 cents each by the 1000. Federal Gold medals bring 3 or 4 cents, Gunclubs bring about 2 or 3 cents each by the 1000. Trapshooters.com has a "Want to Sell" catagory.

You might want to save a couple 1000 back for yourself if shoshells get as hard to get as .22 rimfire.

Good Luck
    I agree. I just bought a hundred once-fired Remington STS hulls for a nickel a piece. I don't see any panic amongst the shotgunners around here. New shells, hulls, primers and powder are still readily available.

FestusHaggen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I am just getting started in reloading, is there an advantage to "once fired" over new shells? Also, looking online I see "skived" or "unskived", does this refer to fired or unfired? I am unfamiliar with that term in reference to shot shells.

flyfishinva

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    I am just getting started in reloading, is there an advantage to "once fired" over new shells? Also, looking online I see "skived" or "unskived", does this refer to fired or unfired? I am unfamiliar with that term in reference to shot shells.

The advantage of once-fired hulls is they are considerably cheaper (often free if salvaged from a clays range) and they are easier to crimp as they are already "folded". New-manufacture hulls can be easier to use if roll-crimping. As stated the current market value of Remington gun clubs (one of the best reloading hulls...all current manufacture unibody Remington hulls use the same load data) is 2 cents each.

Skived hulls have the mouth thinned to allow for easier crimping.

Nate

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    12 ga hulls

The advantage of once-fired hulls is they are considerably cheaper (often free if salvaged from a clays range) and they are easier to crimp as they are already "folded". New-manufacture hulls can be easier to use if roll-crimping. As stated the current market value of Remington gun clubs (one of the best reloading hulls...all current manufacture unibody Remington hulls use the same load data) is 2 cents each.

Skived hulls have the mouth thinned to allow for easier crimping.

Nate

I must admit I had never heard the word "skived" hulls before. I've been reloading shotgun shells since 1965.

I hate to be argumentative but the reason Gun Club once fired hulls are selling for .02 each is that many folks won't even consider reloading them - and often just give them away if they happen to save them at all. There is a reason that Winchester AA and Remington STS hulls command a premium - .05 to .06 each. The reason is that they are a better quality and; therefore, provide more reloads before the wear out and the base is made of brass instead of steel. The Gun Club hulls have steel bases which are difficult, if not impossible, to resize which may make them difficult to chamber. Especially in an auto loading shotgun. They are also reported to be hard on the barrel chamber causing excessive wear - although I have not seen any definitive proof of this.

The hulls may use the same load data - but I will not use any steel based hull in my over/under shotguns just as I will not use some of the less expensive primers such as Cheddite or Fiochi as they are harder on firing pins. (This has been proven). If your goal is to compile the absolutely least expensive reload then loading Gun Clubs may be in the equation. If your goal is make a quality reloaded shell I would not use them. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom