• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    So at the last gun show I picked up some bullets (INDIANA BULLET CO Quality bullets CAST BULLETS FREE SHIPPING) I am confused as to the powder amount to be used. From what I have been reading on the net titegroup is not good for this weight of bullet and also I have an issue with my lee autodisk. I do not believe it will drop this low of a grain count

From Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com its saying 3.2 gr whereas my lyman and speer book say 2.4 gr for lead. The conclusion I am coming to says use a different powder for above bullet.

Titegroup doesnt seem to require as much powder as others. I dont think it will work well with my lee powder drop.

I am a noob have yet to reload my 1st bullet just dont want to make a mistake that could cause harm or damage.

Thoughts?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    So at the last gun show I picked up some bullets (INDIANA BULLET CO Quality bullets CAST BULLETS FREE SHIPPING) I am confused as to the powder amount to be used. From what I have been reading on the net titegroup is not good for this weight of bullet and also I have an issue with my lee autodisk. I do not believe it will drop this low of a grain count

From Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com its saying 3.2 gr whereas my lyman and speer book say 2.4 gr for lead. The conclusion I am coming to says use a different powder for above bullet.

Titegroup doesnt seem to require as much powder as others. I dont think it will work well with my lee powder drop.

I am a noob have yet to reload my 1st bullet just dont want to make a mistake that could cause harm or damage.

Thoughts?

The Hodgdon data is for jacketed, not lead.

as a general rule, lead bullets will require less powder than a jacketed bullet of the same weight. They will also reach max pressure with less powder.

You can use titegroup for lead bullets, it'll just be REALLY smoky.

beardedbrodel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    West of Indy
    I reload 124gr 9mm. I used to reload with titegroup but found it to be very smokey. I now use Winchester 231. It is not nearly as smokey as the tightgroup but there is still a little smoke when compared to a jacketed bullet. I prefer to shoot the lead bullets over jacketed due to the price difference.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've loaded 147s over TG almost exclusively. Probably nearing 150k of them. However my experience is mostly w/ JHP and some FMJ, no lead. I load 3.4 gr TG, OAL = 1.150-"

In a Glock 19 I get 131.5 PF (895 fps), in a Glock 34 I get 138 PF (939 fps), in a Beretta 92 I got 133.5PF (910 fps).

I cannot address your Lee autodisk. But the stuff meters awesome out of my Dillon. I almost always see single digit std. dev. over the chrono, and well w/in 0.1 gr per powder throw.

If you start on the low end, then just work up till you get the velocity you are looking for (~900 fps should do).

Have you tried googling around for "lead 147 titegroup?" I bet it's been discussed on the web before and you could find some safe starting loads (always start less than peoples recommendations and work up).

-rvb

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    The reason I say that the auto disk cant do it is because on the lowest setting of the disks, with titegroup, is a powder drop of 3.5 ( 3.x something). I do have an old lyman powder drop I think I am going to try and run it at 2.4gr and see what happens.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    My subsonic 147 load with berrys plated bullets is 3.0 titegroup, I used to load 3.2 but depending on the weather I would get the occasional supersonic crack.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I use typically 2.8-3 grains, doesn't matter if jacketed or lead. Never had a problem. The variation I list is dependant upon the gun: My Glocks like the 3 grain, Beretta likes the 2.8. Mind you, these are my guns, yours may be different. Regardless of the charge, it's subsonic, light recoil, accurate and fun.

I've noticed that Titegroup is just smokey in general, jacketed or lead. Lead will have more smoke due to the bullet lube (not necessarily the lead itself unless you REALLY screwed up), but combined with Titegroup, well, I shoot at an primarily outdoor situation, so it's not a big deal. :D

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    The reason I say that the auto disk cant do it is because on the lowest setting of the disks, with titegroup, is a powder drop of 3.5 ( 3.x something). I do have an old lyman powder drop I think I am going to try and run it at 2.4gr and see what happens.

You have to get the minidisc kit. Also try WST instead of Titegroup if you can.

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    I have talked with a Glock Rep. and do not use lead bullets in your glock!!!!! It is not safe and will void factory warranty

It really depends on a lot of variables. One brand I've shot, were unsafe in my Glock barrel after 5rds. Another brand I could shoot all day, and would leave my barrel cleaner than if I was shooting factory FMJs (Now I'm kicking myself for throwing out the box before writing the brand name down).

That said, you should check it often to be sure that the specific load you are using is safe in your Glock barrel.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    I'm going to try 4 different loads tomorrow. All using 147 cast bullets.
    Titegroup - 2.5 and 2.8 gr. as per Lymans manual. And Win 231 3.2 and 3.5 gr. Hopefully that will be a good starting point. Altho it shouldn't be an issue, I'll be watch cases and primers for too much pressure.
    Thanx for the help!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom