• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djsmith1000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    United States
    I have some 158 gn cast flat points and a Lee mold to make more. This is a little large for 9mm but I know some make subsonic loads with it. Any experience with this?
    Could I expect significantly lower recoil?
    Feed problems likely?
    How about for defense? Any load data for HS-6?

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    First NEVER use reloads for self defense IMO Xtreme bullet makes 165 9mm. Thinking about a 250 box? Starting load would be the starting load for 147 I would think? If you seat them at normal OAL they should work. I would make a few dummies and try them before loading any. Good luck Let us know how they came out.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I second the DO NOT USE hand loads for self defense. 2 reasons.

1. The chances of getting a bad round ie no powder, over charge, etc are greater than a premium factory sd ammo load.
    2. If you have to use it for a self defense shooting, the prosecutor could twist it into a "you make your own ammo to be more deadly than even the police use so you must have been looking for trouble."

There is a member on here who hand loaded his sd ammo for his 10mm and had to use it. Even though he was not charged, he said he never do it again. They gave him a hard time about it. I'll try to find the thread for you.

djsmith1000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    United States
    That's a good read. Thanks. I will still probably be loading up some of these, but likely won't use them for defense. Won't be loading up until later this winter for spring testing, but will report back results. Any more info/experience still appreciated.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I hope you guys are aware that there is a member here on Ingo that used handloaded ammo in a fatal self defense shooting and he was not crucified, flogged or sent to the electric chair for using it. A good shoot is a good shoot.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Using the Lee 358-158-RF? Can't speak for 9mm P, but I've used it in 38ACP ammo for my Broomhandle. I have used the Lee 358-125-RF in 9mm P, only issue was the bullet profile engaging the lands early on my Browning. Wasn't a problem with the Beretta.:)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I hope you guys are aware that there is a member here on Ingo that used handloaded ammo in a fatal self defense shooting and he was not crucified, flogged or sent to the electric chair for using it. A good shoot is a good shoot.

Refer to post #4 of this thread.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    The 158gr and 165gr are more suitable for 38 super but can be loaded for a 9mm. This is if they are .356. Are your bullets .356 or .358?

djsmith1000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    United States
    Part of this is I'm trying to minimize how many types of components, dies, etc. And part of it is I want a round that has a little less sharp of recoil but still full power for sitting out of a subcompact. I'm not sure if this makes much difference on recoil.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Some 9mm wll actually shoot better with cast dropping @ .358. You need to slug your barrel to be sure. I have a friend with a Belgian HiPower that woudnt shoot cast at all. Keyhole and leading galore. Slugged the barrel and was dropping @ .3575. Loaded up some of the Lee .358-125 and shoots target loads like a dream. In doing some internet research it seems that most HiPowers have slightly larger than average bores.

on the flip side my brand new shield measure .3555 and I had to send my Lee mold back because it was dropping right at .358 and was having trouble chambering the round.

Para19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    They're 358 but I have sized some down to 356. I will load them in 357 and 38 as well.

The poster above is correct. You can slug your barrel to find if it is .356 or larger. I have a 9mm that measure .357 so .358 would work great. If it is .356 or .357 you won't have to resize the bullets.

Para19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Some 9mm wll actually shoot better with cast dropping @ .358. You need to slug your barrel to be sure. I have a friend with a Belgian HiPower that woudnt shoot cast at all. Keyhole and leading galore. Slugged the barrel and was dropping @ .3575. Loaded up some of the Lee .358-125 and shoots target loads like a dream. In doing some internet research it seems that most HiPowers have slightly larger than average bores.

on the flip side my brand new shield measure .3555 and I had to send my Lee mold back because it was dropping right at .358 and was having trouble chambering the round.

You can size those down to .356 to work.

djsmith1000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    United States
    That's a good idea on slugging the bore. I've never done it before, but am getting leading on a couple of my guns, so I should try it. Looks easy enough. Can you get away with just slightly compressing a normal bullet to fatten it and using that for slugging?

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    That's a good idea on slugging the bore. I've never done it before, but am getting leading on a couple of my guns, so I should try it. Looks easy enough. Can you get away with just slightly compressing a normal bullet to fatten it and using that for slugging?

I have always just cast a new boolit and slugged the barrel with the newly cast boolit still warm and somewhat pliable

Top Bottom