• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    My prediction is that we are going to have a mild winter as usual. There has not been a real winter (in my opinion) in over 5 years. Whenever it snows it seems it is gone within 10 days max. Temperatures lingered above 25 some days as well

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My prediction is that we are going to have a mild winter as usual. There has not been a real winter (in my opinion) in over 5 years. Whenever it snows it seems it is gone within 10 days max. Temperatures lingered above 25 some days as well

I have put in a lot more wood this year so I am curious how much I will use.
    Snow is an insulator of sorts. If there is 6"s on the roof the house will hold the heat better.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have worked out in the elements most all of my life so it is not hard for me to adjust. But spending time out in the single digits is not near as easy as it used to be.

I worked mostly outside on a geotechnical drilling crew for the better part of 5 years when I was first out of college. That work's easier in the heat - but we did plenty of quite chilly-weather work and a fair bit of cold work. Nature of the beast was that we couldn't work when it was TOO COLD because we couldn't allow our samples to freeze.

But I've now been out of that job 2x as long as I was in it. I've gotten softer towards the weather, ALL weather, every year since. It doesn't help any that I'm also 17 years older than when I first started - and am in way way way poorer physical condition.

Used to be able to be outside all day in below-freezing temps and be just fine. Now its as if I have to put on every single thermal garment I have or I'm cold for days.

As far as "snow predictions": I'll believe it when I see it.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I believe the Almanac said the midwestern states can expect a warm but wet winter. After that mess in January of 2014,I no longer think snow storms are exciting.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Damn that sucks, mind if i ask what you do?

Work in a steel mill... electronics, instrumentation, and control systems.
    Normally, even in the coldest of winter, the hot steel keeps most of the building warm.
    But, we MUST keep the steel flowing.
    The steel stops, the we have no heat except in the offices. The place is like a giant water park, and we'd have to worry about freezing pipes and equipment.
    Or, worry about equipment going wonky, and putting 2,900 degree steel where it ain't supposed to go. Which is BAD.

Here's some stuff, not from my Plant though.
    But I have seen accidents like these.
    [video=youtube;usBraioG]http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=usBraioG scE[/video]

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have worked out in the elements most all of my life so it is not hard for me to adjust. But spending time out in the single digits is not near as easy as it used to be.

I worked mostly outside on a geotechnical drilling crew for the better part of 5 years when I was first out of college. That work's easier in the heat - but we did plenty of quite chilly-weather work and a fair bit of cold work. Nature of the beast was that we couldn't work when it was TOO COLD because we couldn't allow our samples to freeze.

But I've now been out of that job 2x as long as I was in it. I've gotten softer towards the weather, ALL weather, every year since. It doesn't help any that I'm also 17 years older than when I first started - and am in way way way poorer physical condition.

Used to be able to be outside all day in below-freezing temps and be just fine. Now its as if I have to put on every single thermal garment I have or I'm cold for days.

As far as "snow predictions": I'll believe it when I see it.

I've worked outside for the last 20 years, year round. It's not as easy as it used to be!
    I've found as long as my feet are warm I'm GTG. That's where a good pair of Mickey Mouse boots comes in handy

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    xoMXJbcl.jpg
    Last winter, warm on the back, cold on the front.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm predicting winter will start late December and last about 3 months then in late march it will be spring .

That's a pretty detailed prediction, you must be one of those magic wizards or something! :):

Reminds me of George Carlin's "Hippy Dippy Weatherman" skit...

"Tonight's forecast - dark. Continued darkness with some scattered light towards morning." :):

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Reminds me of George Carlin's "Hippy Dippy Weatherman" skit...

"Tonight's forecast - dark. Continued darkness with some scattered light towards morning." :):

I liked Roosevelt E. Roosevelt's weather report from Good Morning Vietnam.:laugh:

Top Bottom