• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    Hey guys, I’m going to buy a Savage 17HMR. I’m wondering if I should buy one with a heavy barrrl or if it really matters. I’m looking at either the A17 (semi auto) or B17 (bolt action)

they are around (Evansville area) with a regular barrel, but I can’t find either with a heavy barrel. Should I just get the regular barrel or order one from Buds Gun Shop?

What say you?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Heavy barrel made a huge difference in the accuracy of the 17wsm, I've never compared the hmr, my step father carries a heavy barrel hmr and it is a tack driver.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would go pencil for hunting and moving around with. I have a heavy barreled Savage 93r and somewhat regret buying it. It's heavy.

Do your homework. The new magazine design is hard to load. Deal breaker for me. I would go with an older 93r and let them work the bugs out of those new guns over the next few years.

I guess I'm going to find a pencil 93r model and retire the heavy barrel for bench target use.

The 17HMR is such a sweet round. I love it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If you go with the semi-auto, you're pretty much stuck with the A-17 ammo. IIRC, it doesn't work that well with any other type of ammo.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    The 93r''s weren't without problems either. My scope base screws were all cross threaded from factory, mag went into garbage along with the toy stock. For the price I can live with the work it needed. She shoots like a laser now.

redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    Thanks for the input guys! I found a 93r17 with thumbhole stock and stainless bull barrel i love. I’m picking it up in a couple hours. And they have a $50 rebate right now, so that’s just extra ammo.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    For hunting I'd go with the light barrel. My 17HMR isn't a Savage (after owning a Rascal, I doubt I'd ever buy another Savage), but it's a thin barreled Henry and shoots extremely well. For hunting where you'll be carrying it around, I wouldn't want a rifle heavier than it needs to be.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks for the input guys! I found a 93r17 with thumbhole stock and stainless bull barrel i love. I’m picking it up in a couple hours. And they have a $50 rebate right now, so that’s just extra ammo.

Sweet gun dude. You will love it. Take a pic for us to see

Cabelas had Vmax on sale 9 bucks a box free shipping. Needless to say I loaded up.

Last edited:

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    With a bolt gun , you dont have to worry about anyone loading up yer mags and pulling the trigger as fast as they can while u mumble to yerself just how much money went down range without even really aiming(a-17, sister AND nephew :ar15:). I enjoyed both 93s i had and it was nice to actually bring home ammo boxes with round still left in them. Enjoy yer new gun!

redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    I’ve still gotta mount my scope, but here she is.

imagejpeg

Top Bottom