• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    OK, my buddy got a .17 HMR. It is nice and a tack driver. At less than 50 yards, it will set off tannerite. We started shooting tannerite the other day at 100 yards. It appeared that I missed 3 times in a row. I went and got the tannerite and it had 3 holes in the front of the flimsy plastic container and none out the back. Sure enough, none of the 3 bullets penetrated the approximately 2.5 inches of loose prill (think loose sand). Not only was the energy not enough to set off the tannerite, it appeared that the energy was not enough to penetrate much at 100 yards. We were using two different types of CCI 17 HMR ammunition. One type had a ballistic tip and the other was a hollow point. Is something wrong or is that really all the energy the round has at 100 yards?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    17 gr pill, 1900 ft/sec at 100 yards, 136 ft-lbs of energy at 100, the perfect round for squirrels and small game at 50-75, sometimes to 125 for squirrels and prarie dogs, but to penetrate 2-3 inches of loose sand at 100, no, I'm not surprised.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Yes, but my target weighed exactly 2 pounds and did not twitch. I also shot at a 1 pound target that did not fall over or move at 100 yards. If it is imparting its energy, there must be almost no energy. I could flick the container with my middle finger hard enough to impart motion on the container. I doubt I could knock it over with a flip but I could easily with one finger.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    17 gr pill, 1900 ft/sec at 100 yards, 136 ft-lbs of energy at 100, the perfect round for squirrels and small game at 50-75, sometimes to 125 for squirrels and prarie dogs, but to penetrate 2-3 inches of loose sand at 100, no, I'm not surprised.
    This ^^^

The HMR was never designed to penetrate. It is designed to impart its energy to the target very rapidly. Explosively, in my experience.
    and This ^^^

It's a 17 gr bullet... do you realize just how light that is? That is 1/25 of an ounce...
    This round is designed to be light and fast. It loses energy fast, but puts small game down really well within 100 yards.

What more do you expect? If you want to reliably set tannerite off without a loud shot, then get a suppressed centerfire. I use my suppressed .308 to set it off, it works a lot better than my 17.

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    As others have stated,this is a round designed to explode on impact and not penetrate.I have used it for 3 years now on prairie dogs and have shot them out to 200 yards with great sucess.I don't think you can beat this round on small game.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    As others have stated,this is a round designed to explode on impact and not penetrate.I have used it for 3 years now on prairie dogs and have shot them out to 200 yards with great sucess.I don't think you can beat this round on small game.

"Have shot them out to 200 yards." Have you killed any or just annoyed them? At 100 yards, it did not appear it would kill a dog.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    i had a 17hmr for about a year and pretty much only shot pop cans filled with water. i also shot paper targets with it and i liked the groups it produced.

the punchline is i always felt like the pop can filled with water was about the limit of what you could do with that round at 100 yards.

my :twocents:.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I shot shaken full pop cans. It turned them inside out like a centerfire. Much unlike a 22lr that just puts holes in them. At 100 yards, I am confident that the round would not exit the can. At least not the CCI rounds I tried the other day.

awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    Me and a friend both shoot .17s quite frequently and shoot pop cans at 215 yds and still penetrate through both sides of the can

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    17 hmr

The 17 HMR has been very effective on ground hogs for me. I shoot a Hornady 17 grain V-MAX bullet and on 150 to 175 yrd. shots enough energy remains in bullet to create large exit wounds on ground hogs. This isn't just a paper punching caliber.

Last edited:

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    the .17 is also available in a FMJ round. It does penetrate differently than the HP and gamepoint rounds. As mentioned it will reliably kill prarie dogs out to 200 yards. It doesn't create the 'red mist' that a centerfire would, but makes them DRT.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    So to answer the OP, you can set off tannerite at 100 yards with the 22wmr, where the 17 wmr will not?

I have never tried, my point is the .22MWR packs more punch at that distance. I have never seen the point of a .17. It may fly faster and truer, but you might as well use a sling shot in my opinion.

Top Bottom