• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Ok, was thinking about a new plinker to replace an older .22 rifle. Was thinking I was going to buy another .22 but mine functions fine, just older so I started looking at .17 HMR. I don’t know much about them but like what I have seen so far. So, if you have first hand pros and cons of the HMR it would be great. I will be using it for ground hogs, squirrels, coyotes and such aside from target shooting. Thanks for the help!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you watch the classifieds, you can occasionally find deals on guns and ammo, especially from folks getting away from 17HMR.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've got probably a 10 or 11 year old Savage camo .17hmr. It was a scope/gun combo. it shoots like a laser beam. It is one of my favorite guns. I've even taken it out for coyote, although I haven't seen one when hunting with it yet. I probably have more confidence in shot placement hunting with this gun than any other. I killed a squirrel at well over 100 yards with it. If that doesn't build confidence, I don't know what would.

I originally bought it as a back-up gun to a .223 for prairie dog hunting. I was told that when you get on them, you'll heat the barrel up so much you'll need a backup, so this was my choice. Funny, I made all that prep, including buying a bunch of ammo, but I've never gone for the dogs. Maybe one day. The gun is a keeper, though.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I believe the .17 HMR is inherently accurate. I've had HMR rifles from several different manufacturers and every one of them has been capable of 1" at 100 yards. The only semi-auto of the bunch is a converted 10/22M and it's as accurate as the bolt guns. Let your checkbook and your taste in guns be your guide. My experience says you won't be disappointed.

Principal Skinr, the .17 gr VMax is impressive on prairie dogs at 100 yards and a bit more.

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Love my 17hmr. Explosive on targets and incredibly accurate. Only con is wind and ammo cost.

Keep mine around for now although will probably go down to the HM2 in a light weight rifle for squirrels.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I had a 17HMR barrel for my T/C Contender and it was very accurate, but I couldn't justify the 18 cents plus per shot. I just load my 22K Hornet to do the same thing at half to three quarter the price. If you aren't a handloader though its a great choice.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    17 HMR is a great round. Be aware though, that it is loud. About as loud as 22 magnum. Also, if you're shooting squirrels to eat, it does tend to blow them up pretty good. I consider the 17 HMR to be a little light for coyote, unless you can hit them in the head every time. I use my CZ in 17 HMR for possum, coon, and 100-200 yard turtleheads in the pond. When it comes to Rimfire calibers, it's nice to have choices!

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I appreciate all the help and information from everyone. If I pick one up it will be for varmits and fun. Don’t eat groundhogs and that will be the primary target for it. Thanks again everyone.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Just a little visual help for ya. CZ 455 Varmint.
    5DATIdCh.jpg

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Picked up a new Savage .17HMR today in a private sale from Armslist. Gun was new, scope was still in sealed package as were rings. Think I got a decent deal. Put the scope on, eyeballed it because I don’t have a bore sight. 5 rounds later I was killing beer cans. Ran 25 rounds down the pipe with probably a 90% success rate in hits. Will dial her in a little closer when it stops raining and being cold. Fun little gun so far!
    97C1292C-942C-46CC-95DC-A0FFB28FDFEA.jpg

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Since Raccoons have decided to move in on our property, I’ve been thinking of adding a 17 HMR to the mix. Either a Savage bolt action or a new barrel for my Encore....

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Big fan of 17HMR. Back during the 22LR ammo crunch, we were looking for a new rifle for my son and took a chance on a Savage. Scoped it with a simple Simmons 3 x 9 scope and dialed it in. WOW is it fun. As others have said the only drawbacks are ammo cost and sometimes wind.

Once we had the scope zeroed we did an "orange" test against 22LR. Really wish I'd taken pics to prove the results. The 22LR hollow point (fired from a 10/22 take-down rifle) mucked up the orange pretty good. Not sure how to best describe the 17HMR results, but it basically peeled and juiced the orange. I was impressed at what a potent little round the 17HMR is. And the Savage accutrigger is really nice.

Last edited:

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    love my cz with adjustable stock. Don't worry about the cost of ammo. It is not bad and this is not a poor mans hobby anyway. We were shooting though a quarter literally at 100 yards. I taped a quarter to the target and we put a few right though it. We also did it with a 22 and to my surprise it did not go though, just a nice bump. Not sure that means anything but lol..

Top Bottom