• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Don't know if this is a nono here or not, but I'll find out. Go to Air guns, BB Guns, Pellet Guns and Air Rifles from Crosman, Gamo, Walther and Beeman - PyramydAir.com and investigate and then decide for yourself. You can spend a little, you can spend a LOT. I have a Beeman R9 .177 break barrel myself. My buddy who did a spring job and souped it up for me turned me onto these.

Side note, and this is my personal opinion, stay away from Gamo. You may get lucky and get a good one, I went through 4 bad ones and told them I wanted a full refund. You also can't come even close to recouping funds on them on the air gun boards. After I bought my R9 I had several offers of more money for it.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I got a Benjamin air rifle "chambered" (:D) in .177 and still shoots great, rabbits, squirrels, 'possum and many birds have fallen to it. Its about 11 years old and still in excellent working order.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    i have a Gamo Hunter that shoots .17 pellet at or over 1000fps. It will light up a small varmint before it knew what hit it... It shoots well w/ a scope. Might be interested in selling it too...

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I picked up one of these at Dick's on my way home last night.
    http://www.crosman.com/airguns/remington/RW1K77X2. It was on sale for $89.99. I took the first box off the shelf, and the one behind it had a free sling inside, so I took that one.

I also picked up a pellet catch/target holder.

I only shot about 10 rounds last night as it was raining and dark by the time I finished with my "chores" around the house. Seems fairly accurate, but the sights feel pretty cheap and are made of plastic.

I'm pretty sure this thing is louder than a silenced .22lr. Maybe that is just because the spring is right next to my ear, or because I was also hearing the "ping" of the pellets hitting the catch. But I my wife couldn't hear it inside. Sounds like people say these aren't as loud after a few hundred shots... like a break-in period. :dunno:

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Yes, they are loud when the spring releases. If you decide you're going to scope it you need to get a scope specific to airguns, anything else will never hold zero. If you do scope it you'll end up putting more in the scope than the rifle.

I'd be more than happy to bring my Beeman over and let you see what its like. Its nowhere near the top end in airguns, but its above anything you'll find in the stores.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    If you decide you're going to scope it you need to get a scope specific to airguns, anything else will never hold zero. If you do scope it you'll end up putting more in the scope than the rifle.

It actually came with a scope. I figured I wouldn't mount it until I had determined accuracy with the "irons". I think they should hold zero pretty well (so long as I don't bump them at all).

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Well... Accuracy has proven difficult.

I'm Shooting at a pellet trap that is about 8" square. I was pretty well zeroed at 20 yards on Thursday, hitting 3" diameter groups. On Friday, the group seemed to have moved about 4" down and left. Temperatures had dropped significantly. With a variety of materials between the metal barrel, plastic sight holders, fiber optic sights, etc., temperature changes must make a difference. I was surprised/disappointed at my results.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Ammo makes a big difference. I use Crosman domed, can't remember the weight but they are the light not the heavy. You can play around with all the other and see which does best, but Crosman makes a better pellet IMHO.

Also it could be the gun, a lot of the cheaper pellet guns have quality issues. As I said about Gamo, you may get a good one, or go through several bad ones.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I'm using wadcutters at present. I'll try some different ones.

Also, one time the action broke completely open when I shot it. I've been using a sling like I do with a rifle shooting offhand (tight up around my arm hasty style). It surprised me quite a bit, so I checked to ensure the barrel was clear. I couldn't see through it until I blew through it. Couldn't be good, but I haven't given up on this gun.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    I was taught to not have a hard grip on an air rifle. Front hand just supports the fore grip. I could see where the tight sling support method would break the barrel open. Think more along the lines of following through in the direction of the shot.

When the spring releases tension the plunger and spring are both moving, you get parallel motion to the rifle but you also will get perpendicular motion because of the spring. On my Beaman I had a spring and guide job done to make most of the energy parallel to the barrel.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Ammo makes all the difference...try several different types of pellets. They even sell pellet samplers with several different types of pellets so you can see what is most accurate in your rifle. I think pyramid air has them.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    my father bought me an rws m34 (pretty sure) years ago, single shot break barrel .177. its very accurate and has brought years of fun to me, got it when i was prolly 10 or 12, and it will be the first thing that my kids will shoot (and i dont have any kids yet) so my vote if for any of the rws rifles, little more expensive, but as with all firearms ou get what you pay for imo

Top Bottom