• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trapdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    DFW area
    I’m looking at 17Hm2 cal. for use as a squirrel rifle. What has been your experience with this cal. Is it to destructive? From what I’ve read it is a very accurate cal. with excellent ballistics/trajectory out to 100 yards. In you experience, is this correct? Has anyone used a CZ?
    Thanks in advance for your reply.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I’m looking at 17Hm2 cal. for use as a squirrel rifle. What has been your experience with this cal. Is it to destructive? From what I’ve read it is a very accurate cal. with excellent ballistics/trajectory out to 100 yards. In you experience, is this correct? Has anyone used a CZ?
    Thanks in advance for your reply.

I personally don't shoot or own a 17 Mach 2, however I hunt with a friend that uses one exclusively for squirrel hunting. It's an awesome caliber for tree rats. He can keep his shots in the size of a quarter out to 75yds. It also seems to be a lot more quieter than a .22 cal rifle.:twocents:

yoteskinner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Hillsdale, Vermillion County
    I have a Savage MII in 17M2 topped with a BSA 17 MachII scope. I absolutely love shooting this gun. On squirrels it is a head or low chest shot. You hit a shoulder and the whole front end is trashed.
    We use it coon hunting. Head shot, 1 very small entrance hole and usually no exit. I've sniped a swimming beaver from a lake at 125 yds and have hit a crow out to 230 yds. 230 is way out of its range. As far as quieter than a 22, its more of a higher pitched crack.

trapdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    DFW area
    Looking for a CZ

I think CZ is the direction I want to go if I can find one. What ammo does your rifle prefer? What scope do you have?:dunno:

dw357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I have a .17 HMR and love it for squirrels. It is much louder than a .22 cal though.

treeman22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Indy North
    I've been wanting an hm2 for a long time now, but haven't bought one yet. People I've talked to say it's perfect for squirrel. More destructive than a .22LR, but pinpoint accurate. Chest shots work great, and there's not much meat on the chest anyway.

trapdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    DFW area
    I’m being told the same thing. Super performer but the problem seems to be ammo. Not many varieties are available and not just every gun store keeps a supply in stock.

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    I have shot many prairie dogs with this and it works great-also great on squirrel-both Savage and CZ are great guns and very accurate-I have a Anchutz I just got and am really anxious to get it sighted in to see how it performs.

Top Bottom