• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    I like the savage one, but ive read plenty of nice things about the marlin... um 917 i think its called.

RP, where are you from? i cant remember.

rinker_32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Darlington, IN
    I would go with a savage. I have a 93R17 and it is definitely a tack driver. Nice for target practicing or small varmint. The CCI .17hmr TNT ammo is extremely effective for small varmint. There are several nice .17hmr's, if its your first, savage is very reasonable.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    I have the Savage and really like it. Like everyone has said its a tack driver! I have a buddy who has the Marlin and likes it also. Me and G-pa have the Savage and no problems! Just my 2cents.

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    If you want a good gun go with a Savage, i have one in the .17HMR and its very accurate. Now if you want a GREAT gun go with the CZ Model 452 in .17HMR. The CZ is top notch in both accuracy and quality and i gurantee you won't be disappointed. Just my 2 cents.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I have the savage 93R17 and its a great shooting gun and the accu trigger is great! Ive got a "made for gander" gun which the only thing different about it is instead of a SS barrel its blued also has a laminate thumb hole stock...out the door for under $325. my NEF sportster in 17hmr is a tack driver as well but it is a single shot.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Getting a little redundent with the Savage but what the HEck, can't beat the quality!:dunno: When I bought my HMR I didn't have the extra cash and no one around close had a Savage so I bought a Marlin 917V. It is wonderful as far as accuracy and I only spent $129.95 at Wally World in Seymour(display rifle) so I didn't get hurt at all. Mine likes the Winchester 17Vmax the best but the CCI TNTs follow closely behind. I have not got to use it on too many animals, 1 Coyote 87yds, 2squirrels 50yds and 113yds, and half a dozen or so crows from 30 to 160yds and it is devastating! I don't hunt persay with mine because I always have something larger or smaller that gets the job done but it is still a blast to shoot!

Whatever your choice I think you will be happy!;)

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I need to add something new..

but I can't. Go with the Savage, my best shooting buddy has one and boy is a great rifle. He found the the CCI ammo works best and will consistently shoot a 1/2" group or less at 100 yards. No Bravo Sierra. Great trigger that is adjustable, the price cannot be beat.

Go with the Savage.

Terry :yesway:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Another good thing about going with a savage is there is a decent amount of aftermarket items. I know there are a ton of stocks if you want to change that out.

and if you don't, it's still a great gun. Sounds like a broken record in here.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'll pile on to the Savage bandwagon. My wife had one, a 93R17, blued, bull barrel, Accu-trigger, scope. She routinely shot 3/4" groups at 100 yards with it. She got a real kick out of it.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i have a few in tenn. i dont think there is a bad one made.there was a ruger 77-17 at gander a few weeks ago for 299.00.i told typhoon about it so he may have gotten it if someone else didnt.it is just an accurate cartrige.i dont have any real nice ones but i got the cheap 93 savages and a marlin hb when they first came out.they are both great so i dont even consider buying another one but saying that i will have another one in a week.it one of thosde got to have one guyns for me.i like the mach 11 better

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I just have one $. Why would you want to spend that much on ammo to punch paper? I mean $15 for 50 rounds. I can buy 200 rounds of .22LR for that. Also .22LR is just as affective for taking small game. I just do not understand the whole craze over the .17.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I just have one $. Why would you want to spend that much on ammo to punch paper? I mean $15 for 50 rounds. I can buy 200 rounds of .22LR for that. Also .22LR is just as affective for taking small game. I just do not understand the whole craze over the .17.

The .22 is a 50 yard gun, the .17 HMR is a 100 yard gun. You can reach out further with either, but those are the ranges that are easy. With the .17 HMR you sight in at 100 yards, and from 25 yards to 100 you are never more than 1/2" high or low. It's like a little laser. It's certainly still subject to wind drift, but due to it's speed it only drifts about 1/2 as much as a .22. It's a more accurate cartridge than the .22. Yeah, there are .22s that will shoot as tight as a .17HMR, but not for $300. It's also got the oomph to effectively drop foxes, and coyotes if one is picky about range and shot selection.

The .17 HMR is just a really neat cartridge. Prices are more like $12 per 50. More expensive than bulk .22 LRs, but much fun in it's own right.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I have shot the savage. It's a great gun. My brother is getting ready to buy his first gun and I'm talking him into it haha :D

Top Bottom