• pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Tends not to work too well in 9mm guns… ‍
    Duh...

Everybody is dumping their 40 S&W handguns because now all of a sudden 9mm is good enough. Instead of spending a ridiculous amount on a non-reloadable, boutique 9mm round one could simply pick up one of the inexpensive police trade-ins and carry 40 caliber.

Unless you want heavy subs for a suppressed weapon, it's a solution without a problem.

Last edited:

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Unless you want heavy subs for a suppressed weapon, it's a solution without a problem.
    Yes, that’s what I alluded to in my OP. I ran across this ammo because I was looking for subsonic JHP options (for a suppressed AR9) and just wondered if anyone else had used this particular ammo.

I agree that the .40 S&W ballistics are similar and I’m aware that I can buy a used Glock 22 for cheap, but what I’m looking for isn’t solved by a new caliber.

FWIW, a 10mm is my EDC, so I’m definitely on your side about 9mm not being the caliber to replace all calibers! Just a specific use case in mind here.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Very interesting concept, but I'm not sure I like the hybrid cases.
    I don't believe those are reloadable.

A 185gr bullet moving 900fps is going to hit like a ton of bricks.
    Those are shell shock cases, they are hybrid steel/nickel plated brass, yes they can be reloaded but you have to have special dies, they’re 100 bucks!

I had to buy a new set of dies because a case got stuck in my de-capper, on the downstroke and separated the steel from the brass, and I couldn’t get it out, since the shell shock is getting more prevalent, I’m picking it up, and keeping it and when I find someone who reloads it, I’ll sell it to them to recoup the cost of buying a new set of dies

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    With such a large 185 grn bullet; what is the powder and charge being used? How much space is even left in the case for a powder charge?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    They sure don't seem to publish much info on the projectile and how they get to that higher mass. I was figuring riyhet the faq or R&D page would have some actual information on what they were using for projectile material and some testing info on expansion, etc. Didn't see any.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    With such a large 185 grn bullet; what is the powder and charge being used? How much space is even left in the case for a powder charge?
    Well I would guess,
    With a 185 grain bullet thats only 40 more grains of metal in the bullet, so its like adding a 22 LR bullet.
    And I would load with a medium burner like AA#% and with a 147 grainier, my books shows 4.6 gr. of AA#5 as a max load @ 950 FPS. I believe with that hybrid case will keep the pockets from blowing along with being shot in unsupported pistols and not bulging cases.
    In my opinion, Its not hard to make those FPS.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    What would be the reason?
    350L uses a .357 bullet.
    I was thinking about this being said somewhere because of the AR:

Quote:
    The maximum bullet diameter in my Ruger less than .357. I have had decent results with .358 resized .356, crap results with correct .355, and have not tried resizing .357 to .356 yet. I tried checking some .357 bullets for max COAL and found that instead of contacting the lands, the bearing surface was contacting the front of the chamber where the cartridge should headspace.
    I had the same exact issue with .357(140 FTX)bullets after resizing to .356 in my Ruger AR yet the .356”s load without any contact whatsoever in 3 different Savage’s I have. Maybe The difference is in the reamers they use to finish their chambers...

End Quote.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I was thinking about this being said somewhere because of the AR:

Quote:

I had the same exact issue with .357(140 FTX)bullets after resizing to .356 in my Ruger AR yet the .356”s load without any contact whatsoever in 3 different Savage’s I have. Maybe The difference is in the reamers they use to finish their chambers...

End Quote.
    I wonder if it was reamed for pointy bullets and not round bullets like factory loaded ammo seems to be.
    I came across a boat-load of 35 caliber Noslers at Gunslingers in Anderson, a few years back for $10.00 a box. A few hundred are partitions.
    Maybe someday I will own a .358 rifle or Contender to shoot them out of.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I've done thousands of 12ga and some metalic cartridge in expensive things like 44, 45C and must load for oddball stuff like 25-20
    and 38-55. I don't reload the normal things I use such as 9, 45ACP , 223/5.56. I suppose I would if shooting competion or shot enough of the other guns here.

Top Bottom