• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If you are shopping for a cordless drill in the 18v to 20v range, what features/specs do you guys look for in a cordless drill?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Reputable brand and Lithium battery.

Keyless chucks are nice for big bits, but I still prefer a key for small drill bits

A light is helpful.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I picked up the Black and Decker Matrix series. 20V. It is essentially a multi-tool, you can take off the drill head and replace it with a hammer-drill type head.

I also have a jig saw attachment for it. There are others.

I use it at least once a week on basic home maintenance projects. It was cheap and you can find extra batteries cheap. I love mine. The batteries last a long time and hold their charge while sitting. The hammer drill has plenty of torque for getting into concrete. And it's still fairly light-weight.

It's no DeWalt, but then I'm no contractor.

MrHank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Westfield, IN
    I purchased a Milwaukee 18v lithium Ion and very happy with the drill and the impact driver. I use to purchase Dewalt with nicad batteries but drills themselves never seamed to hold up. My :twocents: would be purchase units with lithium ion batteries Milwaukee or Makita and stay away from the junk that Lowes sells ie Porter Cable or Kobalt.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I want it to last, be able to be abused, and have torque galore.

I have a Milwaukee 18v with old Ni-Cad batteries....and it's a workout, but it never lets me down. Plastic is for the external case, not the internals.

When these batteries wear out, I fully expect to just replace them with Lithium Ion batteries and keep using the same drill.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Features?
    - Long battery life
    - quick recharge
    - multiple batteries provided
    - replacement batteries likely available for a few years
    - adjustable torque, and plenty of it
    - infinitely variable speed, from super slow (for carefully turning screws) to full-speed drilling
    - battery fits other power tools

I have a 20V Li-Ion set from Dewalt. Has the typical drill/driver and a 1/4" impact driver. Pretty sweet, and SO much nicer than the previous Craftsman (that I still have).

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I also have the Dewalt 20V drill/impact set. Used it while I fixed garage doors for a while, nowadays I use it anytime it fits and I need to screw something in. I don't have much to compare it to, but I can say it has never let me down.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    We have used Black and Decker, Ryobi and Milwaukees here at the dealership. Without a doubt the techs always grab the Dewalts first and I have seen the one tech stand and wait for the Dewalt if being used. Our Dewalt drill has fallen off many camper roofs and keeps going. Their impact is also fantastic.

If you ever need a cordless nailer, Dewalts is amazing, we love their products.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I just picked up an 18 volt Dewalt drill/driver last week. On sale for $89 at Lowes. My 9.6 volt Makita is still going strong after 19 years.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The only feature I look for is the name Milwaukee on the side.:yesway:

I have the 18V lithium ion and the battery life is great and the charge time is fast.

I do have an antique 12V Makita that simply refuses to die.

I work in a machine shop and the shop has several cordless drill laying around for everybody to use for whatever. I think we are fully converted to Milwaukee now. Used to have all DeWalts, but they didn't hold up nearly as well.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Is a cordless drill the only cordless tool you want? Now days there are all kinds of cordless things. Some useful, some not as useful. I believe makita has the largest array of cordless things all using their 18v lithium ion batteries. Some of their tools now even combine two batteries for a 36v tool. Other than that it's mostly personal preference if you aren't relying on the tool for a regular paycheck. A lithium ion battery is the only thing I would put on the must have list.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've been using (and abusing) a Porter Cable set for ~6 years now. I just now (a month or so ago) replaced the batteries. Can't beat cheap battery replacements for NiCad packs. Li-Ion batteries are great while they last, but costly to replace.

FWIW, I rebuilt 2 porter cable Ni-Cad packs for less than $25 total plus a little bit of time.

What's a replacement LI-Ion pack for any reputable brand? $75 each or more?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't know if it will serve your needs, but I went backwards a year ago to a Makita 12V combo. Pre-christmas sale for $100, I've been quite happy with this easy carry, easy on the hands drill/driver set. An Amazon best seller, the 100's of reviews reflect accordingly. The unit seems popular enough that aftermarket battery replacements from more than one company are available at 1/3-1/2 cost of Makita branded.

I filled the rest of the cool looking aluminum box up with bits, drivers and a holster. It's been a great occasional user. Seems to have plenty of power for the size, although I haven't tried to unstick any rusty lug nuts. I have drove 4" lags, drilled quite a bit and sunk lots of dry wall screws.

The small size makes it convenient for workbench driver projects. A T6 or small Phillips bit will blast apart electronics in short order. A LED trigger actuated light is now a requirement for any future drill/driver purchases.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I purchased a Milwaukee 18v lithium Ion and very happy with the drill and the impact driver. I use to purchase Dewalt with nicad batteries but drills themselves never seamed to hold up. My :twocents: would be purchase units with lithium ion batteries Milwaukee or Makita and stay away from the junk that Lowes sells ie Porter Cable or Kobalt.

I have a Milwaukee 18V and it is great. Has never let me down in the 6 years I have owned it and I work it very hard. Very hard.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Our company has over 200 service trucks. Every one of them has DeWalt cordless impacts, recip saws, etc. We've experimented with other brands and always come back to DeWalt.

Top Bottom